Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2011 CTS Onstar Destination from App (Wrong Destination)

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  OnStar Advisor 
#1 ·
Every single time I search for a destination on my phone and send it to my Nav, or have Onstar send a destination to my Nav, it doesnt bring me there! It will have the same address, but I think it goes by the GPS coordinates. Its usually about 5 miles off. Does anyone else have this issue? Its frustrating.

Thanks!

#3 ·
phathead785,

You may need to have your location updated. OnStar is always updating our mapping systems to provide the most up to date directions, press the OnStar button and let us know you'd like to update your location. If you have the in-dash NAV, it has its own individual mapping system. You can check for your vehicles NAV updates here: www.gmnavdisc.com. Hope this helps!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

#6 ·
phathead785,

C "T" ess is correct. When connected to an OnStar advisor through the vehicle, location settings can be updated with any new/updated server information. OnStar is constantly updating our systems to provide the most accurate information available.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

#9 ·
I live in Hermosa Beach, California. Adjacent to Hermosa Beach is another city called Manhattan Beach. Each has its own unique zip code.

When we first moved here, I entered our new home address into the GPS on the car I had at the time, a 2004 E55. The first time I tested it, it took me to the same house number and street name in Manhattan Beach (both cities have a street with the same name). I fixed that by setting my home address from the map when I was in my driveway. I had to do the same thing on my 2006 CLS. I didn't think much of it, although now and then pizzas would be sent to Manhattan Beach, tradesmen would go there instead of Hermosa Beach, etc.

One night I called the cops about a problem across the street from our home. The dispatcher called me back a couple of minutes later and asked if I was in Manhattan Beach. I confirmed that we were in Hermosa, and she said that our street address came up on the 911 system as Manhattan Beach. She manually entered the correct location and the cops found us. However, she warned me that it could be a problem if we needed the cops, fire department, or paramedics in the future.

The next day I called the Police Chief, whom I knew, and explained what was happening. He said he would have someone look into it. A few days later I got a call from a lieutenant who was in charge of such things, and he said they had determined that our home address had been entered incorrectly in the big database in the sky. I don't know how the locations are determined, but our specific house number and street name were shown as being in Manhattan Beach rather than Hermosa Beach. He said our neighbors up and down the street were correctly shown as being in Hermosa, and apparently the house with the same number and street name in Manhattan Beach was correctly listed as being in that city. He said our listing in the database had been corrected, and since then entering the address in the CTS's NAV does find the correct house.

However, I noticed yesterday when I was trying to enter a location and send it to my car from my iPhone 5, the Bing map in the On Star app still showed my home as being in Manhattan Beach. I guess sometimes it's best to use coordinates rather than street addresses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.