"Ticking" Sound in 3.6...Again - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, "Ticking" Sound in 3.6...Again in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; If the service manager told you it was a harbinger of bad things to come, why didn't he take the ...
    C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Re: "Ticking" Sound in 3.6...Again

If the service manager told you it was a harbinger of bad things to come, why didn't he take the car in and fix it or at the very least locate the problem to document your concern.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by Xav8tor View Post
    I've already had one service manager at a large dealership tell me that a ticking sound like I described, if coming from the HPFP has, in his experience, been an indicator of impending failure.
    Agree with service mgr., it's my understanding that Fuel Injectors click and the Fuel Pulse Dampener
    (pic here, located upstream, adjacent to the fuel pump) ticks, but the high pressure fuel pump itself
    does not tick under any normal circumstance.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

928S, I (believe) I hear just a small, low, steady hum which I believe is the fuel pump. It has to make noise (once again, I believe) being high pressure that it is. I just seem to hear it from my car while it is in the garage.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

Another cause for a top-end click is the closing velocity of the valves based on the cam profile. Late C4 Corvettes (Lt1s) had a similar issue. I had a '92 that I thought had a top-end issue but learned it was a normal valve noise. '93 model year went to a slightly different cam profile (to slow the valves) and a composite valve cover to quite the noise. I believe 2011 or 2012 CTSs have some improvements to dampen the noise caused by the direct injection system. Note that 1992 Corvette at 5.7 liters put out less HP than our CTS 3.6 so consider our motors pretty "built" so there are some compromises for performance.

Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    If the service manager told you it was a harbinger of bad things to come, why didn't he take the car in and fix it or at the very least locate the problem to document your concern.
    Because he was at a dealership nearly 100 miles from me. I've made calls to about a a half dozen service departments to arm myself with info before I go in locally. Look how many different opinions there are in this thread alone, then the others, as well. Research and preparation is usually one of the keys to solving problems of this type. Like I said, I'm not a modern auto engine expert by any stretch, but I know that just hooking up to a computer and reading the OBD codes, getting an all clear, and saying it's normal is not exactly comprehensive diagnostic technique. Works the same way with a lot of doctors these days: labs come back normal, nothing is wrong. Six months later, you're in intensive care.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Because he was at a dealership nearly 100 miles from me. I've made calls to about a a half dozen service departments to arm myself with info before I go in locally. Look how many different opinions there are in this thread alone, then the others, as well. Research and preparation is usually one of the keys to solving problems of this type. Like I said, I'm not a modern auto engine expert by any stretch, but I know that just hooking up to a computer and reading the OBD codes, getting an all clear, and saying it's normal is not exactly comprehensive diagnostic technique. Works the same way with a lot of doctors these days: labs come back normal, nothing is wrong. Six months later, you're in intensive care.
    Or dead.
    99flhr likes this.

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

First post and pleased to join this forum. What a great resource! I did a search and found a few opinions on an annoying ticking sound on my new (to me) '12 Coupe. I'm over the top happy with the car in every way except for the ticking, which I've seen explained as possibly being a solenoid, injector, pump, or lifter. It is always there, rhythmic, hot or cold (so the SB doesn't apply), and increases in rate when depressing the accelerator. To me, it sounds like a lifter, which scares me since I've been down that road before.

I took it to one dealer who said it was normal with no further explanation except they ran diagnostics and thee were "no codes." Huh? What ever happened to old-fashioned using your ears? I've rented CTS's in the past few years and never heard this noise before. It seems to be coming from the very back of the engine compartment on the driver's side about midway down. Another dealer said that they've never seen a bad lifter in the 3.6 but it could be a solenoid of some sort going bad. Any thoughts and solid info that I can use when I take the car in for service? I got a sweet deal on the car (35K) with only 12K miles and 5/60 left on the CPO warranty, but a car that originally sold for over 50K shouldn't be making noises like that. As an ex airline pilot, when I started hearing strange noises like that, I knew it was just a matter of time before the emergency checklist was coming out.

If they can't fix it, maybe I'll just trade it in on a V before they quit making the coupe....or maybe one of these:

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/...000-coupe.html

Thanks in advance for the help.
    I too have a 12 Coupe and the only ticking I hear is what has historically been described as normal for a DI engine, especially during the brief running when cold before RPMs settle down to normal idle rates. Dont hear it when running the car - just the aggressive growl as I accelerate. No noises heard while cruising but thats probably something you wouldnt hear at highway speeds anyway.

blankster is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Premium AWD 3.6 DI (Sold)

There is a cover that goes over the fuel regulator (towards the back of the engine) intended to dampen/deaden the sound. Is yours missing?

Xav8tor is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium

Got back from the dealer after having some things checked and done. Indeed, he said it's the DI system as soon as I opened the hood and pointed to the origin (back of engine, driver's side, under the cover). I told him it was the same hot or cold, and he said, yes, some were louder, some softer, depending on temp and the SB kind of leads you down the wrong path if you take the "cold start" part literally. I just hope he's right. After I got home, I happened to notice the weatherstripping inside the body panel at the front of the driver's door was loose. Darn if there's not a current thread on that too. One thing is for sure, no one will tell me that's normal.

CharlotteGroce is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Manual 3.6 DI

I own a 2009 CTS 3.6 DI 6-speed manual. I live in South Carolina and flew to Pennsylvania to purchase the only 6-Speed loaded CTS I could find in the country in February 2010. I certainly did not notice the ticking noise the engine made at that time. Upon first notice of this noise I immediately took it to my local dealership. He explained that this is a common noise emitted from the 3.6 liter DI's. I researched online to see if anyone else heard this same noise and was told the same thing. Sure thing. It was the same answer for other owners. Even though this is considered normal for the maker Cadillac, who wants to own a 304 hp engine that sounds like a Ford Fiesta out of oil? People see the badging on the rear of car and think they have a contender; only to find a wimpy sounding engine under the front. It is totally embarrassing. I love the car, though it has other drawbacks. But this ticking is so annoying I had hoped Cadillac would have an after market fix, like a muffling device that could be added. You know, like the headers put on cars and trucks in the 80's. I certainly hope the engineers were disciplined accordingly for this ridiculous snafu. The owners of these cars should be apologized to. I hate starting my car around a crowd. I don't want them to hear the lame engine. So please, Cadillac give us a fix.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CharlotteGroce View Post
    I own a 2009 CTS 3.6 DI 6-speed manual. I live in South Carolina and flew to Pennsylvania to purchase the only 6-Speed loaded CTS I could find in the country in February 2010. I certainly did not notice the ticking noise the engine made at that time. Upon first notice of this noise I immediately took it to my local dealership. He explained that this is a common noise emitted from the 3.6 liter DI's. I researched online to see if anyone else heard this same noise and was told the same thing. Sure thing. It was the same answer for other owners. Even though this is considered normal for the maker Cadillac, who wants to own a 304 hp engine that sounds like a Ford Fiesta out of oil? People see the badging on the rear of car and think they have a contender; only to find a wimpy sounding engine under the front. It is totally embarrassing. I love the car, though it has other drawbacks. But this ticking is so annoying I had hoped Cadillac would have an after market fix, like a muffling device that could be added. You know, like the headers put on cars and trucks in the 80's. I certainly hope the engineers were disciplined accordingly for this ridiculous snafu. The owners of these cars should be apologized to. I hate starting my car around a crowd. I don't want them to hear the lame engine. So please, Cadillac give us a fix.
    This not unique to Cadillac or even GM. Most high pressure injection systems make noise. You are hearing it because it is straight in front of the driver. There is an after market product called dyna-mat that you can try to muffle the sound more to your liking. This is something you will have to explore on your own. As you have no doubt seen; various posts and threads confirm this is a normal noise. Turn up the radio a notch and you will not hear it anymore.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.