Questions about upgrading my Navigation
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Questions about upgrading my Navigation in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey guys, Im sure I will be blasted for this, but I have some questions about updating my navigation. I ...
    TheBeastSS2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Questions about upgrading my Navigation

Hey guys,

Im sure I will be blasted for this, but I have some questions about updating my navigation. I have a 2008 CTS and have NEVER updated the navigation. Im sure you are wondering why, well here is my attempt at telling you why. First off, I bought the car second hand in late 2011. So thats 3 years that I have an excuse for, as for the last 2, I just haven't ok lol.

So my question is, other than the obvious map updates, will I see any other graphical or feature updates? I have read a couple of the threads on here but see no real clarification to my question. Pretty much just everyone saying how their install experience
    went.

So please guys/gals, let me know what to expect when updating from 2008 Navigation to 2013.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    You can expect a map update. (Some new point of interests as well )

Jschmank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Silver CTS AWD

Re: Questions about upgrading my Navigation

I did an update from the original software too and noticed only map changes, no other graphics or features other than the update to the map, POI's, etc. Was worth doing since new update offered at a bit of a discount.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

You will obviously see a lot of map changes in areas that were under construction back in 2008 and later. You will also see enhancements to the ways the map and audio screens can be displayed as well as some other nice new features, like seeing the audio bar raise when you increase the sound. At your level I dont think that gets displayed when NAV screen is up. There are numerous bug fixes to correct routing when you exit a route to get gas, etc. At your level, you get errors. There are more changes and fixes that make it worthwhile to do the 2013 update. Takes over 2 hours but can be stopped and restarted when car is turned off/on.

The_Judge is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

The maps in my 2011 CTS are indistiungishable from those that were in my 2008, but then I live and work in areas that have had little on no construction of new roads in the last several years. I don't care about the POIs -- they're of marginal use and not nearly as good as either OnStar or my iPhone5 or Google maps at finding places I want to go. Bottom line: I see no reason to spend $200 on essentially the same maps.

BTW, even OnStar has given me wrong directions. I was in San Bernardino recently and wanted to go to In-N-Out Burger for lunch. I knew the old location had been torn down about a year earlier because of a freeway widening project and didn't know where their new store was located. Sure enough, the OnStar operator gave me directions to the old location.

elo_mcfeelo is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS RWD with all options

I bought Magellan GPS for $90 from Costco; it has all the above features plus a Red Light Camera’s warning and a life time free update. My 08 Navigation works fine and once in a blue moon if I need to use a new map, Magellan comes handy.
    GPS technology is getting so cheap and paying $200 for EVERY update to GM is over rated.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

I have an early build 2010 and I noticed that the weather updates much quicker with the latest release. There may be some minor firmware updates. I noticed prior to the maps loading there was a short software update step. The XM weather use to take 30 plus minutes now its about 5 minutes.

loosend is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 DI RWD w/ Prem & Perf Pkgs Blk/Blk FE2

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    You will also see enhancements to the ways the map and audio screens can be displayed as well as some other nice new features, like seeing the audio bar raise when you increase the sound. At your level I dont think that gets displayed when NAV screen is up. There are numerous bug fixes to correct routing when you exit a route to get gas, etc. At your level, you get errors. There are more changes and fixes that make it worthwhile to do the 2013 update. Takes over 2 hours but can be stopped and restarted when car is turned off/on.
    By chance, did you verify this on a previously non-updated 2008? I have such a vehicle and the software vendor very confidently states (by phone and e-mail) that the 2013 update absolutely does not update anything other than the maps so I am not willing to pull the trigger if this update doesn't address the quirks as well. Let me know if I am misunderstanding something and thanks for the help.

As an alternative, check out Google Maps with Waze:

Why new Waze feature will keep Google Maps miles ahead of rivals

"Google on Tuesday announced that iPhone and Android users of Google Maps would now begin seeing live traffic reports posted by Waze users. That means that when Waze users indicate construction, heavy traffic, or a car accident on the road, the report will show up on both the Waze and Google Maps apps."

Works on your computer, too -- just go to Google Maps, click on the "MAP" icon in the upper right corner, and select the "Traffic" option. Better traffic info than SirusXM, more current maps, satellite views, and street views -- and it's F R E E !

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Interesting, but you will be confusing new owners. Has nothing to do with CTS NAV systems.

Marv

I don't think many CTS owners on this forum are that stupid. Of course it has nothing to do with the built-in NAV system, but it is an ALTERNATIVE to it, and can SUPPLEMENT the information from the NAV system, especially when it comes to things like new roads and POIs that aren't included in the outdated NAV data -- and it's ALWAYS going to be out of date -- although the NAV system is still good enough to get me to 99.99% of the destinations I need to find. However, I won't be paying SirusXM for traffic information anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.