DIY Rear diff (w/ LSD) pic by pic fluid change! PIC
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By OMG
  • 1 Post By tinman
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, DIY Rear diff (w/ LSD) pic by pic fluid change! PIC in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Honestly this is easier then changing the oil of the car! I can see doing this every 25-30k mi since ...
    OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

DIY Rear diff (w/ LSD) pic by pic fluid change! PIC

Honestly this is easier then changing the oil of the car! I can see doing this every 25-30k mi since it's so hassle free. For the AWD folks here is also the front diff: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...l#post10551018

Here's what you need:

Tools:
    10mm Hex Socket
    Ratchet (Flexi-head makes it easy but not neccessary)
    Drain pan
    Fluid pump is ideal and makes it A LOT easier but you can use the long tube and gravity has always worked for me.

Supplies:
    2.5 Pints of Diff fluid GL-5
    ~4OZ (3.38 to be exact) Limited slip aditive GM Part No. 1052358

OR

2.7 Pints of fluid with the additive already added (what I chose)

First jack the car up. I use a combination of 3 jacks and 4 stands. I use two jacks in front of the car to adjust the the levelness of the car and keep two stands in place in cas they fail. But one of the jacks has a lock so even if it fail it would not fall. But you can never be too safe! Especially with our 4300lb land barges! I also jacked the driver side *just* a few degrees higher to get the fluid to drain to the drain hole as much as possible!

Ok the pics.

Here is to get some orientation. Don't open your drain plug just yet!!!

Now find your fill plug. It is right under your passenger side axle. There is plenty of space to reach up with almost nothing in your way.

Insert your 10mm hex socket

Then your ratchet

Clearview to show how much room you'll have

Fill plug removed. It honestly took very little effort to get it out with almost no resistance after the intial break you can simply unscrew with our hand. There are definitly some shavings made me cringe to see it...

But it gets worse...drain plug removed. Get your pan and towels ready because it will simply shoot out like a straight beam of black liquid! And the smell! It's almost like gasoline and engine oil!

If you think the fill plug was bad check out the drain plug which is magnetized!

The big shavings are wiped off

What's left is *very* fine shavings that is almost putty like. (careful they will stain your hands and clothes and is a pain to get out!)

After a few towel wipings it'll look like this!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

OMG

Re: DIY Rear diff (w/ LSD) pic by pic fluid change! PIC

Now for the tools and fluids in the ready. But at this point I let the diff drain in the mean time I went and prepared to drain the front diff.

Ok! While the front diff is draining I went back put the drain plug in and position the hose over the exhaust piping to reduce the chance of the hose popping out while I am pumping.

When you get to the bottom of the bottle I actually grabbed the bottom of the bottle and used the bottom of the suspension to push against the top of the pump like so!

Keep pumping until you see it overflowing past the fill hole. In this scenario I actually lowered the driver side just a *few* degrees.

Plug it back up and you're done!

Any suggestions, feedback, or questions feel free to ask guys!
    kdstrum and Merge like this.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

OMG,

Again, another great job!

Thanks, Marv

karstman7 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts di

thanks - i feel like this is mainly what this forum lacks - MORE DIY threads....

my other forum (RX8) overflows with diy threads - is this group too hoity toity to DIY?

OMG

Quote Originally Posted by karstman7 View Post
    thanks - i feel like this is mainly what this forum lacks - MORE DIY threads....

my other forum (RX8) overflows with diy threads - is this group too hoity toity to DIY?
    I think it has to do with more of the fact that the majority of people who purchase this car have the means to pay for someone to do the services for them and are in for the luxury and convience of having a luxury car (which the whole point is being spoiled by the experience). Whereas a performance car like the RX8 or Corvette (where I originated from) yes there are TONS of DIY threads. Our cars at least the V6 are mostly grocery getters. Look at the V forums to really see the disparity. I can afford to pay the dealer to fix the major problems if I had too. But I cannot afford the astronomical maintenance AND repairs. Thus I do what I can myself. I am a minority (as I am sure you and a handful of people on the forum.) But we represent abvery small amount of buyers of this car and an even smaller amount of ones that buy it new. I also want Cadillac to develope a cult like following much like BMW where it even past models are still revered and preserved. Which I think this 2nd gen has achieved. But it starts only with a handful of people whom cms't quite afford the full brunt of owning such a car but by opening these doors we let others in.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Nice writeup.

I was on a Forum where we had a "Knowledgebase" where folks would put in writeups such as the one you just did. It was an excellent part of our forum.

I have taken the time to copy and paste writeups such as yours and place them in my own Knowledgebase so I have these things readily accessible for when I need them instead of having to take the time to hunt all over these digital ones and zeros.

If anyone needs a copy I am happy to share it. Just PM me your real email address so I can send it to you. I can't send it via this Forum's PM system.
    OMG likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.