Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Gettiing ready to buy a used 08

7K views 59 replies 15 participants last post by  JCBCTS 
#1 ·
hey guys, I'm getting ready to buy a used 08 during inspection my mechanic found the following problem

engine rear main seal, valve cover gasket, rear: differential seal leaking

its not dripping alot (not into the ground) but if you swipe your finger on it you can tell, I'm a little worried, closing the deal in 2 day, is this a common problem? Checked carfax its clean, as in no accident.

test drive went fine also.

I also read somewhere that when the engine is hot, you shouldnt be checking for oil level because it could show a deficit, well when the mechanic took it for a test drive and came back he notice the oil was low. so my questions is, is it really low or because the engine is holding up the oil...sorry I'm not a mechanic, wish I understand what he was talking about.

#5 ·
jghiller said:
Always wait about 10 minutes or so after running hot before checking oil level. I think its even stated in the owners manual to wait a bit before checking oil.
From the owner's manual...

Checking Engine Oil

It is a good idea to check the engine oil level at each fuel fill.
In order to get an accurate reading, the vehicle must be on level ground. The engine oil dipstick handle is a yellow loop. See Engine
Compartment Overview on page 10-6 for the location of the engine oil dipstick.

1. If the engine has been running recently, turn off the engine and allow several minutes for the oil to drain back into the oil pan. Checking the oil level too soon after engine shutoff will not provide an accurate oil level reading. .

#6 ·
...I also read somewhere that when the engine is hot, you shouldnt be checking for oil level because it could show a deficit, well when the mechanic took it for a test drive and came back he notice the oil was low. so my questions is, is it really low or because the engine is holding up the oil...sorry I'm not a mechanic, wish I understand what he was talking about.
Here's an excerpt from GM "Oil Consumption Guidelines," bulletin #01-06-01-011F:

"NOT WAITING LONG ENOUGH AFTER RUNNING ENGINE TO CHECK OIL LEVEL
Some engines require more time than others for the oil to drain back into the crankcase. To assure a sufficient amount of oil has drained back to the crankcase, and an accurate reading can be obtained, the vehicle should be allowed to sit for at least 15 minutes, after the engine has been shut off, before taking an oil level reading..."

#10 ·
GM Oil Consumption Guidelines, bulletin referenced above, says, "...verify that the engine is at normal operating temperature...park the vehicle on a level surface...wait at least 15 minutes..."

2008 CTS Owner's Manual says, "in order to get an accurate reading, the oil must be warm and the vehicle must be on level ground."

#11 ·
he dint say anything, he seem suprised too, he is a second owner.

on other note my bank (penfed) has route 66 extended warranty option, I opt for it when signing up for the loan. I just hope that it cover under their warranty

----------

Back to the OP, if it's leaking I wouldn't buy it.
doesnt cars with mileage do that? I'm not trying to come off as a smart ass just trying to understand this more.

#12 ·
I have never had a car with a rear engine main seal leak. I have driven some of my cars 200,000 miles. Just my opinion, I personally wouldn't buy it because it isn't going to get any better, and it won't be a quick, easy, cheap fix.

#13 ·
I'm not a mechanic but do you think it could be anything else that cause that leak? to clarify when i say leak its not like oil dripping to the floor, it just when the mechanic bring it up to the lift, swipe his finger from the bottom, there is some oil residue. My thought that its normal all cars with mileage do this. My 02 rsx burn oil and I thought its normal for its age (155k) and if I lift up a car (confirmed by mechanic), i would assume to find the same problem, again I'm not a mechanic, damn I wish i would taken some pictures.

#17 ·
Sal33n said:
I don't think the topic of discussion here is when to check the oil. I would be more worried about the leaks. What did the person who is selling the car say when you informed them of what the mechanic found?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I would be steering clear of that car.

----------

law87 said:
doesnt cars with mileage do that? I'm not trying to come off as a smart ass just trying to understand this more.
I have owned three Acuras that went a 100K miles and a Toyota Landcruiser with 160K miles on it when they were traded in and none of them had leaks.

----------

law87 said:
I'm not a mechanic but do you think it could be anything else that cause that leak? to clarify when i say leak its not like oil dripping to the floor, it just when the mechanic bring it up to the lift, swipe his finger from the bottom, there is some oil residue. My thought that its normal all cars with mileage do this. My 02 rsx burn oil and I thought its normal for its age (155k) and if I lift up a car (confirmed by mechanic), i would assume to find the same problem, again I'm not a mechanic, damn I wish i would taken some pictures.
A leak is a leak. In your case it's a small one that isn't dripping ...... Yet.

No pictures are necessary.

It could stay that way or it could get worse. Either way it will be expensive to fix.

#19 ·
To the OP, on this forum you can't ask for help and then challenge every opinion you get. Yes the car has to be at normal operating temp and wait ten minutes before checking the oil level. that's what the manual says, so yes we all have experience at that. It sounds like you may have already purchased the car and if so good luck. No extended warranty covers fluid leaks and if you have a leak now they are just going to continue to get worse. If you haven't bought this car, walk away, there are too many good cars out there that do not have all of these problems.

#20 ·
To the OP, on this forum you can't ask for help and then challenge every opinion you get. Yes the car has to be at normal operating temp and wait ten minutes before checking the oil level. that's what the manual says, so yes we all have experience at that. It sounds like you may have already purchased the car and if so good luck. No extended warranty covers fluid leaks and if you have a leak now they are just going to continue to get worse. If you haven't bought this car, walk away, there are too many good cars out there that do not have all of these problems.
I agree with the above quote 100%.

If you haven't already purchased this car, run don't walk away from this deal. Automotive fluids should generally stay inside the area in which they are housed unless something is worn, not seated properly, etc.

#21 ·
I know how you can fall in love with something and try to dismiss the faults. You want this car so bad and are hoping the leaks are not a big deal. If you are dead set on getting this car, I would take out out again but to an actual Cadillac dealer and have them look at it and get there professional opinion and get a quote on the cost of repair. Take that quote to the seller and negotiate for lower price or have him get the car fixed then sell at asking price. This is not like an oil pan leak or valve cover leak. A leak you described means a lot of labor involved which can be costly.

----------

Actually, just fall out of love with this car and find at least a 2009 model. Chances are once you get this car and find out you don't have blue-tooth then you will be all over the forums for months trying to figure out how to get your blue tooth phone working! lol (I am being serious :)

#22 ·
Sal33n said:
I know how you can fall in love with something and try to dismiss the faults. You want this car so bad and are hoping the leaks are not a big deal. If you are dead set on getting this car, I would take out out again but to an actual Cadillac dealer and have them look at it and get there professional opinion and get a quote on the cost of repair. Take that quote to the seller and negotiate for lower price or have him get the car fixed then sell at asking price. This is not like an oil pan leak or valve cover leak. A leak you described means a lot of labor involved which can be costly.

----------

Actually, just fall out of love with this car and find at least a 2009 model. Chances are once you get this car and find out you don't have blue-tooth then you will be all over the forums for months trying to figure out how to get your blue tooth phone working! lol (I am being serious :)
100% agreed! I made the mistake by falling in love with my 08 and went nuts until I got the Bluetooth working by installing a newer VCIM.

You'll find another one, trust me! (I'm looking at the newer ones myself)

#25 ·
well he was asking 18k but i talked him down to 16k because of the leak, just talked to him again on the phone, he agreed to take it to cadillac dealership and have them inspect the engine seal and rear diff seal so hopefully its not anything major.

#26 ·
law87 said:
well he was asking 18k but i talked him down to 16k because of the leak, just talked to him again on the phone, he agreed to take it to cadillac dealership and have them inspect the engine seal and rear diff seal so hopefully its not anything major.
I don't mean to sound rude, but I am not sure what you're not understanding. The rear diff leak may not be as big of a deal, but the rear main seal is a big deal. The parts aren't much, but the labor is large. If it is in fact leaking then to do the job right will be a big deal.

#28 ·
I understand but I wont be able to talk him down if it not coming from a dealership inspector...

plus that route 66 extended warranty should cover my back. if anything I can bargain with him and if the car actually break down I can use my warranty. that is why i also ask if anyone have route 66 extended warranty.

#29 ·
law87 said:
I understand but I wont be able to talk him down if it not coming from a dealership inspector...

plus that route 66 extended warranty should cover my back. if anything I can bargain with him and if the car actually break down I can use my warranty. that is why i also ask if anyone have route 66 extended warranty.
Make sure that the warranty covers leaks. Some aftermarket warranties do not cover leaks.

#30 ·
I am, thanks for the concern :)

so i just talk to a Cadillac service rep, she say the leak is not really consider a leak, its more like seapping by GM standard, she say its common problem...am I making this way worse than it should or is she making this way lighter then it should lol, of course she havent seen the car yet, but from my description she say that's what it sounds like.

#32 ·
law87 said:
I am, thanks for the concern :)

so i just talk to a Cadillac service rep, she say the leak is not really consider a leak, its more like seapping by GM standard, she say its common problem...am I making this way worse than it should or is she making this way lighter then it should lol, of course she havent seen the car yet, but from my description she say that's what it sounds like.
Whether it's seepage or it's full blown stream, a leak is a leak.

#33 ·
I guess it boils down to the fact that most of the folks here say to walk away from this problem child. Obviously if you really want it then it is all yours, warts and all, but the overwhelming response is to get the hell away.

#35 ·
It's weird that I am getting a different response from the user on here and the Cadillac service reps say something different. I called 3-4 different Cadillac service rep and they say this is common "the oil should not be leaking to the floor, but dampening or seeping is common among Cadillac cars" exact line more or less from 3-4 rep, 1 from Hawaii (call late last night from east coast), 2-3 from east coast this morning. Anyone wanna do me a big favor and check their ride? would be extremely appreciative.

I recognized when someone tell me to walk away, but I would like to also know I done my best to not let a good deal walk by, make me sleep better at night. That being said I truly do value you guys input, it does help me step back and take a look, I hold off the buy till Saturday, thanks all.

#38 ·
I'm not sure how different the non-DI is vs. the DI.

Can someone pipe up on this?

Also, if the two engines are quite similar in design, the Camaro forum might be of use.

#39 ·
law87 said:
It's weird that I am getting a different response from the user on here and the Cadillac service reps say something different. I called 3-4 different Cadillac service rep and they say this is common "the oil should not be leaking to the floor, but dampening or seeping is common among Cadillac cars" exact line more or less from 3-4 rep, 1 from Hawaii (call late last night from east coast), 2-3 from east coast this morning. Anyone wanna do me a big favor and check their ride? would be extremely appreciative.

I recognized when someone tell me to walk away, but I would like to also know I done my best to not let a good deal walk by, make me sleep better at night. That being said I truly do value you guys input, it does help me step back and take a look, I hold off the buy till Saturday, thanks all.

Let's put it this way, my 2012 went in for an oil change and they noticed a little leak near the front engine cover. They got it fixed under warranty. If it was "normal" they should have left it alone... No?

True, a little seepage isn't a big deal, but you aren't buying a beater. You're still spending $16K and if that leak gets worse it won't be cheap.

#43 ·
well the thing is, it wasn't brought up to my attention but my friend say all old car does it, even my 155k acura, he say all car leak a little bit as it age. I never ever replace any kind of seal on my acura, it does burn oil every 4k miles (about 1 quartz)

If the caddi can last another 100k miles I consider that a well worth car, I own the acura for 8 years and only put in 105k, travel 2000 miles across country 3-4 times and it was great, its just getting too old and the ride is very uncomfortable for my age, I'm 26 and yes I consider myself old :( lol as long as my insurance say so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.