Headlight Switch??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alien007
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Headlight Switch?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; First of all, I would like to say I'm new to this forum and am a first time Cadillac owner, ...
    Alien007 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS

Headlight Switch??

First of all, I would like to say I'm new to this forum and am a first time Cadillac owner, so greetings to everyone. I just purchased a 2011 CTS on Saterday and I'm hoping someone can help me out with my Headlight Selector issue. When I select either the Running Lights or the Headlights, the selector springs back to the Auto position and the Headlights or Running Lights don not turn on. Am I doing something wrong, is something programmed to prevent me from manually turning on the exterior lights?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien007
    First of all, I would like to say I'm new to this forum and am a first time Cadillac owner, so greetings to everyone. I just purchased a 2011 CTS on Saterday and I'm hoping someone can help me out with my Headlight Selector issue. When I select either the Running Lights or the Headlights, the selector springs back to the Auto position and the Headlights or Running Lights don not turn on. Am I doing something wrong, is something programmed to prevent me from manually turning on the exterior lights?
    Pretty sure your doing something wrong. It sounds like you may be rotating the fog light on/off switch instead of the headlight one. The headlight one is pretty much the tip of the "bar"( idk the proper name for blinker handle thing) and you just rotate the end of it to the setting you want. Not the one an inch or so from the end of the handle.

If you'd like an explanation with pictures and one that is more clear,open your glove box and look at your owners manual. That's what it's there for

----------

And welcome to Cadillac and the forum

Re: Headlight Switch??

Allright, sorry for the confusing post. Now that my wife has the car back from work, and I've played with it some more, the external light selector switch works as it should. The problem is when I maunualy select the head light, they don't come on. The parking lights do come on, day time driving lights work, just not the headlights when selected. I do get the reminder tone when door is open and the headlights are selected. I just tested the fuses and they are ok. I do have a bluish hue to both the low beam lamps. There is onli 7,450 miles on the car.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien007
    Allright, sorry for the confusing post. Now that my wife has the car back from work, and I've played with it some more, the external light selector switch works as it should. The problem is when I maunualy select the head light, they don't come on. The parking lights do come on, day time driving lights work, just not the headlights when selected. I do get the reminder tone when door is open and the headlights are selected. I just tested the fuses and they are ok. I do have a bluish hue to both the low beam lamps. There is onli 7,450 miles on the car.
    Well there's the problem, your wife is driving it... Haha. Are they HID or standard halogen headlights? How are the high beams? Does seem odd they if ou are properly turning them on manually, why aren't they coming on.

As much as I would like to think she was at fault, I have to blame myself for this one. Yes, the high beams do come on! I'm not sure if they are HID or standard hallogen, how can I tell the difference? The CTS is a 3.0L basic model.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Alien007 View Post
    Hello Alien007,

Welcome to the forum! It is a great place to interact and get advice from other Cadillac owners and lovers. If you would like your question answered about which headlights you have, I am more than happy to research this on your behalf if you provide me with your VIN. If you private message me we can continue to interact that way if you don't want to provide your VIN publicly.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Thanks for the reply Laura. I now know they are Hallogen and am wondering if the dealership I bought the car from pressure washed the engine bay and if that could have resulted in the lamps failure. The car is still under warranty and I'm bringing it in Monday to get this issue resolved. I have always enjoyed working on cars and was just curious. I guess for my own satisfaction I could measure the voltage to the lamp, and if present, know the lamp is at fault. If the voltage is not present when manually selecting the headlights, then the issue is before it.

Thanks for the reply Laura. I now know they are Hallogen and am wondering if the dealership I bought the car from pressure washed the engine bay and if that could have resulted in the lamps failure. The car is still under warranty and I'm bringing it in Monday to get this issue resolved. I have always enjoyed working on cars and was just curious. I guess for my own satisfaction I could measure the voltage to the lamp, and if present, know the lamp is at fault. If the voltage is not present when manually selecting the headlights, then the issue is before it.
    Hello Alien007,

I’m glad you found the answer to your question. Please keep us updated on how the visit to the dealership goes on Monday! Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to our post. We will be looking for your updates.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Hopefully it's something simple, but I'll certainly update this thread as soon as I learn what the dealership found.

As it turns out it was something simple, the lamps were out. I amagine the previous owner ran with the Day Time Running lights on all the time to cause the premature failure. I called the service department to find out if I have HID or hallogen lights and was told the service ticket would just mention lamp/bulb replacement with no specifics. I also provided the Parts Dept. with my VIN and was told I propably have Hallogen. I'll just wait until the next time they go out to determine what type they are, not really important now - it's repaired.

Thanks to veryone who replied and the warm welcome to this site.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 base CTS Sportwagon

When I select either the Running Lights or the Headlights, the selector springs back to the Auto position
    My 2013 does the spring load thing too, it makes no sense to someone who has always been able to turn off all the lamps. I wish the switch allowed the DRL/headlamps to be turned off manually.

As it turns out it was something simple, the lamps were out. I amagine the previous owner ran with the Day Time Running lights on all the time to cause the premature failure. I called the service department to find out if I have HID or hallogen lights and was told the service ticket would just mention lamp/bulb replacement with no specifics. I also provided the Parts Dept. with my VIN and was told I propably have Hallogen. I'll just wait until the next time they go out to determine what type they are, not really important now - it's repaired.

Thanks to veryone who replied and the warm welcome to this site.
    Hello Alien007,

I am glad to hear that it turned out to be something simple. If you ever have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to Laura or myself via private message. Thank you very much for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

*typed with tons of sarcasm*
    Alien007,
    You should have 100% blamed this on your wife having driven the car. That way you get to win one for the guys and maybe she'd just let you have the car all to yourself.

That's too damn funny, she's standing next me laughing as well! We havn't owned the car long enough, 1 1/2 weeks, for me to build any incriminating evidence against her. But, as with our other cars, and her history, it's just a matter of time, LOL!
    HurstGN likes this.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by hauler
    My 2013 does the spring load thing too, it makes no sense to someone who has always been able to turn off all the lamps. I wish the switch allowed the DRL/headlamps to be turned off manually.
    Are you sure umpire not talking about the fog lights? The headlight switch on my '12 coupe is not spring loaded but the fog lights are.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.