Navigation software
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gohawks63
  • 2 Post By MoFex
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Navigation software in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Cadillac's nav software is horrible. Does anyone know if Apple's or Google's map software can be downloaded instead???...
    acolorito is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Luxury

Navigation software

Cadillac's nav software is horrible. Does anyone know if Apple's or Google's map software can be downloaded instead???

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: Navigation software

Neither Apple's nor Google's software will work with the car's NAV system, or at least I've never heard of it being done. You're stuck with the software that came with the car (although there are annual updates available for a ridiculous price).

I use it quite often and don't have any serious complaints about it -- what problems are you having?

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge
    Neither Apple's nor Google's software will work with the car's NAV system, or at least I've never heard of it being done. You're stuck with the software that came with the car (although there are annual updates available for a ridiculous price).

I use it quite often and don't have any serious complaints about it -- what problems are you having?
    Same here it works well enough for me.
    Mistercoffee2 likes this.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    The Cadillac nav system is not the best one but to say it is horrible it would be exaggeration, to say the least. I have owned at lest 5 Garmin units, I do have iPad and iPhone and would have to say Apple maps are horrible. Google is much better. Still I have no major problems with Cadillac nav system. I have the feeling that many people just want apps everywhere, does not matter how good they are. I would advise anyone to concentrate on driving and forget about apps. Hence my dislike of GM new nav/radio system. The cue just does not cut for me. It has long way to go and to advertise it as pinch in, slide etc. it simply stupid. I would like to meet with the person who designed this ad, but I'm sure he is too arrogant to even talk about it.

For all who complain about the "horrible" GM nav system just get on with driving. Pay attention to surroundings. Nav is just a great aid, that's all. If you do not like it go back home to your play station or similar device...
    RAB and The_Judge like this.

Surfstix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS4 Coupe Premium & 2008 SRX4

My wifes nav in her SRX intermittently has brain farts and cannot recalculate the route if a turn is missed it just tells you to keep going.Also her radio has intermittent issues along with the ultrasonic alarm in reverse GM can't find the problem the unit has already been replaced and works worse now then ever we use our Garmin for nav now.

ultimate_ed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

I must confess - I haven't used the NAV in my CTS at all since I got my first Droid when Google offered built-in navigation. And, honestly, I bought the NAV radio more for the touch screen access to the other infotainment features. If Cadillac had offered the pop-up touchscreen without NAV, I would have gone for that.

Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium

I have used Google and Apple iOS map apps only a few times for nav, so correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Apple's shortcomings (initially a disaster), both require Internet connectivity to download map tiles and other info as you progress along your route. The entire map database is not stored on your device as it is with other apps. Therefore, if you're off the beaten path (out of cell coverage), you'll still know your location in terms of lat/long from the GPS, but that's about it. You'd be going from a satellite based app with a complete database to a cellular based app with data downloaded as you move. That said, in terms of feature set, map/POI accuracy, and interface, there are far better iPhone/Pad apps than the built in nav system.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by Xav8tor View Post
    I have used Google and Apple iOS map apps only a few times for nav, so correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from Apple's shortcomings (initially a disaster), both require Internet connectivity to download map tiles and other info as you progress along your route. The entire map database is not stored on your device as it is with other apps.
    You are correct. That's why I purchased foreign SIM cards for my Android phone when in Europe - so I could use its navigation capabilities while walking the streets of Prague and Vienna (just try figuring out an address in Prague without having a search function).

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by MaxBuck View Post
    You are correct. That's why I purchased foreign SIM cards for my Android phone when in Europe - so I could use its navigation capabilities while walking the streets of Prague and Vienna (just try figuring out an address in Prague without having a search function).
    Why did you have to have a separate sim card? My iPhone save my back side many times why in Prague last summer. It also works on other continents...

Xtant12 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS-AWD DI ( Hot Lava Edition )

I actually just did the update. It was 120.00 for about a 1 hour job. I have way more icons now that show me places, but my dam cell phone is still not reconized by front port.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Xtant12 View Post
    I actually just did the update. It was 120.00 for about a 1 hour job. I have way more icons now that show me places, but my dam cell phone is still not reconized by front port.
    Hello Xtant12,

I apologize that your phone isn’t recognized by the front port in your CTS. Did you bring this concern back up to the dealership that performed the update? If you would like us to contact them on your behalf, please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you were working with. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.