Onstar APP destination download to NAV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Onstar APP destination download to NAV in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Has anyone had some recent instances where after running the Onstar app and selecting a destination to download, and then ...
    jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Onstar APP destination download to NAV

Has anyone had some recent instances where after running the Onstar app and selecting a destination to download, and then chosen your NAV system, failed to get any acknowledgement of the pending download or that the destination has been downloaded after starting your car?
    I have tried several times to download and all failed. Symptoms were that my car was sitting in driveway or small garage. What I mean by small garage besides its size, is that there are no significant blocking of signals to and from the car while in the garage. In any event, for testing purposes, the failure to download also occurred while car was outside. Common symptom was that download request was sent a day or more before the car was started. But as described below, final tests were done and the car was started immediately with no download.
    My last test, using the same dest, was tested with car in driveway and immmediately after successfully completing the download, I went outside and started the car. Nothing happened. NADA. In the past I have seen downloads take some time to complete or start - say after driving several miles before prompts to accept the download occurred.
    In some cases where downloads completed, no action on my part was needed. Destination immediately appeared on the NAV screen where you can enter the name or icon, etc., for the dest. No ACCEPT screen appeared prior to download.
    Finally, with the car running and me in it running the Onstar app, I was finally able to download the destination that had failed previously several times. Of course with the download working in this fashion it makes the download needless. I could just as easily entered the dest info on the NAV.
    I have an iPhone 4S with the latest recent enahancement updates that have been distributed for Onstar. Failures occurred before and after the app changes.
    I do have D&C plan although for a brief time I had S&S which prevented any use of the NAV feature with the app.
    Before reporting - just wanted to check for anyone having similar issues with the Onstar app. Havent tried the web mapping apps yet which I believe use eNav under Virtual Advisor.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: Onstar APP destination download to NAV

Has happened before. Ask On* to ping your car and once your location is verified the problem goes away but I don't know why.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Yes it has happened to myself also on occasion. The reason it happens is because there is no GPS connection. If there is no GPS connection it will show on the nav screen in the upper right hand conner, GPS with a line through it will appear.

So you are saying that when I start the car my GPS is not active - slash thru GPS icon? Sometimes as I said it works being in same location - and with car running.

For Onstar advisor on forum - suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller
    So you are saying that when I start the car my GPS is not active - slash thru GPS icon? Sometimes as I said it works being in same location - and with car running.

Yes, sometimes I've noticed that it takes time to acquire a signal and sometimes it doesn't, this is in my driveway. I have sent and address from my phone or ipad and it is there right away when I started the car and other times I have sat in my driveway for about a minute or so till it appeared.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by jghiller
    Has anyone had some recent instances where after running the Onstar app and selecting a destination to download, and then chosen your NAV system, failed to get any acknowledgement of the pending download or that the destination has been downloaded after starting your car?
    I have tried several times to download and all failed. Symptoms were that my car was sitting in driveway or small garage. What I mean by small garage besides its size, is that there are no significant blocking of signals to and from the car while in the garage. In any event, for testing purposes, the failure to download also occurred while car was outside. Common symptom was that download request was sent a day or more before the car was started. But as described below, final tests were done and the car was started immediately with no download.
    My last test, using the same dest, was tested with car in driveway and immmediately after successfully completing the download, I went outside and started the car. Nothing happened. NADA. In the past I have seen downloads take some time to complete or start - say after driving several miles before prompts to accept the download occurred.
    In some cases where downloads completed, no action on my part was needed. Destination immediately appeared on the NAV screen where you can enter the name or icon, etc., for the dest. No ACCEPT screen appeared prior to download.
    Finally, with the car running and me in it running the Onstar app, I was finally able to download the destination that had failed previously several times. Of course with the download working in this fashion it makes the download needless. I could just as easily entered the dest info on the NAV.
    I have an iPhone 4S with the latest recent enahancement updates that have been distributed for Onstar. Failures occurred before and after the app changes.
    I do have D&C plan although for a brief time I had S&S which prevented any use of the NAV feature with the app.
    Before reporting - just wanted to check for anyone having similar issues with the Onstar app. Havent tried the web mapping apps yet which I believe use eNav under Virtual Advisor.
    I have had a couple of instances where I felt the download didn't work, but I'm not sure if it's because it was just taking too long or if it actually failed. I think in those cases where it didn't work it was times where I sent the destination several hours before I started the car. I would say it has worked for my 98% of the time.

What I do get more of is it coming up saying "Address not found, using GPS coordinates", which gets me there anyway.

Same here almost all the time, unless you key it manually.

OnStar Advisor is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post

jghiller,

Want to connect with you live so I can check your routing preference. Have you tired to send a destination to your vehicle using eNav? Do you experience the same issue? Please provide you contact detail via this form: http://bit.ly/10XAM43 and I will give you a call.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I ran into the same problem. Apparently (I say that because I'm not sure at this point) the car needs to 1) be running (or at least in accessory mode) and 2) not in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by OnStar Advisor View Post
    jghiller,

Want to connect with you live so I can check your routing preference. Have you tired to send a destination to your vehicle using eNav? Do you experience the same issue? Please provide you contact detail via this form: http://bit.ly/10XAM43 and I will give you a call.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
    Social Media Team
    Not using eNav - just sending route via Onstar app to NAV. I will check the link you sent for contact info.

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    Not using eNav - just sending route via Onstar app to NAV. I will check the link you sent for contact info.
    Jessica - can you please send me a PM and let me know what number you will be calling from. Like many, I get a lot of bad calls coming in on my cell so I dont answer calls I cant identify. Thanks.

It's been my impression, admittedly based on very little data (i.e., 2 or 3 times), that the OnStar app to NAV doesn't work unless the car is on (running or in accessory mode) -- it's never worked for me when the car is off, even though I get a "destination sent to your vehicle" message on the app, but it always works when I'm in the car. Not sure about that -- will test today.

Also, I don't think GPS connectivity has anything to do with it since OnStar communicates with the car via cellphone, as of course does my iPhone 5. Not sure about that, either.

Lastly, the app gives you two choices -- "send to turn-by-turn" or "send to in-dash NAV" -- be sure to select the latter.

gohawks63 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    It's been my impression, admittedly based on very little data (i.e., 2 or 3 times), that the OnStar app to NAV doesn't work unless the car is on (running or in accessory mode) -- it's never worked for me when the car is off, even though I get a "destination sent to your vehicle" message on the app, but it always works when I'm in the car. Not sure about that -- will test today.

Also, I don't think GPS connectivity has anything to do with it since OnStar communicates with the car via cellphone, as of course does my iPhone 5. Not sure about that, either.

Lastly, the app gives you two choices -- "send to turn-by-turn" or "send to in-dash NAV" -- be sure to select the latter.
    Not true about the car needing to run. I have often sent the destination just before leaving for work. The car is parked on the other end of the building and not running and the destination shows up.

The only times it hasn't worked for me is if a long amount of time has passed from the time I sent it to when I got to the car. I'm talking several hours.

I also had one time where it didn't wrk when the car was parked in my garage, but that was only once. It has worked other times in that situation.

Ah, well that's apparently my problem --I've been sending the location hours before I get in the car. I tried again just now and went immediately to the car and it worked -- but as often happens it can't find the street address (on a major boulevard nearby) and reverts to coordinates.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.