Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Front license plate bracket

20K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  azianbob 
#1 ·
I`m a first time owner of a Cadillac. :bouncy:

I bought the CTS Coupe.

Does anybody have an extra front license plate bracket available ¿

Do I have to drill holes in the bumper and if so, should I worry about triggering the air bags ¿

Thank you.

ps. I`m so excited, this car is awesome so far.

#2 ·
Congrats on our purchase. Yes, you have to drill holes. Depending on your year (which you did not state in your avatar) you might be able to get a tow hook/plate holder that is clean and easy to install. There has been much written about this topic.

There is a search panel in the upper right hand corner of this forum page. It reads "Google Custom Search". Type maybe license plate holder in there and see what comes up. The CTSV group has had many discussions.

#5 ·
That's right, CTEss. I would think that by law they have to supply you with one. I don't think that way because we don't have no stinkin' front license plates. So why did you think of it? lol.

#7 · (Edited)
They are usually on eBay. I threw mine out and made one from aluminum sheet metal so it's hidden by the license plate. I can mail a paper copy of the template to you so you can cut one out of aluminum using just sizzors. It mounted on the same bolt holes as the factory bracket using sheet metal screws. A friend who works in a Cadillac collision shop told me the airbag switches are on the radiator support.

#9 · (Edited)
I would definitely not go with the standard dealer-applied license plate (LP) bracket mount - which involves 4 holes being drilled into the front fascia and the bracket installed using 4 rivets. When the job is complete the LP bracket ruins the look of the front of the car, imo, because it sits too high and obscures part of the upper grille.
It's much better to attach the LP bracket further down (bracket oriented upside-down) over the lower grille using a couple of long nylon cable ties. As is250sp stated above, do not drill holes, you will regret it. Here's a photo of my '11 CTS with the LP bracket applied lower down where it belongs. If I ever choose to remove the bracket it's a 1 minute job and there will be no traces of it ever having been there. :D

#18 ·
I would definitely not go with the standard dealer-applied license plate (LP) bracket mount - which involves 4 holes being drilled into the front fascia and the bracket installed using 4 rivets. When the job is complete the LP bracket ruins the look of the front of the car, imo, because it sits too high and obscures part of the upper grille.
It's much better to attach the LP bracket further down (bracket oriented upside-down) over the lower grille using a couple of long nylon cable ties. As is250sp stated above, do not drill holes, you will regret it. Here's a photo of my '11 CTS with the LP bracket applied lower down where it belongs. If I ever choose to remove the bracket it's a 1 minute job and there will be no traces of it ever having been there. :D

Thanks for sharing this! I just mounted my license plate bracket (upside down) on the lower grill with bundle ties. Worked great! I didn’t want it covering my upper grill. My Caddy may be old, but she’s new to me!

Attachments

#10 ·
I have an old metal bracket I will use, it only needs two holes and the bracket itself is not that noticeable once the plate is on.

I need to have the plate right in the middle because I advertise my website on my plates and I need the space on both sides to stick the "www." and ".ca". :eek:

#15 ·
No way would I put a front plate on. If you are swapping out a grill, if you get stopped by the cops, I would tell them you had a front end accident. When they fixed it the body shop never found your front plate.

#20 ·
Live in CA, front plates are required. haven't had them on since June 2015 when an accident required a new front grille. Never been ticketed or pulled over for this. Have gotten several parking tickets and speeding tickets since the repair but the cops never give me crap about it or about my tinted front windows (another no no in CA).

I specifically told the advisor like 5 times not to drill new holes.

I keep the old license plate and bracket in the trunk of the car, it's a bit busted looking from the accident. If a cop ever pulls me over, I am planning on saying that it fell off and I'm on the way to the auto body shop to get it installed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.