2nd gen CTS owner’s over 100k miles.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2nd gen CTS owner’s over 100k miles. in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; ...
    doitallgarageguy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Smile 2nd gen CTS owner’s over 100k miles.

I’m looking for any and all feedback with specific owners over 100k miles. Not the folks that say, I have 30k miles and no problems, (yeah, it better not have any problems at 30k miles).

Here are my thoughts behind the post and some.
    I do all my fleet preventive maintenance myself (my muscle car, wife’s car, my truck, and my commuter vehicle). I had a 1993 Silverado w/ 180k miles that I would have ‘til this day, if some jackleg didn’t steal it. So, I know GM can make a good dependable engine and I would like to go back to an American made vehicle again.

I’m looking to replace the wife’s car and she will only drive a 6 speed/MT. Thus, why the CTS looks like a winner, toss on a new set of performance wheels and a CTS-V hood… now, you are talking sexy. **

Currently, in my area there is an 08, 6 speed, 40k miles, for $24k that I’m interested in.

Your feedback is very much appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Re: 2nd gen CTS owner’s over 100k miles.

I along with many others on here will recommend you avoid the 2008's because it is a first year model and there were a few bugs if you're looking for OVERALL reliability. Now with that aside. I too have owned two previous GM's that were 15-18 yearceramic
    before I sold them and both had 167-171k mi before I sold them. They had their problems but nothing major mechanical that I couldn't handle.

I don't know too many high milers on the forum. But I know that I am close with 78k mi. I have an 08. The two main reasons is mainly because of budget constraints and a few features I wanted were deleted the following years. The car has been relatively problem free in the short time I've owned it (4 months 8k mi.) With so far a leaky trans line was covered under warranty twice and a rear plate light is out. I did however got lucky and got it near the end of the 08 production run and it came with Bluetooth!

As far as the car was before me. It had the trans replaced at 33k in 2010. The power mirrors replaced twice and a few recalls.

It has been a good awesome car. I have poured a little $600 into so far. But alll have been preventative maintenance and using the reasonably high quality fluids filters and such. 2/3's of that cost was just replacing all the brakes and rotors to ceram because I got tired of the brake dust from the performance brakes option. Some were not even entirely necessary such as the cabin filter cleaning.

Either way it is an awesome car I love it to death and I get A LOT of compliments from it. And I have faith it will last me for a long time. And like yourself I do all my own maintenance work.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by doitallgarageguy View Post
    I’m looking for any and all feedback with specific owners over 100k miles. Not the folks that say, I have 30k miles and no problems, (yeah, it better not have any problems at 30k miles).
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by OMG View Post

I don't know too many high milers on the forum. But I know that I am close with 78k mi.

OMG

I read that bro but I know he's not going to get many responses or/if any. So I thought I would give him some advice from the next closest available source. I am sure there are people out there with over 100k but most are not on the forum or not active. If fact most people on this forum dump theirs after the B2B warranty is up. I'm just giving him what I know from one garage wrencher to another.

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Lux - 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II <-4 Sale

Ive got a 08 with the 3.6 DI and 101000 Miles and No problems really other than a coil pack and a wheel bearing, No timing chain issues ive had it for about 3+ years and 50k miles.
    I replaced the rear caliper bracket with the new design to stop the winter squeaking

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I along with many others on here will recommend you avoid the 2008's because it is a first year model and there were a few bugs if you're looking for OVERALL reliability. Now with that aside. I too have owned two previous GM's that were 15-18 yearceramic
    before I sold them and both had 167-171k mi before I sold them. They had their problems but nothing major mechanical that I couldn't handle.

I don't know too many high milers on the forum. But I know that I am close with 78k mi. I have an 08. The two main reasons is mainly because of budget constraints and a few features I wanted were deleted the following years. The car has been relatively problem free in the short time I've owned it (4 months 8k mi.) With so far a leaky trans line was covered under warranty twice and a rear plate light is out. I did however got lucky and got it near the end of the 08 production run and it came with Bluetooth!

As far as the car was before me. It had the trans replaced at 33k in 2010. The power mirrors replaced twice and a few recalls.

It has been a good awesome car. I have poured a little $600 into so far. But alll have been preventative maintenance and using the reasonably high quality fluids filters and such. 2/3's of that cost was just replacing all the brakes and rotors to ceram because I got tired of the brake dust from the performance brakes option. Some were not even entirely necessary such as the cabin filter cleaning.

Either way it is an awesome car I love it to death and I get A LOT of compliments from it. And I have faith it will last me for a long time. And like yourself I do all my own maintenance work.
    Hello OMG,

Thank you for sharing your advice. I am glad to hear how much you love your 2008 CTS! Continue to enjoy driving your Cadillac around. Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you ever have any concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

2009 with 102k+ miles. Running like new. Timing chains were replaced under CPO warranty. Didn't even know they were stretched. They were looking at something else and inspected them and noticed they should be replaced. I love this car.

----------

I would also recommend getting at least a 2009 model.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

I have 123,000 on my 08 AWD, mostly highway. I bought it with 49k on it. The previous owner did the timing chains. I suffered through roof leaks and trunk leaks but GM paid for much of the repairs. I put front brakes on twice mostly because I get warped rotors from the crazy temps here in N.E. I'm still on my Bridgestone tires; I'm getting amazing mileage out them. Overall the car has been a joy and I know its good for another 100K.

Quote Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
    Haha, snofun3 busting balls.

Omg, thanks for your feedback is it very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dsteinmann View Post
    Ive got a 08 with the 3.6 DI and 101000 Miles and No problems really other than a coil pack and a wheel bearing, No timing chain issues ive had it for about 3+ years and 50k miles.
    I replaced the rear caliper bracket with the new design to stop the winter squeaking
    I hear ya, coil pack and calipers are easy to replace. It doesn't bother me too much to replace little things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal33n View Post
    2009 with 102k+ miles. Running like new. Timing chains were replaced under CPO warranty. Didn't even know they were stretched. They were looking at something else and inspected them and noticed they should be replaced. I love this car.

I would also recommend getting at least a 2009 model.
    I guess if I pull the trigger on the 2008 model, I would try to have the timing chain replace before the warranty ends. Is the warranty on caddy's b2b 100k milles /5 years?
    ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I have 123,000 on my 08 AWD, mostly highway. I bought it with 49k on it. The previous owner did the timing chains. I suffered through roof leaks and trunk leaks but GM paid for much of the repairs. I put front brakes on twice mostly because I get warped rotors from the crazy temps here in N.E. I'm still on my Bridgestone tires; I'm getting amazing mileage out them. Overall the car has been a joy and I know its good for another 100K.
    123k miles...That's what I'm talking about!

OMG

The B2B is 4yr/50k powertrain 5yr/100k I had powertrain which is what I had remaining. My timing chain is warrantied until 120k or sometime into 2017 because of the recall. Which is what yours will most likely have if the recall was done.

The B2B is 4yr/50k powertrain 5yr/100k I had powertrain which is what I had remaining. My timing chain is warrantied until 120k or sometime into 2017 because of the recall. Which is what yours will most likely have if the recall was done.
    I see, thanks for that info.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.