2009 CTS4 Direct Inject - Sport Mode Sticks In 3rd
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2009 CTS4 Direct Inject - Sport Mode Sticks In 3rd in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I purchased a 2009 Cadillac CTS4 Direct Inject with 40k miles on June 7, 2013. Love the car, but have ...
    EALeathers is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI

2009 CTS4 Direct Inject - Sport Mode Sticks In 3rd

I purchased a 2009 Cadillac CTS4 Direct Inject with 40k miles on June 7, 2013. Love the car, but have had a few shifting problems that landed it at the dealership today. I drive in Sport Mode often, but allow the car to do the shifting. My issue mainly occurs when accelerating up a highway on-ramp from a dead stop. Most commonly occurs at or over half throttle. The car will smoothly shift through 1st and 2nd, but holds on to 3rd gear and will not shift if I push it further or let off the accelerator it stays stuck in 3rd. I can get it out of 3rd by manually shifting or returning the shifter to "Normal Mode". Another shifting issue that occurred today (7/24) was a random downshift that occurred around 35 MPH. Luckily I was at a low speed when the downshift occurred, so it didn't sound too painful on the car. This is the only time it has downshifted on its own.

Anyway, took it to the dealership after the downshift. I took a technician out with me, and after several attempts was finally able to replicate the 3rd gear shift, but not the downshift. The technician kept talking about my car having "Abuse Control" and that was probably the cause of my shifting problem. I agreed that if such a thing exists, it could be a possibility, but does not explain the downshift.

We returned to the dealership and the technician hooked the car up to the computer. He never mentioned seeing that the car had entered "Abuse Mode" so I'm assuming that it had not. He also told me he cleared out the taps so the vehicle would relearn my driving style.

Immediately after leaving the dealership it got stuck in 3rd gear, I was not driving abusive, in fact was barely on the accelerator. My question to the forum is does anyone else have this issue, and does "Abuse Control" really exist or is that a mechanic's excuse?

Your Responses Are Greatly Appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Re: 2009 CTS4 Direct Inject - Sport Mode Sticks In 3rd

Holding 3rd gear is a normal characteristic of Sport Mode. Do a search and you'll find numerous posts on this subject. The transmission holds 3rd under the anticipation that you just hammered the throttle and are about to hammer it again to continue accelerating.

Explain the downshift further - were you in Sport Mode or Manual Mode? I seem to recall even in Manual Mode that my former CTS would downshift if it dropped below certain speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    Holding 3rd gear is a normal characteristic of Sport Mode. Do a search and you'll find numerous posts on this subject. The transmission holds 3rd under the anticipation that you just hammered the throttle and are about to hammer it again to continue accelerating.

Explain the downshift further - were you in Sport Mode or Manual Mode? I seem to recall even in Manual Mode that my former CTS would downshift if it dropped below certain speeds.
    I appreciate your reply, and you make good points, but here is more detail on the issues. Both issues occur in AUTOMATIC SPORT MODE ONLY. While the tech was in the car, we did hammer it and the gear HELD to about 6000 rpm before shifting, and when it shifted it was smooth. However, later on we got 3rd to STICK. When it sticks, it will not shift up or down by itself, I have to intervene by moving the shifter. Giving more or less gas does not advance or release 3rd gear at all.

When the car downshifted on it's own, it was in Automatic Sport Mode so it does downshift on its own. The gear was too low for the speed I was cruising and I was on a level surface. I had to intervene to correct the transmission that time as well. This has only happened once, and I was unable to replicate this with the tech.

somedaycts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Cadillac CTS4

Read Cadillac Tony's response in this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...port-mode.html

Does that describe at all what you think is happening?

When the transmission sticks, if you release the gas pedal and let the car coast down, it should eventually shift into a higher gear. Eventually could be 5-10 seconds before anything happens.

Sometimes when I was bored I would accelerate hard off an exit ramp in sport mode up to 50. Letting off the gas, the transmission would remain high RPMs in 2nd or 3rd. I would let the car coast a few seconds, accelerate, coast, accelerate, all while maintaining the same gear and high RPMs. Once I got bored, my options were to either shift it myself, or let off the gas long enough for the car to decide I'm done playing and then it would shift itself.

Quote Originally Posted by somedaycts View Post
    Read Cadillac Tony's response in this post: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...port-mode.html

Does that describe at all what you think is happening?

When the transmission sticks, if you release the gas pedal and let the car coast down, it should eventually shift into a higher gear. Eventually could be 5-10 seconds before anything happens.

Sometimes when I was bored I would accelerate hard off an exit ramp in sport mode up to 50. Letting off the gas, the transmission would remain high RPMs in 2nd or 3rd. I would let the car coast a few seconds, accelerate, coast, accelerate, all while maintaining the same gear and high RPMs. Once I got bored, my options were to either shift it myself, or let off the gas long enough for the car to decide I'm done playing and then it would shift itself.
    Thanks, that's a good explanation. That sounds exactly like what's happening. Now that I know what can trigger the behavior, I will test it and see if it's running according. I wish that the "technician" would have put it in those words.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    Quote Originally Posted by EALeathers

Thanks, that's a good explanation. That sounds exactly like what's happening. Now that I know what can trigger the behavior, I will test it and see if it's running according. I wish that the "technician" would have put it in those words.
    Somedaystc explained it well I do the same when I get bored. First time I did it I got scared that something happened to the transmission. Later on I learned that it was the self-learning sport algorithm that did it. After that I absolutely love it! You just need to know what it does.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by EALeathers View Post
    I purchased a 2009 Cadillac CTS4 Direct Inject with 40k miles on June 7, 2013. Love the car, but have had a few shifting problems that landed it at the dealership today. I drive in Sport Mode often, but allow the car to do the shifting. My issue mainly occurs when accelerating up a highway on-ramp from a dead stop. Most commonly occurs at or over half throttle. The car will smoothly shift through 1st and 2nd, but holds on to 3rd gear and will not shift if I push it further or let off the accelerator it stays stuck in 3rd. I can get it out of 3rd by manually shifting or returning the shifter to "Normal Mode". Another shifting issue that occurred today (7/24) was a random downshift that occurred around 35 MPH. Luckily I was at a low speed when the downshift occurred, so it didn't sound too painful on the car. This is the only time it has downshifted on its own.

Anyway, took it to the dealership after the downshift. I took a technician out with me, and after several attempts was finally able to replicate the 3rd gear shift, but not the downshift. The technician kept talking about my car having "Abuse Control" and that was probably the cause of my shifting problem. I agreed that if such a thing exists, it could be a possibility, but does not explain the downshift.

We returned to the dealership and the technician hooked the car up to the computer. He never mentioned seeing that the car had entered "Abuse Mode" so I'm assuming that it had not. He also told me he cleared out the taps so the vehicle would relearn my driving style.

Immediately after leaving the dealership it got stuck in 3rd gear, I was not driving abusive, in fact was barely on the accelerator. My question to the forum is does anyone else have this issue, and does "Abuse Control" really exist or is that a mechanic's excuse?

Your Responses Are Greatly Appreciated
    Hello EALeathers,

Congrats on your recent purchase of your 09' CTS4. I am happy to hear you love your car. I am sorry for any trouble with the shifting you have been experiencing. I see you have worked with a technician on this issue, and after leaving the dealer your vehicle got stuck in 3rd gear again. I read comments from other forum members and see they have engaged with your issue and have provided great advice. I addition I see you were able to read a response in the link provided from somedaycts, that seemed to explain your situation better. Let me know how things go after testing your vehicle. If you have any other concerns or questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us via private message!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Early on in my CTS days I also started a similar thread. This sounds familiar to me and I hope it is what you are learning. Once you "master" the Sport Mode it is a blast! These responses you have gotten are spot on. Have fun practicing. You will be thoroughly tested in about, oh, a month. Maybe a year. Give it your best shot EALeathers!!!

I have tested the behavior and it acts as it should. It's very relieving to understand how your car is supposed to function. Thanks for the replies.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

I experienced the same exact thing a couple of weeks ago! Was "playing" around in sport mode and got up to speed. It literally cruised at 5k RPM's and would not up shift and I even though I was just coasting after ~8-10 seconds it finally did and I sighed a relief thinking that something that broked. In the mean time I could watch the gas gauge literally go down.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

The sports mode works the best on twisty roads. I used it several times in Georgia/Tennesee/Carilina mountains. I worked better than manual shifting!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.