Directional tires
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Directional tires in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have an 2011 CTS AWD and is it true that you cant rotate this tires being the straight factory ...
    usslasalle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Directional tires

I have an 2011 CTS AWD and is it true that you cant rotate this tires being the straight factory tires that came with car and they're directional tires.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Directional tires

Not sure what tires you have, but if they are directional they should have an arrow showing the rotation. If they are directional they can only go from the front to the rear and vice-versa, no X pattern like the old days.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Dont know of any CTS's with directional Michelins. If you have a coupe of course you can only rotate from side to side.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    Dont know of any CTS's with directional Michelins. If you have a coupe of course you can only rotate from side to side.
    Side to side? Or front to back? If they are directional then it is only front to back/back to front, never side to side. If they are not directional then any which way but loose!

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman

Side to side? Or front to back? If they are directional then it is only front to back/back to front, never side to side. If they are not directional then any which way but loose!
    The coupe has staggered tires. Rear wheels wider than the front.

So for the coupe if you don't have directional tires (like the OEM Michelins) you can only go side to side. If you replaced them with directional tires you can't rotate them at all.

usslasalle is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

I have the 0EM mich tires that came with it..back is wider then the front..so that being said you can't rotate them

00 ss is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

You can if you have them dismounted, flipped over and switch sides. I'm not recommending this, just saying it's possible.

Oz Sr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS Coupe -AWD

My 2013 Coupe came with:
    Michelin-Pilor HX MXM4 Directional Tires size -P235/50R18" on the front & P265/45R18" on the rear... no rotating here.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by Oz Sr View Post
    My 2013 Coupe came with:
    Michelin-Pilor HX MXM4 Directional Tires size -P235/50R18" on the front & P265/45R18" on the rear... no rotating here.
    Oz Sr, that's interesting. On your '13 Coupe you have a different/specific Michelin part number tire at every wheel. Are replacement tires for your car more pricey than the regular bi-directional tires (size for size)?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

RAB, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you say that each tire on a 2013 coupe has a different/specific part number. They may have different identifiers as required by Fed Law which relates the tire to each particular car (due to massive tire recalls in recent years) but a tire is a tire.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

C "T" ess, I get what you're saying about different identifiers on tires... but what I was getting at related to what Oz Sr stated his 2013 Coupe came with, that being Michelin-Pilot HX MXM4 directional Tires, size P235/50R18" on the front and size P265/45R18" on the rear, where none of his tires can be rotated. This essentially means:

-The front left directional P235/50R18 tire, designed to turn counter-clockwise when the car is going forward, designates a given Michelin model type & part number.
    -The front right directional P235/50R18 tire, designed to turn clockwise when the car is going forward, designates a different Michelin model type & part number.
    -The rear left directional P265/45R18 tire, designed to turn counter-clockwise when the car is going forward, designates a different Michelin model type & part number.
    -The rear right directional P265/45R18 tire, designed to turn clockwise when the car is going forward, designates a different Michelin model type & part number.

When I need to buy new 19" all-season non-directional OE tires for my '11 CTS4 Sedan I'll be buying 4 identical tires, likely at preferred pricing for purchasing 4 of them. When Oz Sr and others buy new tires for their cars they will need to buy 4 different model type/part number directional tires. I was thinking there could be a price penalty for single tire purchases of specific size/model directional tires, where each of the 4 tires being different from the other. I guess another concern I'd have is any-day nationwide availability of a given size directional tire, and that in itself could cause the price to be higher.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    RAB:

I think you are incorrect. You just flip the tire when mounting the tire on the rim, so the direction coincides when mounting on the left or the right side of the vehicle. He would only need two different sets of tires, a set for the front an another for the rear.

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
    Quote Originally Posted by dreiloft
    RAB:

I think you are incorrect. You just flip the tire when mounting the tire on the rim, so the direction coincides when mounting on the left or the right side of the vehicle. He would only need two different sets of tires, a set for the front an another for the rear.
    I don't think so. Say your left tire has tread pattern ABCDE with the arrow pointing forward. If you flip the tire when mounted, wouldn't the arrow point the other way, and the tread pattern now be EDCBA? If the tread pattern was symmetrical say ABCBA, then you could buy pairs

Does that sound right? It's tough to visualize, I just did it with a water bottle top and put an arrow and simulated tread pattern and didn't get it to match up by just flipping it

al williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '11 coupe-- manual shift-- 1 of 65 built.

I can't find any indication that the Michelin-Pilot HX MXM4 is directional, even on the Michelin web site. There are many statements that they are NOT directional. Directional tires have two triangles on the sidewall pointing in the direction that the tire is to rotate. If there are no triangles, the tire is not directional. There are many assymetrical tires (the two sides of the tread are different) that are marked which side should of the tire should be out when mounted. Those are not directional unless they also have arrows marking the direction of rotation.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Quote Originally Posted by arw1510

I don't think so. Say your left tire has tread pattern ABCDE with the arrow pointing forward. If you flip the tire when mounted, wouldn't the arrow point the other way, and the tread pattern now be EDCBA? If the tread pattern was symmetrical say ABCBA, then you could buy pairs

Does that sound right? It's tough to visualize, I just did it with a water bottle top and put an arrow and simulated tread pattern and didn't get it to match up by just flipping it
    I googled this after I posted my last post.

A directional (also called a unidirectional) tread pattern is designed to roll in only one direction. It features lateral grooves on both sides of the tire’s centerline that point in the same direction and result in v-shaped tread blocks. These grooves increase hydroplaning resistance at high speeds by pumping water more efficiently through the tread pattern. Unless they're dismounted and remounted on their wheels to accommodate use on the other side of the vehicle, directional tires are to be installed

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.