Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 – first impressions....almost - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 – first impressions....almost in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have the 19" A/S 3's on my 2011 CTS. Like them. Recommened....
    The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 – first impressions....almost

I have the 19" A/S 3's on my 2011 CTS. Like them. Recommened.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

I have the Continental Extreme DSW, so far with 1 week of driving, I like them. Much quieter than the previous Pirelli P-Zero Nero. I have not done any spirited corners, nor do I that often anyways. 99% commute to/from work so I can't speak to cornering aside from it's fine with what roads I run on. Got to drive in heavy rain and noticed the DSW's really move the water out of the way well.

smooth_ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS AWD

I got the alternative: Michelin Primacy. They seem very close to the OEMs, but cheaper. They seem just as good.

leroy_ctscoupe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS Coupe

@Panzer Leader - I'd go with the Pilot Super Sports, great tires! I had them on my previous car. 2013 G37xS coupe. Looking to get them one the tires wear out on my CTS Coupe.

number2jcb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Wgn 3.6 AWD Prem

If you go summer, go Pilot Super Sport. Otherwise, I have been very happy with A/S 3 on our 2011 cts wagon and my 2012 e550. They are not great in the winter. They are better than summer tires, but terrible compared to any snow tire.

Dave Buswell is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe; 2013 XTS

I put on a set of Pilot Sport AS/3s and have about 6,000 miles on them. This particular tire has been THE replacement tire I have used on virtually every Cadillac I have owned in the last 10 years or so. A major change with the latest AS/3 from earlier versions is that it is NOT a directional tire; they may be switched side to side if there are different front and rear sizes on your car as there are on my '11 premium coupe or Xd if all the same.. I would also suggest that the psi be kept up to 27.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

27 psi? Our standard tires are 32-35 psi, and a couple of us (Judge and myself) keep them at 37.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Buswell View Post
    This particular tire has been THE replacement tire I have used on virtually every Cadillac I have owned in the last 10 years or so.
    "This particular tire," Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, first became available less than one year ago, right?

That was my initial thought, too. Maybe Dave was thinking of AS2

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    AS3 became available approximately a year ago.
    I always keep psi at 37 on C&S regardless of tires. It makes handling much better.

number2jcb is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Wgn 3.6 AWD Prem

27psi will lead to early death of any tire on a CTS. 35psi COLD, minimum. That means on a warm day after driving for 20-30 minutes you should have 38-39 psi in the tire.

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

I have the AS3s now. They replaced a dead set of DWS. I really like the AS3, it seems comparable to the DWS is the dry and wet, but the DWS was better in the snow. What I really like is that thet don't flat spot sitting in the garage over nght like the DWS did. Every morning was the same, steering would shake untill I got the tires warm again and they smoothed out. I ran the DWS at 38 psi cold, the AS3 seems happiest at 36 cold. They have a bit more sidewall stiffness than the DWS did.

I put them on in the fall and have about 8000 miles on them now and they seem to be wearing very well. Very little noticable reduction in tread depth so far.

Northern SRX is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6

Just swapped out the OEMs on my '10 AWD (235/50/18s) and feel that they are in all respects superior to the OEM Pilot Sports. I like that they're not directional and the wet grip is phenomenal. Very precise.

I also keep my tires inflated in the 32-35 zone.

Lower than recommended psi.

techtype is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Luxury Sedan

JERRY C. WHITE says:
    Background: ASE certified in passenger and truck catgories intire, wheel and brake systems, certified TIA (Tire Industry Association) instructor in both passenger light and medium truck categories. I have been an earnest student of the tire business since 1942 and am still active in business today.

I recommend using the door placard pressure, but only if the pressure is checked before driving in the morning. Have your gauge checked against a certified master gauge. Inflation specs that vary from front to rear are not necessarily for the actual axle weight. Many times these values are specified to minimize oversteer. If you habitually carry heavy loads or lots of passengers, then increase the cold inflation up to 4 psi over spec–but do NOT exceed the maximum value on the sidewall for cold inflation. Tires increase in pressure while driving, and the casing is designed to accommodate this pressure rise. If you always drive by yourself, you might even drop the cold pressure by 2 psi. Overinflation decreases the ride quality, and can affect handling and traction adversely. If you drive a mile or two to the tire shop for inflation check and the placard pressure is 30 psi and your tires read this value, they are actually underinflated. Better add two or more pounds and recheck when they are cold. Also, never bleed air from a hot tire, unless the reading is far beyond the recommended pressure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.