Is this a good price?
Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Is this a good price? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Is this a good price for the vehicle? Should I offer less? http://www.olsencadillac.com/Vehicle...-MA/2034343813...
  1. #1
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239

    Is this a good price?

    Is this a good price for the vehicle? Should I offer less?

    http://www.olsencadillac.com/Vehicle...-MA/2034343813

  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    324

    Re: Is this a good price?

    KBB is your friend. And no, it's not.

  4. #3
    Pdabs's Avatar
    Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    31
    Posts
    589
    Quote Originally Posted by snofun3
    KBB is your friend. And no, it's not.
    I second that.

  5. #4
    Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    135

    Re: Is this a good price?

    I looked at a few CTS at Olsen when I bought my 2010 CTS4 Luxury in February and to be honest I didn't like these guys, I felt like I needed to take a shower after I left the dealership. This one is a 3.6L so I can't compare it directly to mine. After I looked at a few at Olsen I looked at a few at Long Cadillac in Southboro on Route 9. These people were really nice and didn't try to upsell or pressure me. Here is my experience with Long. They had a 2010 CTS4 Luxury 3.0L with 23,300 miles on it, clean as a whistle. Black Raven with black leather interior, really sharp. They wanted $29,394 for it Cadillac Certified. I gave them $26,394 without the Cadillac Certified which adds or removes $1,500 from the sticker depending on which route you choose. I elected to forgo what is basically an extended warranty, I still had plenty of factory warranty left. I thought I did pretty good for a car that I think goes for north of $40K new. Try looking at Long in Southboro before you make a move. 20130319_122939.jpg

  6. #5
    C "T" ess's Avatar
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa,FL
    Posts
    2,122

    Re: Is this a good price?

    with prices like that, I think I'd look elsewhere. There are too many nice CTS' out there for far more reasonable prices. If you can wait a bit until the 2014's come out, I would be willing to bet there will be a ton of GEN II's available.

  7. #6
    Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    43

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Forget KBB values, the public version of the BB, and NADA too (look who publishes it). Starting with their paperbacks way back in the 70's or 80's, I've found Edmunds to have the most accurate numbers. Their trade-in values will be very close to auction prices (ACV), which, aside from availability/desirability/condition, is the only number a used car manager is going to base a trade on (i.e., what they have invested in the car). Most lots expect to make a 15 to 20 percent profit on a used car. Their description is all over the place, not to mention full of spelling/grammar errors, but from what I can glean, ACV on that car, assuming it is CLEAN condition, is about 19K and it should retail at around 23k, so no, it is very overpriced. I just used the same method a few months ago to trade a car and get my '12 coupe. The numbers on both were within a few hundred bucks of what I got. And yes, the 2014 models, a few of which are already out there for sale, will further affect older model values. In my opinion the new CPO 72/70k B2B warranty is worth every penny, but you shouldn't pay more than 1,200 extra bucks for it, and that includes a few hundred profit on it for the dealer.

  8. #7
    Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    135

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Prices differ in different parts of the country that is why KBB and others ask for a zip code when researching used car prices. Dealers have different overhead and labor rates and pay different taxes in different parts of the country and available inventory also plays into it. Up here in Massachusetts, or otherwise known as "Taxachusetts" everything is expensive, food, gas, housing and cars.

  9. #8
    Pdabs's Avatar
    Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Age
    31
    Posts
    589
    I find myself always looking at edmunds TMV prices

  10. #9
    Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    43

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twentybucks View Post
    Prices differ in different parts of the country that is why KBB and others ask for a zip code when researching used car prices. Dealers have different overhead and labor rates and pay different taxes in different parts of the country and available inventory also plays into it. Up here in Massachusetts, or otherwise known as "Taxachusetts" everything is expensive, food, gas, housing and cars.
    The dealer sales price doesn't reflect state sales/use/property taxes. That's an add on like doc, tag, title fees, etc. Edmunds accounts for regional price differences in terms of the base sales price, right down to the zip code. Bottom line: that is not a 25.7k car...23k max, plus tax/tag/title.

  11. #10
    Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    135

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xav8tor View Post
    The dealer sales price doesn't reflect state sales/use/property taxes. That's an add on like doc, tag, title fees, etc. Edmunds accounts for regional price differences in terms of the base sales price, right down to the zip code. Bottom line: that is not a 25.7k car...23k max, plus tax/tag/title.
    Absolutely agree, 25.7K for that car is way too much for the year and the mileage, I shopped that dealership and I thought their prices were too high.

  12. #11
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twentybucks View Post
    I looked at a few CTS at Olsen when I bought my 2010 CTS4 Luxury in February and to be honest I didn't like these guys, I felt like I needed to take a shower after I left the dealership. This one is a 3.6L so I can't compare it directly to mine. After I looked at a few at Olsen I looked at a few at Long Cadillac in Southboro on Route 9. These people were really nice and didn't try to upsell or pressure me. Here is my experience with Long. They had a 2010 CTS4 Luxury 3.0L with 23,300 miles on it, clean as a whistle. Black Raven with black leather interior, really sharp. They wanted $29,394 for it Cadillac Certified. I gave them $26,394 without the Cadillac Certified which adds or removes $1,500 from the sticker depending on which route you choose. I elected to forgo what is basically an extended warranty, I still had plenty of factory warranty left. I thought I did pretty good for a car that I think goes for north of $40K new. Try looking at Long in Southboro before you make a move. Attachment 128850
    Long Cadillac does seem to have much better prices, but they don't have anything in my price range newer than 08 or certified. They're also probably a little closer. That said, if the CTS is half as reliable as my STS, I should be able to come out ahead over the course of 5 years with no warranty.

    I did Edmunds the car at olsen Cadillac and optioned like that, it ended up being close. Ideally I'd make a lower offer on it, but I'm not sure if they'd even consider it.

    I'm trying to find something 3.6L DI and with a sunroof. Preferably wood trim too.

    See Edmunds gave me $25,500 when I put in all the options and mileage. I may have missed a few options or included a few too many, but it should be fairly close. Nada gave me $26000. KBB says $30,000 but KBB is always much more than even usually asking price.

    However I found one with 16k, optioned identically and not certified for $25k earlier this year.

    The only reason I'm shopping in long island or eastern MA is because the dealers out in the western portion of the state are insanely overpriced -- they want $25,000 for a '08-'09 with 60k on it that's an absolute base model.

  13. #12
    Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    135

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Olsen had a 2010 CTS that I actually made an offer on, they were asking 29,900 and I offered them 26K. They came down to 27K but wouldn't go any lower so I walked away because I wasn't going to let them win and I liked the car I bought at Long better anyway. If you really want the car at Olsen I would lowball them a crazy number and see what they say, when I did it they didn't say no but came back with a much lower number. You are out in the western part of the state so there probably isn't much inventory out there which is why they are probably asking crazy money out there. I think that is Subaru country out there isn't it? Try looking at Cadillac Village in Norwood, they have a pretty good inventory of used. Don't forget when the dealers put a car on the lot they have to bring it in the shop, go over the entire car to see if it is worthy of calling it Cadillac Certified (which adds $1,500) then they have them cleaned and detailed, then they have to give the salesman a cut which I think is around $250 so it can add up. Good luck!

  14. #13
    fps_dean is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    North Adams, MA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    239
    Thread Starter

    Re: Is this a good price?

    I was thinking of throwing out 24k as a take it or leave it. Or I could throw out 23k and see if they counter at 24k. I think if they go for it that's not too terrible, and I should be able to get my loan in my target range. It is certified and the in service date on this car was sometime in July 09, giving me two full years of warranty.

    Subaru's are popular out here, unfortunately I don't even fit in them comfortably (some of them I don't fit, and the seats are too short on the ones that I do). They also want similar money for a used one as this CTS, or a Maxima (the other sedan that I found that may work for me). If they don't take it, one of the '08s at Long at asking price look fair. That's also assuming I don't get a joke offer for my trade, but I doubt I will. And if that doesn't work out, there are plenty of Maximas I can put narrower tires on...

    The entire reason I'm car shopping now is because I bought a house on a hill, and what's scarier than the hill itself is backing out the driveway up the hill and sliding into a tree which I almost did last winter when I drove by to look at the house on maybe 1mm of snow with snows on -- RWD is sadly not going to work.

  15. #14
    Cadillac Cust Svc's Avatar
    Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,791

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Quote Originally Posted by Twentybucks View Post
    Olsen had a 2010 CTS that I actually made an offer on, they were asking 29,900 and I offered them 26K. They came down to 27K but wouldn't go any lower so I walked away because I wasn't going to let them win and I liked the car I bought at Long better anyway. If you really want the car at Olsen I would lowball them a crazy number and see what they say, when I did it they didn't say no but came back with a much lower number. You are out in the western part of the state so there probably isn't much inventory out there which is why they are probably asking crazy money out there. I think that is Subaru country out there isn't it? Try looking at Cadillac Village in Norwood, they have a pretty good inventory of used. Don't forget when the dealers put a car on the lot they have to bring it in the shop, go over the entire car to see if it is worthy of calling it Cadillac Certified (which adds $1,500) then they have them cleaned and detailed, then they have to give the salesman a cut which I think is around $250 so it can add up. Good luck!
    Hello Twentybucks,

    Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. It seems like you knew how to work with negotiating for a great deal. I hope you are enjoying your CTS so far!

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  16. #15
    tinman's Avatar
    tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Posts
    4,984

    Re: Is this a good price?

    Autotrader.com and cars.com are places I go as well after researching kbb, edmunds, etc. Autotrader and Cars have more of a real-life market to them, a better judge of pricing in your area. Check them out for resources, too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum
Need products for your Cadillac? Check out your options at the links below:

custom floor mats | Cadillac Chrome and Black Chrome Wheels | window tinting