Cadillac Transmissions Suck - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Cadillac Transmissions Suck in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by tinman My rationale on the reman tran is that those who rebuild transmissions do it every day ...
    OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Re: Cadillac Transmissions Suck

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    My rationale on the reman tran is that those who rebuild transmissions do it every day all day. Like you said, OMG, it wasn't rebuilt by a monkey who did it for 2 or 3 times in his lifetime
    Now let's just hope he bolted it back together correctly along with the trans lines and all that. :willy:

KeYz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Sls, 2008 Cadillac Cts

wow, hope everything works out for you man. customer service is so bad these days and seems to go downhill at every turn. i had a good trust worthy mechanic but sadly he passed away years ago. i'm still looking to find one who won't screw me sideways.

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Quote Originally Posted by Tbbt View Post
    Factory reman Transmissions are as good as new ones. They replace all wear parts and bearings, etc. They also have the equipment to fully test is before it's shipped to a dealer. As stated above, dealer techs are not rebuilding trans on a daily basis and do not have the equipment to fully test it prior to re-installing it in your car!

Marv
    If they do not have the expertise and test equipment why do they do it?

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    If they do not have the expertise and test equipment why do they do it?
    Auto manufacturers have to approve warranty repairs over XXX dollars (I don't know the amount for Cadillac). Because it costs less to repair a transmission than furnish a factory re-manufactured one, guess what happens? If the dealer doesn't get approval for a repair and does the work, the dealer eats the cost of the repairs.

In the old days, manufacturers had field reps that would visit dealerships to approve these high dollar repairs. Today they've mostly been eliminated due to the costs. I used to be one many years ago.

Marv

Pelican Pete is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Cadillac CTS Sedan 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    And so does Claude Nolan Cadillac in Jacksonville, Florida. They do not know how to fix a transmission - not once, not twice. Strike three, you're out.

And to GM Customer No-Service, for crying out loud, what does it take to get a NEW transmission? You can't repair this one once OR twice. Why do I have to put up with this gross incompetence?

And I should call the tow truck? And I should get my own ride to the dealer? And I am the one who should be totally inconvenienced because of your poor repair work? Impressive responses from the Service Manager at Claude Nolan Cadillac in Jacksonville.

Hi tinman,

I've got a 2011 CTS and live on Amelia Island. This may not help you because of your location, but I took my CTS to Ron Anderson Buick on A1A between Yulee and Fernandina for warranty work on the climate control system. They did a good job...fixed the problem and kept me informed.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by Pelican Pete View Post
    Hi tinman,

I've got a 2011 CTS and live on Amelia Island. This may not help you because of your location, but I took my CTS to Ron Anderson Buick on A1A between Yulee and Fernandina for warranty work on the climate control system. They did a good job...fixed the problem and kept me informed.
    I appreciate your input, PelicanPete. I am going to try the new Fields Cadillac off I-95 and SR 16 by the Outlet Mall in St. Augustine. I live in the Beaches area and that would be the most convenient dealer after Claude NOlan Cadillac. I will keep Ron Anderson in mind, however. Thank you.

----------

Auto manufacturers have to approve warranty repairs over XXX dollars (I don't know the amount for Cadillac). Because it costs less to repair a transmission than furnish a factory re-manufactured one, guess what happens? If the dealer doesn't get approval for a repair and does the work, the dealer eats the cost of the repairs.

Marv
    Exactly what I was told, Marv. Exactly.

MoFex is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

In the old days, manufacturers had field reps that would visit dealerships to approve these high dollar repairs. Today they've mostly been eliminated due to the costs. I used to be one many years ago.

Marv
    I understand what you are saying, still what I do not get is why they attempt repairs if they do not have the skills nor test equipment required?

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    I understand what you are saying, still what I do not get is why they attempt repairs if they do not have the skills nor test equipment required?
    Obviously, they thought the tech could do the job. Unfortunately for tinman, they were wrong (twice)!

For an uneducated guess, since Cadillac will not allow a "newly remanufactured" transmission to be installed on the first or second try because the cost of the transmission (or insert your part/repair name here), then the dealer has no choice but to throw labor at it. Maybe if you throw enough dog poop on the wall it will stick. Translated, maybe if you throw enough time at it, according to the manual, you might get it repaired correctly.correctly.correctly.

Put your best mechanic on it who has some cognitive skills and hope the poor bastard who owns the car doesn't have it towed back in. Meanwhile, if you beat the hours in the manual so you actually make a profit on it, whether or not you know wtf you are doing, then hooray! The dealer makes money.

One man's opinion.

NYDockingPilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    This is why I lease.
    The only marquee I'd consider actually buying, would probably be Lexus. I absolutely love my CTS and think it is the nicest car on the road by a long shot, but I'd still only lease it. Relieves a lot of worry and stress for me.

I received a follow up call from someone at "GM Executive Headquarters" (who I think is a third party service). Regardless, they asked me, "How was my dealer"? Since I had my car in there numerous times, what "extras" did they throw at me?

My answer was, "They went out of their way to do nothing".

He went, "Oh".

I added, "Remember we are here in Florida. Their customer lounge doesn't even offer a bottle of water. You have to find a small styrofoam cup and get a drink of tap water". I then hear him typing.

He offered this: GM will pay one car payment for me or they will offer some type of "Component Coverage Letter".

I own my car outright, so I took the Letter. I will see what that actually amounts to, if anything, but at least they tried to make amends. When I receive this Letter I will follow up.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Well I hope that is the end of your troubles if you decide to keep her!

Thank you, OMG. Me too. I do love my car, but if the right thing came along then I would sell her. Still thinking of my Dads Lexus 460 as a Daily Driver and getting a new Porsche Cayman S. All it takes is money, a capitalist tool that I don't have enough of. As we all know, we never have enough tools!

NYDockingPilot is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Yea some Cadillac dealers like McGuires in Newton NJ is something you would expect to be selling used Yugos. A dump.
    But Royal Cadillac not too far and where I bought is what a Cadillac dealership should be like.

This should be my final followup for this thread.

I received a letter from Cadillac today. It is a "Component Coverage Letter" where Cadillac has stepped up to the plate (it is All-Star time, isn't it?). They will cover my Transmission and associated items pertaining to the transmission itself up to 111,000 miles or 4 years. It is transferable to any other owner of this vehicle.

They have done the right thing (finally). I do appreciate that.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.