The little things cadillac could and should have done - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, The little things cadillac could and should have done in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Re: power folding mirrors. I agree it would be nice for the cool factor, but if you've ever (manually) folded ...
    BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Re: The little things cadillac could and should have done

Re: power folding mirrors. I agree it would be nice for the cool factor, but if you've ever (manually) folded the CTS mirrors in, they are so thick that doing so doesn't really save much space width-wise. But folding them does prevent someone from knocking it off, I suppose.

Re: back-up camera. Just be glad you have one. I got into a parking lot fender bender a few months ago because it's so damn hard to see out of the back of my car when coming out of a diagonal space and the '08s were not available with a camera.

Re: gear shift indicator. I am actually surprised by how many people complain about this. I agree with the poster above that I just go by "feel." But also agree that it wouldn't kill Caddy to just wire a bulb in there.

Finally, one thing that I think is missing, that they should have definitely added during the cars run, is side repeat markers in the sideview mirrors. Side turn signal repeaters are required in Europe, and I think they should also be required in the U.S. They definitely increase safety, especially when driving on the freeway.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI

Automatic cruise control like I have on my "lowly" Ford Edge.

Regarding the driving lights - I upgraded to these: http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produc...rstar-zxe.aspx with some success.

angelbones is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe (formerly)

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    For a sport sedan and coupe; I'd like to add heads up display (HUD).
    I've mentioned before that I wish this had the HUD too. I was just trying to limit my response to issues that are presently in the coupe. If you want to start talking wish list, we'll have to start a whole new thread.

Black'10CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '08 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '00 STS

HUD is the one thing I really feel is missing from these cars.

Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Black'10CTS4 View Post
    What's really hard to grasp about this omission is the fact that GM has been putting them in higher end Buicks for years.

Bandit1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by Xav8tor View Post
    What's really hard to grasp about this omission is the fact that GM has been putting them in higher end Buicks for years.
    I agree. Should have been offered day one of the second generation CTS.

Black'10CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '08 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '00 STS

Exactly, my father had a '97 Pontiac Bonneville with HUD. That was over 15 years ago!

ultimate_ed is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS

One thing I've come to "appreciate" the longer I've owned my CTS is just how much "old-GM" bean counting went into this car. Remember, this car launched in 2008 with about a $33,000 base price. I think they put a lot of money into the performance side with all the Nurbergring testing. But, in order to hit that "5 series size for a 3 series price", a lot of things that would be expected just didn't make it and I definitely think the build quality suffered. It didn't take many years on my for the rattles, squeaks, and creeks to start making themselves known.

Probably the biggest disappointment is how GM (again) let the design pretty much rot on the vine after releasing it in 2007. Aside from a few things like Bluetooth (which my 09 thankfully has) and an available backup camera, there seems to be very little improvement and investment made in our CTS's design during it's run.

Hopefully, the new group of Cadillacs and the upcoming CTS in particular really deliver the promise of no compromise luxury cars that Cadillac should be building.

smooth_ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 CTS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Black'10CTS4 View Post
    There's a Garmin coming out that is a HUD. I just saw it on cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...ur-windshield/

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Quote Originally Posted by smooth_ride View Post
    There's a Garmin coming out that is a HUD. I just saw it on cnet http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7...ur-windshield/

That's pretty cool but it syncs with your phone and just looks out of place espeically if you have the brown dash like I do.

typo681 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I wish the CTS had Push-button start rather than that weird knob.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by typo681
    The issue is that there are lower trim level CTS models that use a key and as a result they created the knob for ease of manufacturing. No need for two different steering columns. My previous car was an Acura RL that had keyless ignition but was sold overseas with a traditional key and they did the same as Cadillac.

My son has a 2009 Mazda 6, but it's the top of the line Grand Touring S model that comes loaded including keyless start. Mazda went a different route. They put a plug over the spot on the steering column where the keyed ignition would be, and installed a push button start on the center stack.

Not sure which one looks more like a retrofit, I am leaning towards the Mazda approach looking more like they retrofitted the push button start as an after thought.

Once the entire model line up goes keyless (like the ATS) you then see the push start consistently. I believe the new CTS will be the same.

Similar thing with our BMW X5. It has a push button start, but the lower trim levels require that you insert the key fob into this slot on the dash. Seems goofy that you have to do that, but it also charges the battery in the fob. Our X5 came with the comfort package that has the touch sensitive doors handles and does not require that you insert the fob in the slot to start the car, but it still has the slot.

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by typo681 View Post
    Call me crazy but I actually don't mind the approach Caddy took in the CTS. I like the feel of cranking the engine in a car, and with the CTS you don't have to bother inserting the key. Push button starts to me feel like you're turning on an appliance and not starting a car. But that's just me...
    HurstGN likes this.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

I'm with BreakingThrough on this one.

I grew up with a key. I've owned 18 cars over the years, they all had a key. With all those years of experience I know where off/run/accessory and start are with a key. Some of these new push button ones you need to push a button, face north, hit a button again, twirl a dead chicken over your head counterclockwise, face south, then swear 3 times because you missed accessory and the car started anyways. Ok, it isn't that bad, but you sometimes have to make some gyrations to get a single button to do multiple things. I like the implementation, and I call it "The Romper Room Key". It kinda reminds me of the big keys on a baby rattle at times, hence the nickname. It's all personal preference, and if a Romper Room key turns you off from buying a car because you have to push a button to start a car.....well, you have greater issues to deal with Mr. Monk.

Yea, I'm old, and my can's old. Boogity Boogity.
    BreakingThrough likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.