2010 CTS engine noise at cold start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2010 CTS engine noise at cold start in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Anyone have any info on what to me sounds like an exhaust leak at startup that lasts about 20 seconds? ...
    motorhead81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

2010 CTS engine noise at cold start

Anyone have any info on what to me sounds like an exhaust leak at startup that lasts about 20 seconds? Once the RPM's drop from a cold start, the sound goes quiet. I took it to the dealer & they say it's the lack of oil getting to the timing chain at startup. Sure sounds like an exhaust leak to me that seals after 20 seconds as things heat up? Seems like a Caddilac should be a bit more refined than to sound like a rattling 4 bang'er for 20 seconds at cold start. You can't hear it from inside the cabin, but from outside it's a bit much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

Re: 2010 CTS engine noise at cold start

Did the dealer say that the lack of oil can cause damage at some point?

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

On my 2010 the direct injection is a little noisy at startup until things settle down a bit after the fuel system charges up.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

If it only lasts 20 seconds I wouldn't worry about it. As blankster says' a little noise on start up is to be expected. You shouldn't condemn the brand for this.

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

My 2010 CTS4 3.0L does the same thing, I little noisy for about 5 - 10 seconds then everything quiets right down. I guess my only concern would be that if it is an oil issue then parts, timing chain or whatever is making the noise might wear out prematurely because lack of oil. Hope not.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Have someone start up your car for you when cold. Climb under that baby and try to find the noise up close and personal. Don't have your wife do it if she knows your life insurance is paid up.

----------

http://http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-2013-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/312930-ticking-sound-3-6-again.html

btlfedcts is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Sedan, 2012 CTS Coupe

It's not an exhaust leak or a problem.

In order to meet some of the SULEV emissions regulations (especially FTP Bag 1 numbers) the vehicle has a high idle at cold start to help get the catalytic converters to light off. You should notice this with either of the DI 3.0 / 3.6L motors when they are started below a designated operating temperature (varies by calibration year and engine model.)

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

The oil drains to the sump when parked. Can`t argue with gravity
    Picked up by the pump and you definitely hear the difference after it makes a full circut
    The lifters and cam chain tensioners are now pressurized and the parts they control, quiet down

Just the way engines work , not a defect and nothing to worry about.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Never heard any noise yet in 4+ years with my 2009 3.6L, no cold start rattle or anything, oil pressure is instant. Maybe try a better oil with higher film strenth. I alwys use 0W-30 100% synthetic in all me vehciles, the CTS4 and the Denali.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

On Corvette's we would turn the key to the "on" position to charge the fuel rails then start it. Again I think you are just hearing the system charging-up for a cold start which runs a bit rich to heat the cats.

Quote Originally Posted by blankster View Post
    On Corvette's we would turn the key to the "on" position to charge the fuel rails then start it. Again I think you are just hearing the system charging-up for a cold start which runs a bit rich to heat the cats.
    Ha! Reminds me of my old MGB. I would turn it on and hear my fuel pump pressure up as well. About half the time I would turn it on and NOT hear my fuel pump pressure up (thanks, Lucas). That's when I had to get out of my car with the ignition "on", open the trunk, grab my dedicated rubber mallet and give my fuel pump the prerequisite slap with that rubber mallet!

motorhead81 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS4

Thanks for all of the replies, I'm gonna take the advice of several replies and consider it a non issue.

----------

I think the dealer was wrong, I think the post that stated it's the fuel system / cat converter is correct. From under the car the noise seems to resanate from the cat converter.

----------

True! Good call by the way, seems like it's the cat conv area, normal noise I guess.

----------

I believe you nailed it, thank you. I can hear the noise from that area.

----------

Yep, I think that's all it is, I appreciate everyones replies

Are ya' sure, now?

next2pool is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by motorhead81 View Post
    Anyone have any info on what to me sounds like an exhaust leak at startup that lasts about 20 seconds? Once the RPM's drop from a cold start, the sound goes quiet. I took it to the dealer & they say it's the lack of oil getting to the timing chain at startup. Sure sounds like an exhaust leak to me that seals after 20 seconds as things heat up? Seems like a Caddilac should be a bit more refined than to sound like a rattling 4 bang'er for 20 seconds at cold start. You can't hear it from inside the cabin, but from outside it's a bit much.
    It is a normal issue. On cold start they pour fuel to it to light off the convertors and together with a high idle it causes that exhaust tone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.