Cadillac Transmissions Suck - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Transmissions Suck in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by tinman This should be my final followup for this thread. I received a letter from Cadillac today. ...
    gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    This should be my final followup for this thread.

I received a letter from Cadillac today. It is a "Component Coverage Letter" where Cadillac has stepped up to the plate (it is All-Star time, isn't it?). They will cover my Transmission and associated items pertaining to the transmission itself up to 111,000 miles or 4 years. It is transferable to any other owner of this vehicle.

They have done the right thing (finally). I do appreciate that.
    That is good news.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Cadillac Transmissions Suck

just fyi (and i hate to sound like i'm being a debbie downer here but...)

GM engines and transmissions and transfer cases have a 36 month, 100,000 mile warranty on them when installed by a dealer (parts and labor... parts only when not installed by a dealer)

just an fyi

i know that this applies to out-of-warranty purchases but it should also apply to in-warranty purchases also
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Thanks, Debbie.

Then why wasn't GM magnanimous and give me the 100k? Ahh, the beauty of GM. wtf

i think warranty repairs are only covered until the warranty is up but under certain circumstances (say you had a part installed a few months ago and now it's failed and your b2b just expired) there's a case to cover the part

in this case it seems like they are giving you the customer pay warranty for a part that GM paid for and normally would only be covered under the b2b
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Whatever, at this point.

I have a Latin saying that is hanging in my office. It reads, "Illegitemar Non Carborundum".

Translated, the idiom means, "Don't let the bastards grind you down".

At this point, they have. I just want my car back, which I have, as I enjoy driving it.

Still, whatever the warranty, I do appreciate having a little extra time on it. I'm not going to stress out any more than I have already. Life's too short.

good attitude to have

enjoy

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I bet it's more money for the dealer to rebuild rather than replace. At least until you screw it up and have to do it a second time on the house.

I completely agree. Based on the time that they had my car in the shop for the "rebuild" which was about 10 days each time vs. the installation of a "new" transmission which was 4 days you are absolutely correcto mundo, C"T"ess.

CTSCHICK is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0 Rwd Performance Radiant Silver

They probably spent less time actually working on your car than waiting for the parts and ect during those 10 days.
    The thing is there is 2 separate guides for the work 1 for warranty and good will repairs and the other for out of warranty.
    With the warranty repairs paying for less time and $

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess
    I bet it's more money for the dealer to rebuild rather than replace. At least until you screw it up and have to do it a second time on the house.
    No doubt.

Tell you a story.

Several years ago my wife got into a small fender bender that crunched the right front fender. I took it to my insurance company's (who also happened to be my employer) preferred shop. When I talked to the body shop guy I asked if they were going to replace the fender since it was pretty banged up. The guy said, "no, we're going to try and repair it". I wasn't feeling real good about that since I had doubts that fender would ever look right. So I go back to work and talk to a co-worker who used to be an adjuster.

She tells me to call the adjuster who was handling my claim and get approval to get the fender replaced. She went on to say that it is a common scam by body shops. They'll bang on the fender for several hours charging the insurance company and then they'll call the adjuster and say the fender can't be saved and ultimately getting approval to replace it. Now they're getting paid for both, trying to repair the fender and then ultimately replacing it.

So if they would have replaced the fender they wouldn't have been able to charge to bang on the fender. So I go to the body shop and tell the manger that I got approval to replace the fender.

It was pretty obvious my co-worker was right because that manager was PI$$ED.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Maybe things are done differently here in California. The few times I've had minor damage to one of my cars -- a scraped side panel after an encounter with a parking lot pillar and a trunk that was gouged when the garage door came down on it -- the adjustor was very specific about what work was authorized and the amount the insurance company would pay to do it before I took the car to one of the shops that was under contract with the insurance company to do the work prescribed for the estimated amount. The shops were all top-notch and did excellent work. In both cases, the damaged body parts were replaced, and the paint was a perfect match to the rest of the car. It was my understanding that if the shop believed additional work was necessary, it was up to them to get the adjustor to agree to any changes in the work order. As a result, there was no f***ing around and the repairs were completed quickly and competently.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge
    Maybe things are done differently here in California. The few times I've had minor damage to one of my cars -- a scraped side panel after an encounter with a parking lot pillar and a trunk that was gouged when the garage door came down on it -- the adjustor was very specific about what work was authorized and the amount the insurance company would pay to do it before I took the car to one of the shops that was under contract with the insurance company to do the work prescribed for the estimated amount. The shops were all top-notch and did excellent work. In both cases, the damaged body parts were replaced, and the paint was a perfect match to the rest of the car. It was my understanding that if the shop believed additional work was necessary, it was up to them to get the adjustor to agree to any changes in the work order. As a result, there was no f***ing around and the repairs were completed quickly and competently.
    That's true when an adjuster has looked at the car first, but the whole purpose of insurance companies having preferred shops is that they don't have to send adjusters.

The preferred shop has a negotiated rate, should be accredited and they should offer a lifetime warranty. This creates a hassle free experience for the customer. Just take your car there, it's fixed, no paperwork and a lifetime warranty.

The benefit for the insurance company is that they don't need to send adjusters, they have negotiated agreements and contained costs and hopefully the customer is happy.

Now in my case the shop most likely said, we can try to repair it. Since no adjuster ever saw it, there is no oversight. After charging a few hours if labor they come back and say, "the fender just won't look right and we're going to have to replace it".

As a customer it is transparent to me. The car will look get repaired the way I wanted it, but the insurance company gets billed for a few extra hours of labor that they should have not had to pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    The car will look get repaired the way I wanted it, but the insurance company gets billed for a few extra hours of labor that they should have not had to pay for.
    And we all end up paying for scammers.
    gohawks63 likes this.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I've been driving in California for over 50 years, have had policies with several major insurance companies (including Hartford, Allstate, 20th Century, and Safeco) and I have never heard of such an arrangement in this state. Either you take your car to the insurance company's offices and have the adjustor look at it, or you leave your car with the repair shop and the adjustor goes there. I'm unaware of any work ever having been done on any of my cars or the cars of any of my family or friends without the adjustor first looking at the damage and approving the work. IMHO, it would be insane for any insurance company to simply trust the repair shop to do only the work needed.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    And we all end up paying for scammers.
    That's my point. Most customers don't care, but I worked for the insurance company and I knew to ask around.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    I've been driving in California for over 50 years, have had policies with several major insurance companies (including Hartford, Allstate, 20th Century, and Safeco) and I have never heard of such an arrangement in this state. Either you take your car to the insurance company's offices and have the adjustor look at it, or you leave your car with the repair shop and the adjustor goes there. I'm unaware of any work ever having been done on any of my cars or the cars of any of my family or friends without the adjustor first looking at the damage and approving the work. IMHO, it would be insane for any insurance company to simply trust the repair shop to do only the work needed.
    Sometimes they will go look at it, other times they just want the shop to FAX them the estimate to a "desk" adjuster who will look at it to see if it looks consistent with the facts of the claim.

I have also had situations where the adjuster goes to inspect it at the facility. It just depends.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.