DIY Front Diff pic by pic fluid change for AWD
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, DIY Front Diff pic by pic fluid change for AWD in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; For those with AWD this is technically part 2 of my diff fluid change I did this while I waited ...
    OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

DIY Front Diff pic by pic fluid change for AWD

For those with AWD this is technically part 2 of my diff fluid change I did this while I waited for the rear diff fluid to drain

Now this is a lot harder because there's just a ton of more crap you have to deal with in a much tighter space.

Things you'll need.

Tools:
    10mm Hex socket
    Ratchet (this is where a flex head is ideal!!)
    Drain pan
    Pump

Supplies:
    Towels
    Fluid
    1.5pints GL-5

The hardest part about this is really just the fill plug is a little hard to access too. I found the easiest way was to feed the tool through the side of wheel well then your hand through another hole in the wheel well to position the 10mm socket into the plug. It's a little hard to explain so I will lt a bunch of pictures explain. Once you pop it out it has a little bit of drainage.

After you get the plug off it's just the drain plug now!

A quick video of the drain cause I thought it was cool.

http://s1030.photobucket.com/user/om...88183.mp4.html

Sadly I forgot to take a picture of pumping the fluid back in. But it's pretty straight forward.

Hope this helps people if you were thinking of doing it! Hopefully next week I'll get the transfer case done.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: DIY Front Diff pic by pic fluid change for AWD

OMG,

Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to do this! What fluid did you use?

Marv

OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    OMG,

Great write up! Thanks for taking the time to do this! What fluid did you use?

Marv
    OMG sorry I never got back to you on this, but I used Royal Purple Max Gear 75w90 which honestly now I think I'm starting to regret.

1BadCadSTS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 STS4
    Why?

OMG

A whine has developed in my rear LSD diff. Which at first I thought was a wheel bearing. After replacing all 4 and realizing only one of them was bad you can really hear the whine. It was advertised to have the Limited Slip additive already added. Well I went to the GM dealership and purchased the limited slip additive and added it. It has reduced the noise after about 30 miles, but it's still there just not as loud. After searching on the forums a bit, it seems that when the noise comes it's not fixable unless the diff is replaced or a crazy procedure is done.

Tires still have a lot of meat left in them so I don't want to drop $600 on replacing them based on a theory.

Douglas Rome is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-4 3.0 Base sedan black/black

OMG, you are a man after my own heart, good job!
    thanks, Douglas

Z71
    Z71 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

The noise is a result of the meshing of the rign and pinion gears. They claim this is normal noise of the Getrag Axle that is being transfered into the passenger compartment. They will ONLY replace it if the customer complains vehemently. Of course thats only if you have warranty left...

OMG

Quote Originally Posted by Z71 View Post
    The noise is a result of the meshing of the rign and pinion gears. They claim this is normal noise of the Getrag Axle that is being transfered into the passenger compartment. They will ONLY replace it if the customer complains vehemently. Of course thats only if you have warranty left...

Yeah whine came up after the warranty expired in July. It's too cold for me to tackle this now and with classes in full bore I'll check it out myself come next may. Hot a couple of things in mind.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.