Gettiing ready to buy a used 08 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Gettiing ready to buy a used 08 in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by gohawks63 Make sure that the warranty covers leaks. Some aftermarket warranties do not cover leaks. I would ...
    snafu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS DI AWD Luxury-Performance II ThunderGray/Titanium

Re: Gettiing ready to buy a used 08

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Make sure that the warranty covers leaks. Some aftermarket warranties do not cover leaks.
    I would be surprised if the aftermarket warranty would cover a pre-existing condition, kinda like buying auto insurance after the accident???

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by law87

I am, thanks for the concern

so i just talk to a Cadillac service rep, she say the leak is not really consider a leak, its more like seapping by GM standard, she say its common problem...am I making this way worse than it should or is she making this way lighter then it should lol, of course she havent seen the car yet, but from my description she say that's what it sounds like.
    Whether it's seepage or it's full blown stream, a leak is a leak.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

I guess it boils down to the fact that most of the folks here say to walk away from this problem child. Obviously if you really want it then it is all yours, warts and all, but the overwhelming response is to get the hell away.

ajazolino is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS
    Run. Run far far away.

law87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It's weird that I am getting a different response from the user on here and the Cadillac service reps say something different. I called 3-4 different Cadillac service rep and they say this is common "the oil should not be leaking to the floor, but dampening or seeping is common among Cadillac cars" exact line more or less from 3-4 rep, 1 from Hawaii (call late last night from east coast), 2-3 from east coast this morning. Anyone wanna do me a big favor and check their ride? would be extremely appreciative.

I recognized when someone tell me to walk away, but I would like to also know I done my best to not let a good deal walk by, make me sleep better at night. That being said I truly do value you guys input, it does help me step back and take a look, I hold off the buy till Saturday, thanks all.

Which engine is this, 3.0 or 3.6? DI?

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Which engine is this, 3.0 or 3.6? DI?
    its a 3.6 non DI AWD

I'm not sure how different the non-DI is vs. the DI.

Can someone pipe up on this?

Also, if the two engines are quite similar in design, the Camaro forum might be of use.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by law87
    It's weird that I am getting a different response from the user on here and the Cadillac service reps say something different. I called 3-4 different Cadillac service rep and they say this is common "the oil should not be leaking to the floor, but dampening or seeping is common among Cadillac cars" exact line more or less from 3-4 rep, 1 from Hawaii (call late last night from east coast), 2-3 from east coast this morning. Anyone wanna do me a big favor and check their ride? would be extremely appreciative.

I recognized when someone tell me to walk away, but I would like to also know I done my best to not let a good deal walk by, make me sleep better at night. That being said I truly do value you guys input, it does help me step back and take a look, I hold off the buy till Saturday, thanks all.

Let's put it this way, my 2012 went in for an oil change and they noticed a little leak near the front engine cover. They got it fixed under warranty. If it was "normal" they should have left it alone... No?

True, a little seepage isn't a big deal, but you aren't buying a beater. You're still spending $16K and if that leak gets worse it won't be cheap.

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

16K? I got my 09 for 16K 4 months ago from a dealer with remaining CPO warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal33n View Post
    16K? I got my 09 for 16K 4 months ago from a dealer with remaining CPO warranty.
    with how many miles? man that is a good deal, this one is pretty loaded, I have to have that Panoramic roof its just a have to thing for the car or else its a deal breaker for me.

Well the seller seems to be on the up and up by willing to take it to Cadillac and have them check it out. If it's all good then go for it. What I would do though is find out how much it will cost to get fixed if it does get worse in the future. At least that way you would be prepared someday down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Let's put it this way, my 2012 went in for an oil change and they noticed a little leak near the front engine cover. They got it fixed under warranty. If it was "normal" they should have left it alone... No?

True, a little seepage isn't a big deal, but you aren't buying a beater. You're still spending $16K and if that leak gets worse it won't be cheap.
    well the thing is, it wasn't brought up to my attention but my friend say all old car does it, even my 155k acura, he say all car leak a little bit as it age. I never ever replace any kind of seal on my acura, it does burn oil every 4k miles (about 1 quartz)

If the caddi can last another 100k miles I consider that a well worth car, I own the acura for 8 years and only put in 105k, travel 2000 miles across country 3-4 times and it was great, its just getting too old and the ride is very uncomfortable for my age, I'm 26 and yes I consider myself old lol as long as my insurance say so.

It had 90k miles on it which you may think is high but the CPO warranty totally was worth it. A few weeks after I got it the interior lights would not turn off if you open the driver door. Took in in under warranty which they replaced the electronic lock assembly and fixed it. While there they also noticed a leak from the front engine cover which I did not know about because there was no dripping just as you describe. Upon teardown to fix it they also replaced the timing chains, replaced the water pump and replaced the camshaft thrust washers because endplay was a little out of spec. Now mind you the car was driving like an absolute dream and I had no idea about the leaks or timing chains loose. The cost to me was $0. I have no idea how much it would have cost me if I didn't have the CPO warranty. My car still looks brand new and even still smells new inside. It drives like a brand new car even with the miles. Steering is tight and straight. And yes it also has the panoramic roof

----------

By the way, CPO stands for Certified Pre-Owned.

You would have had a few thousand dollars in your repairs, Sal33n.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.