Trade in value --- What do you think???
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By kingtj
  • 1 Post By C "T" ess
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Trade in value --- What do you think??? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I am looking at new cars and will be trading in my 2009 CTS. The range for my car sight ...
    dean77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Trade in value --- What do you think???

I am looking at new cars and will be trading in my 2009 CTS. The range for my car sight unseen was $13K to $15.5K. When 2 dealers saw it one offered $15.5K and one was $16K. It does show nice! What have other people seen? Its a 2009 diamond white CTS4 with every option right through the premium package. Body and interior in great shape and still under warranty to 100K. It currently has 93K miles on it.

Looking for thought!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: Trade in value --- What do you think???

Dean77,

You didn't say what cars you were looking at! That does make a difference. A Ford dealer typically won't give you as much as a Gm dealer.

Unfortunately, there are WAY too many variables on a trade-in to offer 'good' advice. First off, it will never be enough!

You do have high mileage (even though it's under warranty for a while) and most people would be thinking of trading at that mileage too. Color, condition, options, locality, clean car-fax record, # of owners, how many are available in your area, etc, etc.

Have you checked the sites on the web for trade in value? That would be where I would START. Don't accept first offers, make them work to get your trade in! Dealers make more selling used than new, so work them. They want your trade unless there are problems with the car. If they don't want it, they will bid low and then wholesale it at an auction.

Good Luck, Marv

Marv,
    Thanks for the insight. My preference is towards the Infiniti M37X. I work the car deal to the best I can telling them I have no trade. Then go at the trade number. I also looked at a couple of dealers that buy used cars outright but then I would loose the sales tax difference. It has a clean car fax and I was the second owner after the GM executive that drove it originally. I got it with just over 20K miles.

I looked on line and prices are all over the place. But what people ask and what people pay are too different things. All the new car dealers told my they would auction the car as the mileage is too high.

Dean,

I know it's a REAL pain to sell it yourself, but you might be able to get more that way. If a couple of thou doesn't make a difference, then trade it in. Once you get a trade in value, list it on Craigslist for a couple of thou more and see what happens. It might surprise you.

Where are you located? There have been a couple of members looking for cars recently. Have you thought of listing it here on the classified site?

Anyway, good luck and keep us in the loop, Marv

Thanks again Marv. I am located in central Mass. I am currently looking at $16K as a best offer with Mass state tax difference - that's $17K --- I guess I could list it at $19K and see what happens.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

I traded my 09 in this past January. It had 66k miles, AWD, Luxury 1 package, sunroof, upgraded paint. The dealer offered me $16k, which was on par with other quotes I had received. I didn't care to haggle much, I got a great deal on my new vehicle, and I was just happy to be rid of the CTS.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    I traded my 09 in this past January. It had 66k miles, AWD, Luxury 1 package, sunroof, upgraded paint. The dealer offered me $16k, which was on par with other quotes I had received. I didn't care to haggle much, I got a great deal on my new vehicle, and I was just happy to be rid of the CTS.
    Dean,

I think you have your answer - trade in that sucker! Anyone have any other thoughts?

Sorry to see you leave Cadillac. There are many CTS vehicles available at good prices now that the 2014 is just around the corner. I know of a Black 2010 CTS4 Premium Wagon with less than 3,000 miles going for less than $37K. Obviously that would mean a flight and your' selling your won car, but............?

Anyway, good luck, Marv

qijovn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6DI AWD NAV 07 CBR600RR

It can be EXTREMELY difficult to feel like you are getting the most value for trade-in on your vehicle. Being so concerned with it..I am positive you have taken excellent care of it so you can ask for maximum dollar. Don't get too hung up on trade-in value, but more on trade DIFFERENCE. You can be shown $X for your vehicle but only to have it come out of profit margin of purchased vehicle.

Get your trade difference as low as possible, and let the rest wash itself out!!!! Being a car salesman myself...that is the best way to get the best deal as a customer. Also, purchasing at the end of the month works best for you, too.

Don't tell my boss I just gave you this info...for the record, "I heard it from another salesman" hehe

kingtj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe, Premium edition

Yep... this is pretty much what I concluded too, when doing trade-ins.
    If you approach things the way people so often recommend, where you say you have no trade, negotiate for the absolute best possible price, and THEN "change your mind", throwing in a trade? The salesperson isn't fooled. He/she knows exactly what you're trying to do there, and they'll simply offer less for the trade than you would have been offered if you started out admitting you wanted to do the trade-in.

Quote Originally Posted by qijovn View Post
    It can be EXTREMELY difficult to feel like you are getting the most value for trade-in on your vehicle. Being so concerned with it..I am positive you have taken excellent care of it so you can ask for maximum dollar. Don't get too hung up on trade-in value, but more on trade DIFFERENCE. You can be shown $X for your vehicle but only to have it come out of profit margin of purchased vehicle.

Get your trade difference as low as possible, and let the rest wash itself out!!!! Being a car salesman myself...that is the best way to get the best deal as a customer. Also, purchasing at the end of the month works best for you, too.

Don't tell my boss I just gave you this info...for the record, "I heard it from another salesman" hehe
    qijovn likes this.

chinorider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Last week I traded in my 2009 CTS for a 2013 CTS coupe and received $18,500 for trade in. I was happy with the number.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Unless you are selling the car outright forget about trade in value. the dealer can play all sorts of tricks to make the numbers work. Want a higher trade-in, not a problem; you get less of a discount on the new car. As long as the bottom line ends up where you want it, I couldn't give two hoots how they got there.
    qijovn likes this.

Felton10 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.5 luxury

Got 15k trade in for my 2008 CTS (on a 2013 ATS) with 55k miles on it. I lowered my expectation of what I was going to receive because of a couple of issues with the car-one of which being when I ran into an armadillo which resulted in 3,500 worth of damage. (New bumper-radiator and a/c issues). Even though I had it repaired at the same dealer that I traded it in at-accident wasn't mentioned at all on the car fax report (which is legal-the dealer is only obligated to report service-not accidents even if they know about it).

Dealer was orginally asking 23k for the car- then finally was asking 19,700. One day both 2008 CTS's they were trying to sell disappeared so I figured they jobbed both of them out. Dealer still probably made couple of thousand on the car.

Tom Wheeler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX, 2012 CTS Sport Wagon

The only time in my 40+ years of owing vehicles that I traded in one was back in 89 when I traded in my wife's loaded 85 Buick Skylark for a loaded 89 Sundance. That Buick was at the dealership for more mechanical and electrical problems then any other vehicle I ever owned.
    What you want to do is sell your car outright, it's the only way you will get the value out of your CTS. All you do if you trade in a vehicle is give the dealership a way to make money on two cars not just the new one your buying. They will never give you a deal where they lose money on ether vehicle.

Tom

I went with my gut feel and the majority of the feedback, thanks all! and I ended up trading it in for $16K. No hassles of meeting people to sell the car, insuring 2 cars till the Caddy sold, losing the sales tax difference credit and the ease of just dropping it off, swapping the plates and driving out with the new car. How much more would I have made on my own maybe a couple of hundred bucks... not worth the aggravation. Dealership I dealt with was in Warwick, RI.... they were fantastic. Looks like they sent my car to their nissan outlet store.... They are asking 17,900. So if they sell it for $17 they make a grand not bad. Seems like a great deal for a car in near perfect condition but I guess thats all it is worth. Check out the pics!! http://www.nissanwestwarwick.com/det...-10888967.html Good luck everyone and will miss the forums for sure.

SFVetteman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 SRX V6 RWD, 1999 Corvette..370 RWHP and many more mods

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wheeler View Post
    They will never give you a deal where they lose money on ether vehicle.
    They don't need to make money on both vehicles...they only need to make money on the deal.

Bill

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.