Cadillac
 

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 08 CTS Engine Rattle

  1. #1
    CTSILLAC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    25

    08 CTS Engine Rattle

    I have a 2008 CTS4 with base 3.6 engine. Over the last year I started to notice a rattle coming from under the hood / engine when I am accelerating around the 2k rpm area. The sound is a rattle that reminds me of a spray paint can ball. It doesn't rattle while coasting or in neutral and won't rattle when the car is stopped and I rev the engine. It's gotten mildly worse over time but is somewhat inconsistent.

    I've researched this to death online and although I see other people commenting that they have the same sound from their 08, I've yet to find someone with an answer.

    Someone must know what this is, it appears to be an issue other are having.


  2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    C&C's Avatar
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac XT5 (2017)
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mount Pleasant, SC
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,963

    Re: 08 CTS Engine Rattle

    The first thing I would try (unless you are sure it is mechanical) is to try some high octane fuel. Under load and low in the torque curve you may be experiencing ping. While your engine doesn't require premium, if you have acquired some carbon deposits (over the years), ping can occur. If the premium corrects your concerns, a change in fuel (to toptier) and/or fuel additive, i.e. SeaFoam, Techron, etc., and some high spirited accelerations, this may correct you condition. If mechanical, it could be the timing chain or tensioner (not good); but first things first.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Detroit, USA
    Posts
    12,711

    Re: 08 CTS Engine Rattle

    Quote Originally Posted by CTSILLAC View Post
    I have a 2008 CTS4 with base 3.6 engine. Over the last year I started to notice a rattle coming from under the hood / engine when I am accelerating around the 2k rpm area. The sound is a rattle that reminds me of a spray paint can ball. It doesn't rattle while coasting or in neutral and won't rattle when the car is stopped and I rev the engine. It's gotten mildly worse over time but is somewhat inconsistent.

    I've researched this to death online and although I see other people commenting that they have the same sound from their 08, I've yet to find someone with an answer.

    Someone must know what this is, it appears to be an issue other are having.
    Hello CTSILLAC,

    I apologize for the rattling noise you have noticed under the hood of your vehicle. I understand how trying to figure this issue out can be frustrating. If you private message me with your contact information, VIN and current mileage, I am more than happy to look into this concern for you.

    Regards,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  5. #4
    Overclock This is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    44

    Re: 08 CTS Engine Rattle

    I have this exact same issue and it seems like it's worse when the weather is hotter.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Detroit, USA
    Posts
    12,711

    Re: 08 CTS Engine Rattle

    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock This View Post
    I have this exact same issue and it seems like it's worse when the weather is hotter.
    Hello Overclock This,

    I am sorry you are also experiencing this issue. If you private message me with your contact information, VIN and current mileage, I can look into this matter for you.

    Sincerely,

    Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

  7. #6
    jovi440 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Baton Rouge La
    Posts
    176

    Re: 08 CTS Engine Rattle

    Quote Originally Posted by C&C View Post
    The first thing I would try (unless you are sure it is mechanical) is to try some high octane fuel. Under load and low in the torque curve you may be experiencing ping. While your engine doesn't require premium, if you have acquired some carbon deposits (over the years), ping can occur. If the premium corrects your concerns, a change in fuel (to toptier) and/or fuel additive, i.e. SeaFoam, Techron, etc., and some high spirited accelerations, this may correct you condition. If mechanical, it could be the timing chain or tensioner (not good); but first things first.
    My 08 has never done this, but I think C&C has hit the nail on the head.Cadillac can clean all this, I believe for around $240 and is recommended somewhere around every 30000 miles, but i'm not sure about the mileage.


Bookmarks

Cadillac Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Read about Lincoln | Buick | Kia Forte Forum