The album art issue revisited
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The album art issue revisited in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello all, Could anyone provide a concise explanation as to whether the CTS is capable of displaying album art? There ...
    Mr. TellOnEverybody is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Premium Coupe

The album art issue revisited

Hello all,

Could anyone provide a concise explanation as to whether the CTS is capable of displaying album art? There is a rather convoluted thread on the subject buried somewhere in the archives, and despite using the iTunes method, I haven't been able to get anything to display on my screen. Any commentary is appreciated. Thanks, guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: The album art issue revisited

No, it can't.

Thanks for the prompt response! You would figure that at this point they would be up on that particular feature. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, there isn't a straightforward way to replace the stock stereo with an aftermarket unit. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge
    No, it can't.
    I thought it could if you burned the CD directly to the hard drive.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    When burning from CD, it transfers all the song data with it but no album art.

One forum member here retrofitted an aftermarket head unit but we never did see the end product...looked decent too.

I don't know about replacing the stock stereo, but I'm very skeptical that it could be done satisfactorily. The stereo is an integral part of the NAV system, including voice recognition, Bluetooth, and the steering wheel controls, and it uses the same HDD. I for one wouldn't want to lose any of those features for a small improvement in sound quality. Moreover, I don't see the purpose in spending tons of money on an audio system for a car as the road noise defeats the purpose of doing so, and I rarely listen to the music when I'm parked.

As for your comment that one would expect the system to include the album art feature, you have to understand that the technology used in the car is several years old -- what I have in my 2011 CTS is identical to what I had in my 2008 CTS, and I believe the same as in the 2013 model. I'm certain that it was developed at least two to three years prior to that. Given the high degree of integration of systems in a modern car, that's not likely to change anytime soon. However, I expect the systems in the 2014 CTS, which is pretty much new from the tires on up, will be better in all regards.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83
    When burning from CD, it transfers all the song data with it but no album art.

One forum member here retrofitted an aftermarket head unit but we never did see the end product...looked decent too.
    Ah... Thank you.

----------

I don't know about replacing the stock stereo, but I'm very skeptical that it could be done satisfactorily. The stereo is an integral part of the NAV system, including voice recognition, Bluetooth, and the steering wheel controls, and it uses the same HDD. I for one wouldn't want to lose any of those features for a small improvement in sound quality. Moreover, I don't see the purpose in spending tons of money on an audio system for a car as the road noise defeats the purpose of doing so, and I rarely listen to the music when I'm parked.

As for your comment that one would expect the system to include the album art feature, you have to understand that the technology used in the car is several years old -- what I have in my 2011 CTS is identical to what I had in my 2008 CTS, and I believe the same as in the 2013 model. I'm certain that it was developed at least two to three years prior to that. Given the high degree of integration of systems in a modern car, that's not likely to change anytime soon. However, I expect the systems in the 2014 CTS, which is pretty much new from the tires on up, will be better in all regards.
    I agree. I posted an article here a few months back on why Electronics in cars don't evolve as fast as the rest of the consumer market. I'll have to find it.

I also agree with you comments about replacing the stock stereo. We've come a long way from the days of simply going to a stereo shop, replacing the head unit and speakers and adding an amp. Too much integration that can be lost that isn't worth the improvements for a car. Then again it might also because I am getting older.

My son has a subwoofer box in the trunk of his car that weighs the same as a dead body. When he has the volume cranked on that thing you're surprised that the glass doesn't pop out. I don't find it enjoyable, but then again, I am getting older.

Here is the article.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...8&pageNumber=1

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I agree. I posted an article here a few months back on why Electronics in cars don't evolve as fast as the rest of the consumer market. I'll have to find it.

I also agree with you comments about replacing the stock stereo. We've come a long way from the days of simply going to a stereo shop, replacing the head unit and speakers and adding an amp. Too much integration that can be lost that isn't worth the improvements for a car. Then again it might also because I am getting older.

My son has a subwoofer box in the trunk of his car that weighs the same as a dead body. When he has the volume cranked on that thing you're surprised that the glass doesn't pop out. I don't find it enjoyable, but then again, I am getting older.

Here is the article.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...8&pageNumber=1
    I don't think the dislike of exceptionally loud music has anything to do with cootism -- I've never liked it, and I've been into music since I was a kid. But then I mostly like classical, jazz, and real rock and roll (you know -- the kind with lyrics and melodies).

You might want to share this with you son, and perhaps he'll ditch the dead body:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000495.htm

And this:

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.u...oud-music.aspx

I don't think the dislike of exceptionally loud music has anything to do with cootism -- I've never liked it, and I've been into music since I was a kid. But then I mostly like classical, jazz, and real rock and roll (you know -- the kind with lyrics and melodies).

You might want to share this with you son, and perhaps he'll ditch the dead body:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000495.htm

And this:

http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.u...oud-music.aspx
    Yeah I am with you. I still don't mind turning up the volume when a classic rock song comes on, but I don't think you need to have your ear drums bleed.

I'm not a huge fan of the loud music thing either. However, exploring the capabilities of the in-dash unit does intrigue me. Think of it this way: essentially what you have is an underpowered PC, probably running some version of Linux. If that's the case, then there are a variety of things the unit can do which GM may have deemed unnecessary when they rolled the vehicle off the assembly line. I think I recall seeing someone on this forum running Windows XP on a first-gen CTS. That's cool, and I'd love to talk to that guy. With that said, is album art a critical feature? No. Would it be neat? Yes. People jailbreak their iPhones for similar reasons.

The NAV system runs Microsoft Windows Automotive.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

I don't have the NAV but I do have the HDD. I just want to know why some of my CDs, both new and old aren't in the Gracenote database. I have about a 1/2 dozen CDs that all I get is NO INFO. I do have a couple obscure ones, but am surprised at a couple that it doesn't recognize at all despite being what I would consider "popular."

Well, there is a guy in this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-hacked-3.html) who claims to have performed some cosmetic hacking: changing the start screen and updating the navigation and Gracenote databases. Perhaps if we invoke the names @wait4me and @afterdigital 3 times they will hear our weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Regarding features like album art, Cadillac addressed most of the shortcomings in our systems with CUE. CUE can display album art among the long list of new features. One thing that I find a step down about the CUE units is that you can only time-shift 20 minutes of live radio, not an hour like in our systems.

The system in our CTS's is interesting because it was a one-off system not used in other models. The SRX had a more updated version back when it had the pop-up screen, and now the SRX has CUE. The STS and Escalade had / have ancient GM nav systems that weren't really full infotainment systems.

So with CUE at least progress is being made feature-wise.

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.