Safety problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Safety problem in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I bought my cts last November I was going into a parking spot and the accelerator went to the floor ...
    garyscts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

Safety problem

I bought my cts last November I was going into a parking spot and the accelerator went to the floor my car was going up the curb and onto the sidewalk, the only thing I could do is put both feet on the brakes but it still was climbing. I quickly turned off the ignition. After thanking God there were not any people on the sidewalk I went back to my home and called my dealership I first talked to Chris he told me I should not be driving around with your car doing this, one half hour later Jeff called me, he told me they can't help me and gave me a number for Cadillac and didn't even ask if anyone was hurt? What a nice guy! I called the number the first people I talked to was from Minila that's right a foreign country. I finally talked to Debra she sent up Martin Hule from Huston Texas to test my car at another dealership. Martin tested my car for two hours and said Debra would call me in a couple weeks. She called said she read the report and determined there was nothing wrong with my car except the brake pedal had some wear on it. Meanwhile I wrote Mr. Sapaugh at his dealership. I received an email from Joe Clemens from the dealership telling he will help me with my problems. For the last two week I've only heard from Joe four times, only once did he call me and I'm still waiting. This not only damaged my car but what if it happens again? NOBODY even addressed that it was a safety problem. Now I have a car that I have to repair and a dangerous car. WOULD YOU LET YOUR CHILDREN STAND IN FRONT OF MY CAR WHEN I START IT UP? I don't mind telling you that I'm pissed!!! What a big problem, my car is damaged and Cadillac just swept another problem under the rug. There are a lot of these cars that have the same problem just google the question.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Safety problem

Quote Originally Posted by garyscts View Post
    I bought my cts last November I was going into a parking spot and the accelerator went to the floor my car was going up the curb and onto the sidewalk, the only thing I could do is put both feet on the brakes but it still was climbing. I quickly turned off the ignition. After thanking God there were not any people on the sidewalk I went back to my home and called my dealership I first talked to Chris he told me I should not be driving around with your car doing this, one half hour later Jeff called me, he told me they can't help me and gave me a number for Cadillac and didn't even ask if anyone was hurt? What a nice guy! I called the number the first people I talked to was from Minila that's right a foreign country. I finally talked to Debra she sent up Martin Hule from Huston Texas to test my car at another dealership. Martin tested my car for two hours and said Debra would call me in a couple weeks. She called said she read the report and determined there was nothing wrong with my car except the brake pedal had some wear on it. Meanwhile I wrote Mr. Sapaugh at his dealership. I received an email from Joe Clemens from the dealership telling he will help me with my problems. For the last two week I've only heard from Joe four times, only once did he call me and I'm still waiting. This not only damaged my car but what if it happens again? NOBODY even addressed that it was a safety problem. Now I have a car that I have to repair and a dangerous car. WOULD YOU LET YOUR CHILDREN STAND IN FRONT OF MY CAR WHEN I START IT UP? I don't mind telling you that I'm pissed!!! What a big problem, my car is damaged and Cadillac just swept another problem under the rug. There are a lot of these cars that have the same problem just google the question.
    Hello garyscts,

I apologize for the experience that happened to you and am glad everyone is ok. I am also sorry to hear that you feel as if no one addressed that this was a safety issue or that you are not satisfied with the resolution you received. Could you provide me with your case number and VIN in a private message so I can look further into this situation for you? Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

[QUOTE=garyscts;10499089]I bought my cts last November I was going into a parking spot and the accelerator went to the floor .

Just to clarify, IIRC these cars are drive by wire, the electronic contacts in the pedal "rheostat" physically sucked the pedal to the floor overriding the springs ?

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I've read about a lot of such cases over the years. In fact, about 35 years ago an old guy ran his car into my house while trying to turn around in my driveway, ostensibly because the accelerator stuck. However, in virtually every such case, investigators eventually determine that the driver stomped on the accelerator when he or she meant to hit the brake, then kept pushing on it in a misguided (literally) effort to stop the car. And of course, denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
    Kingoftypos and 99flhr like this.

Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium

The OBD/Computer on newer cars should be both recording pedal input and actual engine speed/acceleration. With proper equipment, assuming the data has not been erased or overwritten, this should, in theory be easy to answer.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr
    Just to clarify, IIRC these cars are drive by wire, the electronic contacts in the pedal "rheostat" physically sucked the pedal to the floor overriding the springs ?
    Yeah, no way the pedal physically moved with an electronic throttle. Weather or not the throttle itself opened without driver input, is a different story.

FWIW, when Toyota went through the whole "in intended acceleration" thing, independent tests were done with several vehicles, ranging from entry level, to high performance cars. In all cases, the engine was nowhere near able to overpower the brakes.
    99flhr likes this.

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

I am a retired consulting engineer who specialized in accident reconstruction for 13 years. I had several "runaway vehicle" case and in none of them was traceable to a vehicle fault. MoistCabage is correct, properly functioning brakes will stop a car even with the accelerator pedal pushed to the floor. So it would require two simultaneous failures to create the scenario of the original post.
    99flhr likes this.

While I generally agree with billee's comments above, there are exceptions, such as the horrible Lexus incident in San Diego in 2009. Per the L.A. Times,

The 2009 Lexus ES 350 shot through suburban San Diego like a runaway missile, weaving at 120 miles an hour through rush hour freeway traffic as flames flashed from under the car.

At the wheel, veteran California Highway Patrol Officer Mark Saylor desperately tried to control the 272-horsepower engine that was roaring at full throttle as his wife, teenage daughter and brother-in-law were gripped by fear.

"We're in trouble. . . . There's no brakes," Saylor's brother-in-law Chris Lastrella told a police dispatcher over a cellphone. Moments later, frantic shrieks filled the car as it slammed into another vehicle and then careened into a dirt embankment, killing all four aboard.

Toyota asserted the accident was caused by the floor mats, which trapped the accelerator pedal (the dealer apparently installed the wrong mats, which were thicker and lacked the plastic anchors of the mats intended for the vehicle). That was disputed by the plaintiffs in the lawsuit, and I find Toyota's theory a little difficult to believe given that the driver was a CHP officer, highly trained in pursuit driving, and the event took place over several minutes. Moreover, I don't recall a satisfactory explanation as to why he couldn't turn off the ignition or push the gear selector to neutral or why the brakes failed. In any event, Toyota settled for $10 million.

More on the settlement and aftermath of the accident here: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/sep...wsuit-20100918

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

They have the Event Data Recorders that record what was going on in the car for 30 seconds before the incident. Couldn't they access that and tell you what was going on? I mean according to the manual it can tell if the seat belt was fastened so it must have plenty of information. Could you ask them for a copy of what the EDR said? For instance some people claimed that their foot was on the brake and manufacturers said no your foot was on the accelerator you just thought it was on the brake. That's why they have EDR's now. So, won't they provide a written copy of exactly what was happening during the incident with you?

billeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 DTS 2012 CTS

The EDR writes new data continuously to a temporary memory, and older data is discarded. When a signal is generated to deploy one of the air bags, the last few seconds of temporary data is transferred to a permanent memory. It doesn't sound like the air bags were deployed based on the description in the original post. Therefore there would be no data stored.

Quote Originally Posted by rchern View Post
    They have the Event Data Recorders that record what was going on in the car for 30 seconds before the incident. Couldn't they access that and tell you what was going on? I mean according to the manual it can tell if the seat belt was fastened so it must have plenty of information. Could you ask them for a copy of what the EDR said? For instance some people claimed that their foot was on the brake and manufacturers said no your foot was on the accelerator you just thought it was on the brake. That's why they have EDR's now. So, won't they provide a written copy of exactly what was happening during the incident with you?

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Quote Originally Posted by billeee View Post
    The EDR writes new data continuously to a temporary memory, and older data is discarded. When a signal is generated to deploy one of the air bags, the last few seconds of temporary data is transferred to a permanent memory. It doesn't sound like the air bags were deployed based on the description in the original post. Therefore there would be no data stored.
    According to my manual under Event Data Recorders it states 'The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain situations, such as an airbag deployment or hitting a road obstacle, data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle's systems performed.' There's quite a bit more information on EDR's but it doesn't sound like the airbags necessarily have to go off. I'm just suggesting to the guy that he could read the manual carefully and call Cadillac and see if he can get some info. It's up to him if he wants to do it or not.

NO, I know what happened I WAS THE ONE IN THE VEHICLE I AM NOT STUPID

----------

I'm A BIG BOY SO DON'T JUSTIFY THIS ON WHAT HAPPENED 35 YEARS AGO

----------

If it was "easy to answer" why didn't Martin Huele of Raytheon Professional Services fly up to St. Louis from Huston find the "easy to answer" question?

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Big boys don't need to shout to get a point across.
    Kingoftypos likes this.

billeee, sorry I didn't notice you in the passengers seat!

----------

Martin Huele tried to get my car to have the same problem, did you think it would do it just for him? It might do it today or 10 years from now. It took four deaths to have Toyota to respond to these problems. I've been driving since I was 16 I worked part time for an auto auction everyone was warning each other about cars that did the same thing mine did. I didn't believe it either, until it happened to me, yes the car just took off on it's own power I did the same thing I did with my car the only way to stop it was turning off the engine. I came 1/2 inch from hitting one of the other employees. I'm a believer now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.