The little things cadillac could and should have done
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The little things cadillac could and should have done in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Ok- I will start off by saying that I love how my 2013 awd coupe rides and overall am very ...
    HGK2 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 cts coupe awd

The little things cadillac could and should have done

Ok- I will start off by saying that I love how my 2013 awd coupe rides and overall am very happy with the car (except the paint). This is a list of minor things cadillac imo should have done to make the car almost perfect.

1-power folding mirrors when you shut the car off-if kia can have them cadillac definitely should. Ok so I just get out of the car and fold the mirrors in-really at $50k?

2-lighting for the shifter on the console-I find looking down at my shifter in the dark and not seeing the prnd illuminated is weird Ok-so now I learn to look at the dash, but it's dumb.

3-real fog lamps-there is virtually no difference between the fog lights being on and off in terms of seeing the road better. I guess they are more for looks and to make you feel as if you got something for paying the extra for that option package.

4-a rear back up camera that has yellow directional lines to direct you in reverse. This is the only back up camera I have seen with no guidance lines. I have nearly crashed my rear quarter twice because I couldn't judge the distance of objects in back and to the sides. I rely now on the mirrors.

5-dual zone heating and cooling with dual blower fan settings as well as dual temp. controls. I find it annoying when my wife wants the heat set on 80 degrees or more on high fan and I have to have my temp set at 60 and am stuck with the same fan setting. And yes -she will win this argument every time.

6-an instruction manual for loading music into the hard drive that actually does what the directions state they should. Guess the person who wrote the instructions for the manual never talked to the person who made the hard drive to find out how it would work.

Ok- now before you all tell me to just enjoy the car for what it is- I do and I may even buy the car after my lease is up. But these are my opinions on what cadillac should have done with the car and maybe it will make the next gen that much better.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rspreng is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Sedan RWD Radiant Silver|Ebony

Re: The little things cadillac could and should have done

Interesting comments.
    My thoughts
    1. I have never folded in a mirror or found a need to. I think it's a gimmick.
    2. Is the gear shift positions on the dash? I tend to not look at either, it's just a feel position, guess from driving straight shifts all my life.
    3. I will give you that one, I lowered the angle a little and that seems to help but still poor compared to say my GMC truck.
    4. I have yellow guide lines but I find the whole experience odd I favor the outside mirrors and when I get close to stopping I look at camera. I tend to feel if you are watching the camera your forgetting what the front/sides of the car is doing.
    5. I can see that. Does anyone offer that level of independent control.
    6. No experience

Again my opinions.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by HGK2 View Post
    Ok- I will start off by saying that I love how my 2013 awd coupe rides and overall am very happy with the car (except the paint). This is a list of minor things cadillac imo should have done to make the car almost perfect.

1-power folding mirrors when you shut the car off-if kia can have them cadillac definitely should. Ok so I just get out of the car and fold the mirrors in-really at $50k?

2-lighting for the shifter on the console-I find looking down at my shifter in the dark and not seeing the prnd illuminated is weird Ok-so now I learn to look at the dash, but it's dumb.

3-real fog lamps-there is virtually no difference between the fog lights being on and off in terms of seeing the road better. I guess they are more for looks and to make you feel as if you got something for paying the extra for that option package.

4-a rear back up camera that has yellow directional lines to direct you in reverse. This is the only back up camera I have seen with no guidance lines. I have nearly crashed my rear quarter twice because I couldn't judge the distance of objects in back and to the sides. I rely now on the mirrors.

5-dual zone heating and cooling with dual blower fan settings as well as dual temp. controls. I find it annoying when my wife wants the heat set on 80 degrees or more on high fan and I have to have my temp set at 60 and am stuck with the same fan setting. And yes -she will win this argument every time.

6-an instruction manual for loading music into the hard drive that actually does what the directions state they should. Guess the person who wrote the instructions for the manual never talked to the person who made the hard drive to find out how it would work.

Ok- now before you all tell me to just enjoy the car for what it is- I do and I may even buy the car after my lease is up. But these are my opinions on what cadillac should have done with the car and maybe it will make the next gen that much better.
    Hello HGK2,

I am happy to hear that you are overall very happy with your CTS! Thank you for your input concerning some of your opinions that would have made the vehicle better. I will document them for you and make sure that they are passed on to the correct group. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your vehicle, feel free to message us privately so we can look into the situation for you. Thank you very much for your time and enjoy your CTS!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up. It's nice to avoid curb rash and just generally how close you are to your surroundings. I would also note that I followed the directions and have put 30gb of music on my HDD. Admittedly, it was slow by putting in 200 CDs of music but it got the job done. While a thumb drive would have been much faster, I never could find a way to organize it the way I like. Don't know of a car that has separate fans. I'm sure they exist but I'm also sure the price would be high. And I also have yellow lines in my backup camera so I'm not sure what is going on in your car.

A couple other things since suggestions are being offered. Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must). Simpler layout for the steering wheel buttons i.e., less of them with possible dials or levers. I've had my car for nearly 1.5 years now and I still have to look down at the steering wheel to make sure I have the right button. It should be able to be done by feel alone so that one doesn't have to take your eyes off the road. Cupholders in the doors should be an inexpensive fix. And the last thing I can think of is those damn trunk arms. To me, and only IMHO, not having hidden trunk arms is what makes the CTS looks cheap. Not raggin. The CTS is still the best car out there for the money, but NO CAR is 100% perfect. I can live with 98% perfect and be VERY happy.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by HGK2

1. I have them on our other vehicle (BMW X5). Never use them. I never par close enough to another car for them to be useful. Worried about door dings.
    2. Thought that too initially, but really don't miss it.
    3. Agree that the fogs are worthless. I never use them.
    4. Meh. Our X5 has the lines along with the birds eye view with the cameras around the car. I don't really miss the guide lines when getting out of the X5 and going into the CTs, but I do like the bird's eye view.
    6. I didn't have an issue

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

Never had a problem noticing the fog lights being on and providing better visibility even before the higher lumens phillips vision plus were put in my car.

All of the other stuff doesn't bother me it only takes me 2 seconds to fold the mirror in lol

For me the biggest detractor is the silver plastic on the center console looks tacky as hell but the new CTS has more material wrapping on it so it looks like they addressed it.
    Except I hate seeing all of the finger prints in the new glossy black plastic that Gm is using on the ATS & 2014 CTS center consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones
    I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up. It's nice to avoid curb rash and just generally how close you are to your surroundings.
    This definitely! I had it my Acura and it's in the X5. Miss this.

I'm sure they exist but I'm also sure the price would be high. And I also have yellow lines in my backup camera so I'm not sure what is going on in your car.

Guidelines aren't present on cars with navigation where the camera image shows up on the NAV screen.

A couple other things since suggestions are being offered. Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must.
    My steering wheel goes up and the drivers seat will slide back when exiting.

Agree about the one touch access for the back

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
    I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up.
    Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must). Simpler layout for the steering wheel buttons i.e., less of them with possible dials or levers. I've had my car for nearly 1.5 years now and I still have to look down at the steering wheel to make sure I have the right button.
    My '08's mirrors fold down when in reverse was a feature I had to turn on when I got the car, makes backing into any spot perfect on the first try. Same with the ez exit has to be enabled via the DIC. Steering buttons seem fine to me I find them easily and I like how flush they sit on the steering wheel.

Now for me would be the lack of usuable cubby holes and just general cabin storage. Oh and the creaky seats...

Quote Originally Posted by OMG

My '08's mirrors fold down when in reverse was a feature I had to turn on when I got the car. Same with the ez exit has to be enabled via the DIC. Steering buttons seem fine to me I find them easily and I like how flush they sit on the steering wheel.

Now for me would be the lack of usuable cubby holes and just general cabin storage. Oh and the creaky seats...
    The tilt mirrors were discontinued in later models.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

I'd have to agree with most of what rspreng said, but would add a couple additional observations. It would be nice if the mirrors folded downwards when backing up. It's nice to avoid curb rash and just generally how close you are to your surroundings. I would also note that I followed the directions and have put 30gb of music on my HDD. Admittedly, it was slow by putting in 200 CDs of music but it got the job done. While a thumb drive would have been much faster, I never could find a way to organize it the way I like. Don't know of a car that has separate fans. I'm sure they exist but I'm also sure the price would be high. And I also have yellow lines in my backup camera so I'm not sure what is going on in your car.

A couple other things since suggestions are being offered. Steering wheel that automatically goes to the highest position when turning the car off for easy exit and then automatically back to its position after turning the vehicle on. One touch rear seat entry (for the coupes this should be a must). Simpler layout for the steering wheel buttons i.e., less of them with possible dials or levers. I've had my car for nearly 1.5 years now and I still have to look down at the steering wheel to make sure I have the right button. It should be able to be done by feel alone so that one doesn't have to take your eyes off the road. Cupholders in the doors should be an inexpensive fix. And the last thing I can think of is those damn trunk arms. To me, and only IMHO, not having hidden trunk arms is what makes the CTS looks cheap. Not raggin. The CTS is still the best car out there for the money, but NO CAR is 100% perfect. I can live with 98% perfect and be VERY happy.
    Note: With power tilt steering, the steeering wheel does go up when seats go rearward on easy exit setting - an option

And bring back heated washer for windshield and lights. AlphaTherm can provide equipment.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

To me, and only IMHO, not having hidden trunk arms is what makes the CTS looks cheap.
    Are you referring to the hyd struts being visible when you have the trunk open ?

Quote Originally Posted by 99flhr

Are you referring to the hyd struts being visible when you have the trunk open ?
    The coupe doesn't have the struts. It has the macaroni elbow arms.

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

^ Thanks

----------

My could have /should have, is a version with the N/A 5.3L SBC V-8. Same external architecture as the V engine, an easy drop-in.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

For a sport sedan and coupe; I'd like to add heads up display (HUD).

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

I for the life of me figure out wht they used those hinges on the trunk and not the pistons the sedan has. When I first got the car I had to go away, (I had the sedan prior to this car), loaded up the trunk and couldn't close it. Had to take everything out and reposition it. It was ridiculous how little usable room there actually was because of those hinges.

The front seats should have a quick forward position for access to the back seat.

I had a STS and you could set the seat and steering wheel exit position to exactly where you wanted it. When I got the sedan I was suprised that they went to the one position only exit position. Why go backwards with technology? In the sedan I actually had to turn the exit feature off because it was more uncomfortable getting out from the exit position than the driving position. In my coupe at least I can use it but it's not where I would prefer it. It just irritates me that they had it perfect and screwed it up.

As far as backing up, I notice a lot of cars have sensors on the side of the bumpers to catch cars approaching better.

So,HGK2, thats my 2 cents worth on your post. Some people might say we're nitpicking but you're right, if you say something maybe things can change for the better. Sometimes a person can be on the fence about 2 cars and a few of the little things decide the car they pick.

The gearshift should be lit up more. I think that there is a light in the roof that shines on it but if there is it doesn't do a very good job. On the plus side of that though I do like the gear you're in showing in the DIC so when I'm shifting manually I don't have to take my eyes away fron the windshield for long.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.