Gettiing ready to buy a used 08
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Gettiing ready to buy a used 08 in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; hey guys, I'm getting ready to buy a used 08 during inspection my mechanic found the following problem engine rear ...
    law87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gettiing ready to buy a used 08

hey guys, I'm getting ready to buy a used 08 during inspection my mechanic found the following problem

engine rear main seal, valve cover gasket, rear: differential seal leaking

its not dripping alot (not into the ground) but if you swipe your finger on it you can tell, I'm a little worried, closing the deal in 2 day, is this a common problem? Checked carfax its clean, as in no accident.

test drive went fine also.

I also read somewhere that when the engine is hot, you shouldnt be checking for oil level because it could show a deficit, well when the mechanic took it for a test drive and came back he notice the oil was low. so my questions is, is it really low or because the engine is holding up the oil...sorry I'm not a mechanic, wish I understand what he was talking about.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Gettiing ready to buy a used 08

bump no one can chime in?

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Premium Coupe

Always wait about 10 minutes or so after running hot before checking oil level. I think its even stated in the owners manual to wait a bit before checking oil.

Quote Originally Posted by jghiller View Post
    Always wait about 10 minutes or so after running hot before checking oil level. I think its even stated in the owners manual to wait a bit before checking oil.
    do you have personal experience?

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by jghiller
    From the owner's manual...

Checking Engine Oil

It is a good idea to check the engine oil level at each fuel fill.
    In order to get an accurate reading, the vehicle must be on level ground. The engine oil dipstick handle is a yellow loop. See Engine
    Compartment Overview on page 10-6 for the location of the engine oil dipstick.

1. If the engine has been running recently, turn off the engine and allow several minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan. Checking the oil level too soon after engine shutoff will not provide an accurate oil level reading. .

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by law87 View Post
    ...I also read somewhere that when the engine is hot, you shouldnt be checking for oil level because it could show a deficit, well when the mechanic took it for a test drive and came back he notice the oil was low. so my questions is, is it really low or because the engine is holding up the oil...sorry I'm not a mechanic, wish I understand what he was talking about.
    Here's an excerpt from GM "Oil Consumption Guidelines," bulletin #01-06-01-011F:

"NOT WAITING LONG ENOUGH AFTER RUNNING ENGINE TO CHECK OIL LEVEL
    Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading..."

rchern is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior

Wouldn't it be better to just check the oil when the engines cold?

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

I don't think the topic of discussion here is when to check the oil. I would be more worried about the leaks. What did the person who is selling the car say when you informed them of what the mechanic found?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Back to the OP, if it's leaking I wouldn't buy it.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '08 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, new engine Nov '13 @ 44Kmi.

Quote Originally Posted by rchern View Post
    Wouldn't it be better to just check the oil when the engines cold?
    GM Oil Consumption Guidelines, bulletin referenced above, says, "...verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature...park the vehicle on a level surface...wait at least 15 minutes..."

2008 CTS Owner's Manual says, "in order to get an accurate reading, the oil must be warm and the vehicle must be on level ground."

Quote Originally Posted by Sal33n View Post
    I don't think the topic of discussion here is when to check the oil. I would be more worried about the leaks. What did the person who is selling the car say when you informed them of what the mechanic found?
    he dint say anything, he seem suprised too, he is a second owner.

on other note my bank (penfed) has route 66 extended warranty option, I opt for it when signing up for the loan. I just hope that it cover under their warranty

----------

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Back to the OP, if it's leaking I wouldn't buy it.
    doesnt cars with mileage do that? I'm not trying to come off as a smart ass just trying to understand this more.

I have never had a car with a rear engine main seal leak. I have driven some of my cars 200,000 miles. Just my opinion, I personally wouldn't buy it because it isn't going to get any better, and it won't be a quick, easy, cheap fix.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I have never had a car with a rear engine main seal leak. I have driven some of my cars 200,000 miles. Just my opinion, I personally wouldn't buy it because it isn't going to get any better, and it won't be a quick, easy, cheap fix.
    I'm not a mechanic but do you think it could be anything else that cause that leak? to clarify when i say leak its not like oil dripping to the floor, it just when the mechanic bring it up to the lift, swipe his finger from the bottom, there is some oil residue. My thought that its normal all cars with mileage do this. My 02 rsx burn oil and I thought its normal for its age (155k) and if I lift up a car (confirmed by mechanic), i would assume to find the same problem, again I'm not a mechanic, damn I wish i would taken some pictures.

dsteinmann is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS DI Luxury Performance II

THat should be covered under the 5yr 100,000 mile if its still under warranty

5 years may have passed on this one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.