2011 CTS Onstar Destination from App (Wrong Destination)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2011 CTS Onstar Destination from App (Wrong Destination) in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Every single time I search for a destination on my phone and send it to my Nav, or have Onstar ...
    phathead785 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1996 Cadillac Deville, 2004 Cadillac DTS, 2011 CTS AWD Coupe

2011 CTS Onstar Destination from App (Wrong Destination)

Every single time I search for a destination on my phone and send it to my Nav, or have Onstar send a destination to my Nav, it doesnt bring me there! It will have the same address, but I think it goes by the GPS coordinates. Its usually about 5 miles off. Does anyone else have this issue? Its frustrating.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    If it can't find the address, you will get a pop up asking do you want to send to coordinates. I have never had a problem getting to a location.

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2011 CTS Onstar Destination from App (Wrong Destination)

Quote Originally Posted by phathead785 View Post
    Every single time I search for a destination on my phone and send it to my Nav, or have Onstar send a destination to my Nav, it doesnt bring me there! It will have the same address, but I think it goes by the GPS coordinates. Its usually about 5 miles off. Does anyone else have this issue? Its frustrating.

Thanks!
    phathead785,

You may need to have your location updated. OnStar is always updating our mapping systems to provide the most up to date directions, press the OnStar button and let us know you'd like to update your location. If you have the in-dash NAV, it has its own individual mapping system. You can check for your vehicles NAV updates here: www.gmnavdisc.com. Hope this helps!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Jessica,

I have maps updated to 2011, I don't believe this is the problem. Are you saying I should call OnStar so they can calibrate my current location?

Thank you

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

yes, they will ping your car and locate it. That generally cures the problem. It appears that sometimes a car will simply falls off the grid. I had it happen one time in my 2010 and it took on* about two minutes and the problem was gone and never came back.

phathead785,

C "T" ess is correct. When connected to an OnStar advisor through the vehicle, location settings can be updated with any new/updated server information. OnStar is constantly updating our systems to provide the most accurate information available.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

It's worked OK for me.

They have updated my location and it has not fixed it. Whenever I get the notification that the "address could not be found, going by GPS coordinates" it is always very very wrong. I am so frustrated with this onstar crap.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I live in Hermosa Beach, California. Adjacent to Hermosa Beach is another city called Manhattan Beach. Each has its own unique zip code.

When we first moved here, I entered our new home address into the GPS on the car I had at the time, a 2004 E55. The first time I tested it, it took me to the same house number and street name in Manhattan Beach (both cities have a street with the same name). I fixed that by setting my home address from the map when I was in my driveway. I had to do the same thing on my 2006 CLS. I didn't think much of it, although now and then pizzas would be sent to Manhattan Beach, tradesmen would go there instead of Hermosa Beach, etc.

One night I called the cops about a problem across the street from our home. The dispatcher called me back a couple of minutes later and asked if I was in Manhattan Beach. I confirmed that we were in Hermosa, and she said that our street address came up on the 911 system as Manhattan Beach. She manually entered the correct location and the cops found us. However, she warned me that it could be a problem if we needed the cops, fire department, or paramedics in the future.

The next day I called the Police Chief, whom I knew, and explained what was happening. He said he would have someone look into it. A few days later I got a call from a lieutenant who was in charge of such things, and he said they had determined that our home address had been entered incorrectly in the big database in the sky. I don't know how the locations are determined, but our specific house number and street name were shown as being in Manhattan Beach rather than Hermosa Beach. He said our neighbors up and down the street were correctly shown as being in Hermosa, and apparently the house with the same number and street name in Manhattan Beach was correctly listed as being in that city. He said our listing in the database had been corrected, and since then entering the address in the CTS's NAV does find the correct house.

However, I noticed yesterday when I was trying to enter a location and send it to my car from my iPhone 5, the Bing map in the On Star app still showed my home as being in Manhattan Beach. I guess sometimes it's best to use coordinates rather than street addresses.

Quote Originally Posted by phathead785 View Post
    They have updated my location and it has not fixed it. Whenever I get the notification that the "address could not be found, going by GPS coordinates" it is always very very wrong. I am so frustrated with this onstar crap.
    phathead785,

I'd be happy to look into this for you and see what I can do to assist. Can you please PM me with your account information? Thanks, hope to hear from you soon.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.