Front plate holder??
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hugo Stiglitz
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Front plate holder?? in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have had my 08 CTS4 now for about 18 months and have never had an issue with not having ...
    sandcracker21 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI

Front plate holder??

I have had my 08 CTS4 now for about 18 months and have never had an issue with not having a front plate in Chicago. Behold the last 10 days I have now gotten two expensive parking tickets because I refuse to drill into my front bumper or place an ugly huge bracket there.

Does anyone know how to rig a temporary setup for when I park? Or something else that wont be so ugly? Thanks in advance for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Re: Front plate holder??

You can be busted for not having a front plate while you're driving, too. They're essential to automated tolls, etc. Fines can be a lot stiffer than for parking. Why give the cops yet another reason to pull you over?

Hugo Stiglitz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS

You're lucky, I bought my 2010 CTS and the front plate bracket was already screwed in.
    And whatever dealer did it used large screws, the holes in my front bumper are 3/4" wide.

Check out these links for some front license plate options, they're hideaway front plates that can retract,
    but you could use it as an alternative mounting spot for your caddy.
    Unfortunately they work for me because if I take the plate bracket off there's 4 large ugly holes in my front bumper.

http://www.pfyc.com/GN1046.html

http://ls1tech.com/forums/multimedia...ate-hider.html

http://www.hidetheplate.com/

There's a lot of places online that had a version of this.
    Hope this helps,

- Justin
    Oz Sr likes this.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Before you do anything, check out the CTS-V forum. They have had lots of discussion about this very topic. Someone makes a plate holder that screws into the tow hook in front so you don't have those damn holes in your bumper.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

^ As info.. the tow hook female threaded anchor point integral with the front & rear bumper (found on all '08 & '09 cars) was removed on CTS production sometime during calendar year 2010. Some of the later build 2010 m-y CTS's may not be equipped with it, and all 2011-2013 m-y CTS's (built for North America) don't have it. This info was learned here in 2012.
    And I purchased a specialized tow hook in late 2011 from GM (for $50+) for my '11 CTS for what reason?

sandcracker21 - no, do not drill into your front bumper! You can apply the front LP bracket lower down (compared to the standard dealer application) using just 2 long cable ties. For it to work (using the factory supplied bracket) the bracket needs to go on upside down. The cable ties can be threaded through the openings in your lower grille. If you need any tips send me a PM.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Stiglitz View Post
    You're lucky, I bought my 2010 CTS and the front plate bracket was already screwed in.
    And whatever dealer did it used large screws, the holes in my front bumper are 3/4" wide.
    - Justin
    They use large rivets, that can be carefully drilled and leave 1/4 inch holes or hogged out like the damage you are describing. I drilled mine and made a bracket from sheet aluminum to reuse the holes, and at the same time center the plate on the bumper. The bracket is behind the plate and doesn't show. A picture is in my forum album.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.