Black Diamond Tricoat Touch Up, Repair, Repaint, Etc.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Black Diamond Tricoat Touch Up, Repair, Repaint, Etc. in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; My '12 coupe is having a makeover next week and one of things I want done is to have a ...
    Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium

Black Diamond Tricoat Touch Up, Repair, Repaint, Etc.

My '12 coupe is having a makeover next week and one of things I want done is to have a few hood chips, scratches etc. fixed. One place is going to b tricky and may require that the entire section be repainted. I did a search here on the forums and did not come up with a definitive answer. Who here knows the correct procedure/process for laying on black diamond tricoat? I have the paint code, and I understand the base/midcoat/clearcoat steps, but what are the gotcha's that even a high end paint and body shop needs to know about this particular paint?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Xav8tor
    My '12 coupe is having a makeover next week and one of things I want done is to have a few hood chips, scratches etc. fixed. One place is going to b tricky and may require that the entire section be repainted. I did a search here on the forums and did not come up with a definitive answer. Who here knows the correct procedure/process for laying on black diamond tricoat? I have the paint code, and I understand the base/midcoat/clearcoat steps, but what are the gotcha's that even a high end paint and body shop needs to know about this particular paint?
    I just posted this in the ATS forum in response to a thread about painting and matching.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I went through the same thing when I got a huge door ding on my '12 Black Diamond CTS Coupe that actually damaged the paint a little. I took the car to several places and everyone tried convincing me to try to avoid a re spray at all cost because it would require that the whole side of the car to be repainted to match how the metal flake would lay. One person quoted me at least $3k to $4K to reshoot the whole side of the car..... Again for a door ding. When the car is assembled it goes through a three stage paint process where the car is painted with all the panels mounted to get that nice uniform match. Too many variables later when you repaint only one panel (spray pattern, motion as it is now painted by hand versus a robot, etc.).

In the end I went the paintless dent repair route and got 99% of it out. No one could tell, but I can see a little bit of it if I stand a certain way if the light is just right.
    I would be very cautious about painting the car and make sure that the person doing the work knows what they are doing. The car was painted on an assembly line with all body panels getting painted at the same time by robots. That means an even consistent paint where the metal flake laying evenly and consistently. Spot painting panels, even blending will show inconsistencies. That's why people told me that the entire side of the car had to be painted so that as your eye went across the car at least the flake would be consistent. It doesn't matter as much if the flake on the left side of the car didn't quite match the right side as you can't look at both sides at the same time.

Again, I had many professionals who could have easily tried to sell me more work, tell me to try and avoid repainting the car if possible. In other words, try to live with a small blemish because the fix may be worse than the original ill.

Re: Black Diamond Tricoat Touch Up, Repair, Repaint, Etc.

So what do you do with tiny chips in the hood etc.? Just ignore them? I too have read some horror stories, but I've seen this one body shop I do biz with perform miracles, and they do plenty of exotic cars. I know the tricoat is a special process, but it seems like by now, more than a few people would have been in fender benders and gone through the process enough to ascertain the right way to do it. I can just see down the road telling an adjuster he has to spring for an entire car paint job when only a quarter panel is damaged. Kind of makes me wish I hadn't gotten the black diamond.

So what do you do with tiny chips in the hood etc.? Just ignore them? I too have read some horror stories, but I've seen this one body shop I do biz with perform miracles, and they do plenty of exotic cars. I know the tricoat is a special process, but it seems like by now, more than a few people would have been in fender benders and gone through the process enough to ascertain the right way to do it. I can just see down the road telling an adjuster he has to spring for an entire car paint job when only a quarter panel is damaged. Kind of makes me wish I hadn't gotten the black diamond.
    Do you have a lot of chips? I use this product and it works pretty well for the occasional chip, as long as you don't have road rash. My previous car (Acura RL) had a pretty bad road rash. It helped, but didn't eliminate it.

http://www.drcolorchip.com/?gclid=CO...Fe9aMgodmhoAAg

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Do you have a lot of chips? I use this product and it works pretty well for the occasional chip, as long as you don't have road rash. My previous car (Acura RL) had a pretty bad road rash. It helped, but didn't eliminate it.

And then get a clear bra!

No, just a couple, but that product won't work. They erroneously have Black Diamond as not being a tricoat paint, and for White Diamond, they have a disclaimer. Right off the bat, they're not worthy of consideration.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    And then get a clear bra!
    I hate bras...even clear ones.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I had a small chip on the front of my hood. My car is silver. They insisted on painting the entire hood to maintain a color match. Well it does match perfectly but as gohawks63 said; the color is mottled and in the sunlight you can see the inconsistencies in the depth of color. I tried the Lankin system and if anything it made it worse.

I hate bras...even clear ones.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you do need a repaint, right? Sometimes we need to make choices, you made yours, I made mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    I hate bras...even clear ones.
    Yeah, but you do need a repaint, right? Sometimes we need to make choices, you made yours, I made mine![/QUOTE]

--------

How visible is the bra? Ref other methods, I have seen one or two places that sell the paint and they clearly state it is a three step process and requires special paint. It is not cheap.

No, just a couple, but that product won't work. They erroneously have Black Diamond as not being a tricoat paint, and for White Diamond, they have a disclaimer. Right off the bat, they're not worthy of consideration.

----------

I have used it and for small chips it works.

----------

Yeah, but you do need a repaint, right? Sometimes we need to make choices, you made yours, I made mine!
    --------

How visible is the bra? Ref other methods, I have seen one or two places that sell the paint and they clearly state it is a three step process and requires special paint. It is not cheap.
    You don't need a three step process to fix a small chip though.

sliderule01 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Wagon

I have a 2010 Black Diamond wagon. The clearcoat has been damaged/destroyed by leaves sitting on the car, and the occasional bird poop. I have tried buffing it to no avail - it looks like the car has been through a cheap camouflage job where some one paints over a leaf and leaves the outline. I have had other cars without having the paint destroyed in such a quick time. I am really not sure what can be done other than a complete repaint - really sad when you have to do that after 16 months.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule01 View Post
    I have a 2010 Black Diamond wagon. The clearcoat has been damaged/destroyed by leaves sitting on the car, and the occasional bird poop. I have tried buffing it to no avail - it looks like the car has been through a cheap camouflage job where some one paints over a leaf and leaves the outline. I have had other cars without having the paint destroyed in such a quick time. I am really not sure what can be done other than a complete repaint - really sad when you have to do that after 16 months.
    I've got the same problem where the dealer decal was (REALLY bad), and where a previous owner put 60's style pinstripes down the side. My body man says its down into the clearcoat but is confident he can get that out without a complete repaint. The few chips I have are another story. I may just leave them alone unless it gets really bad down the road, then repaint the entire hood. By then somebody, somewhere, just have this paint, and repair of same, figured out. It's not rocket surgery.

Anyone have actual long-term experience with the clear bra (hood cover) sold in the Caddy accessories catalog? If it is easily seen, or anything like the vast majority of iPhone/iPad screen protectors, I don't see that as an option. Same logic. Why spend megabucks for a stunning design, only to have to cover it's shine, feel, etc, with cheap plastic that itself is probably prone to scratches, bubbles, streaks, Newton rings, edge peeling, a different sheen ... yadayada.

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule01 View Post
    I have had etching occur with bird poop. I use Meguiar's Fine scratch remover with a terry cloth applicator and it takes it right off. You have to use the terry cloth applicators. The foam ones that come with the was don't work. Don't forget to re-apply wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Xav8tor View Post
    Anyone have actual long-term experience with the clear bra (hood cover) sold in the Caddy accessories catalog? If it is easily seen, or anything like the vast majority of iPhone/iPad screen protectors, I don't see that as an option. Same logic. Why spend megabucks for a stunning design, only to have to cover it's shine, feel, etc, with cheap plastic that itself is probably prone to scratches, bubbles, streaks, Newton rings, edge peeling, a different sheen ... yadayada.
    I can't comment on the Cad ones, but my car has a 3M bumper, hood and mirror clear bra and it does the job great. Not cheap, but much cheaper than a repair. Is it invisible, no. I would suggest that you talk with your dealer about the Cad ones and look at cars in the lot or even any parking lot to see how they look on different color cars. Most luxury car owners buy them to protect their cars, so any brand in any lot will give you a lot of examples to compare.

3M has the best rated products, they apply well, are thicker and really do look fine. My 2 cents, Marv

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

The most important question regarding the clear bra is....can you still see the nipples?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.