Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: New key FOB

  1. #1
    sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    225

    New key FOB

    Well I accidently destroyed my back up key fob today. I'm worried now that I don't have a back up, and want to replace it..

    I noticed there are several on ebay for about 50-60 each (seems expensive!) I see in the manual I can program them myself.. Is this true?

    Any advice?


  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    C "T" ess's Avatar
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS Performance Coupe 2.0T
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa,FL
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,773

    Re: New key FOB

    Also check eBay, they have several sellers offering just the shell for replacement. It fits just like the original and you get to keep your current remote with out need to have it reprogrammed.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keyless-Entr...f1c982&vxp=mtr

  4. #3
    ATX_BLK_CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Age
    47
    Posts
    9
    If you buy the replacement fob place it in the small compartment in your center armrest (see your owners manual) and it will program itself to your car.

  5. #4
    next2pool is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2016 CTS Luxury 3.6 and 2015 Luxury ATS
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Phoenix suburb
    Posts
    1,785

    Re: New key FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by sandcracker21 View Post
    Well I accidently destroyed my back up key fob today. I'm worried now that I don't have a back up, and want to replace it..

    I noticed there are several on ebay for about 50-60 each (seems expensive!) I see in the manual I can program them myself.. Is this true?

    Any advice?
    There are 2 types of remote key fobs.. if you have the type with the key hidden in the FOB (push button start) you will be able to reprogram yourself. If you have the FOB with an external key (key start) you cannot reprogram it yourself.

  6. #5
    DaveL is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon/AWD/3.6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    51

    Re: New key FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by next2pool View Post
    There are 2 types of remote key fobs.. if you have the type with the key hidden in the FOB (push button start) you will be able to reprogram yourself. If you have the FOB with an external key (key start) you cannot reprogram it yourself.
    Thanks! Good to know.
    Dave

  7. #6
    Scott2012's Avatar
    Scott2012 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 AWD CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    40
    Posts
    261

    Re: New key FOB

    I ordered another remote as it had only one when I bought it a short while ago. Found one on ebay $39 shipped and my Chevy dealer charges $39 to program it. They said they use the tech II to do it.

  8. #7
    DMill's Avatar
    DMill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bellevue, WA - USA
    Posts
    268

    Re: New key FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott2012 View Post
    I ordered another remote as it had only one when I bought it a short while ago. Found one on ebay $39 shipped and my Chevy dealer charges $39 to program it. They said they use the tech II to do it.
    I've misplaced my keyless entry / remote start FOB. Luckily my wife still has hers. May I ask where (from whom) you purchased your FOB? Looks like I'll be needing to buy one.
    Thanks in advance.

    ps: Just looked myself on ebay and the best I found was $99.95 (free shipping) for a NEW (with uncut key blank) keyless remote / remote start FOB. Anyone know of a better deal for a new FOB? Thanks.
    Last edited by DMill; 08-10-13 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Added "ps" ...

  9. #8
    ultimate_ed's Avatar
    ultimate_ed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    188

    Re: New key FOB

    Well, I thought I had my answer here as my remote on my 09 CTS has been acting up on me as well. Yet, as I look over Ebay for a replacement, I find myself confused.

    Most of the remotes that I see for sale have the five buttons including the remote start. However, they don't have an internal key. My 09 remote has the internal key (though, as I think of it, I don't even know where it goes as I don't know of any keyholes on my car.

    EBAY says these are compatible with my vehicle, but I'm naturally suspicious. What are these third types of remotes for?

    ----------

    Hmm, well, doing some more looking, it seems like I definitely need to find a remote that has the internal key.

    Though, I wonder if I'm hosed. The FOB that is failing on my is my #1. Everything I read in the manual about programming new FOBS refers to programming FOBS 2, 3, 4, etc. Can I actually program a replacement #1 FOB myself?

  10. #9
    C "T" ess's Avatar
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2015 ATS Performance Coupe 2.0T
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Tampa,FL
    Age
    66
    Posts
    2,773

    Re: New key FOB

    Unless you have both your new and existing fobs at the same time the car will think any new fob you match to the car will be greater than 1 or 2. The biggest problem there is that you cannot set your personal settings (seat,etc) with any remote higher than 2.

  11. #10
    jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    60

    Re: New key FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Unless you have both your new and existing fobs at the same time the car will think any new fob you match to the car will be greater than 1 or 2. The biggest problem there is that you cannot set your personal settings (seat,etc) with any remote higher than 2.
    So this is the exact information I'm looking for. Is there any way other than dealer tool to remove or reset transmitter #1. I still have remote #2

  12. #11
    jellyhead is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    60

    Re: New key FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by DMill View Post

    Just looked myself on ebay and the best I found was $99.95 (free shipping) for a NEW (with uncut key blank) keyless remote / remote start FOB. Anyone know of a better deal for a new FOB? Thanks.
    I don't know if you already know this but there are several different part numbers for these remotes. I don't know if they will all work for any car but I would make sure first. I don't believe they will since they have a different FCC ID # which means to me that they are a different frequency. I didn't want to chance it so I went strictly by part numbers. This made the cost a little higher for me since all with the part number of my transmitter were a little more $$. I found one in original packaging including key blank for $125 including shipping. The remotes are also available from www.gmpartsdirect.com for $110 but the shipping costs are very high. The reason for the high cost is that there are 2 shipping charges. The part is first shipped to the them, then they ship it to you. This made the total cost $138. This doesn't include the key blank either which is why I bought it off eBay. If you buy from gmpartsdirect you may find that the original part number is not found. In this case you will need to know the updated part number. In my case I found the updated part number by searching with the original number on another OEM part sight namely this one www.gmpartsgiant.com.


    Quote Originally Posted by ultimate_ed View Post
    Everything I read in the manual about programming new FOBS refers to programming FOBS 2, 3, 4, etc. Can I actually program a replacement #1 FOB myself?
    If you have a key slot in your driver door then yes you can relearn all remotes and replace #1 as described on page 88 of the PDF manual which is the second method described. There's is a step or instruction left out however that is very important.

    IMPORTANT:
    Do not place any known good transmitters within 10 feet of the vehicle when programming with Method 2. If the RCDLR recognizes a known good transmitter during Method 2 programming, the programming mode will resort to Method 1.

    Basically what will happen if a known transmitter is detected then it will enter programming method 1 and just add the new remotes as #3 or #4
    Last edited by jellyhead; 10-01-13 at 04:27 AM.

  13. #12
    John Walker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '92,'93,'94&'95 Devilles, '03 & '12 CTSs
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    41

    Re: New key FOB

    Quote Originally Posted by jellyhead View Post

    ... If you have a key slot in your driver door then ...
    I have a '12 Coupe with a 5 button, hidden key FOB and NO key slot in the driver door. How do I program the new FOB I got since I can not do the 5 unlocks with the key?

  14. #13
    John Walker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '92,'93,'94&'95 Devilles, '03 & '12 CTSs
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    41

    Re: New key FOB

    There must be a way to program FOBs for a coupe, so I tried what the engineers should have done - I put the key in a different lock.
    Doing the unlock 5 times in <5sec in the TRUNK lock worked.


Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum