Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Gettiing ready to buy a used 08

7K views 59 replies 15 participants last post by  JCBCTS 
#1 ·
hey guys, I'm getting ready to buy a used 08 during inspection my mechanic found the following problem

engine rear main seal, valve cover gasket, rear: differential seal leaking

its not dripping alot (not into the ground) but if you swipe your finger on it you can tell, I'm a little worried, closing the deal in 2 day, is this a common problem? Checked carfax its clean, as in no accident.

test drive went fine also.

I also read somewhere that when the engine is hot, you shouldnt be checking for oil level because it could show a deficit, well when the mechanic took it for a test drive and came back he notice the oil was low. so my questions is, is it really low or because the engine is holding up the oil...sorry I'm not a mechanic, wish I understand what he was talking about.

#42 ·
Well the seller seems to be on the up and up by willing to take it to Cadillac and have them check it out. If it's all good then go for it. What I would do though is find out how much it will cost to get fixed if it does get worse in the future. At least that way you would be prepared someday down the road.

#44 ·
It had 90k miles on it which you may think is high but the CPO warranty totally was worth it. A few weeks after I got it the interior lights would not turn off if you open the driver door. Took in in under warranty which they replaced the electronic lock assembly and fixed it. While there they also noticed a leak from the front engine cover which I did not know about because there was no dripping just as you describe. Upon teardown to fix it they also replaced the timing chains, replaced the water pump and replaced the camshaft thrust washers because endplay was a little out of spec. Now mind you the car was driving like an absolute dream and I had no idea about the leaks or timing chains loose. The cost to me was $0. I have no idea how much it would have cost me if I didn't have the CPO warranty. My car still looks brand new and even still smells new inside. It drives like a brand new car even with the miles. Steering is tight and straight. And yes it also has the panoramic roof :)

----------

By the way, CPO stands for Certified Pre-Owned.

#46 ·
It had 90k miles on it which you may think is high but the CPO warranty totally was worth it. A few weeks after I got it the interior lights would not turn off if you open the driver door. Took in in under warranty which they replaced the electronic lock assembly and fixed it. While there they also noticed a leak from the front engine cover which I did not know about because there was no dripping just as you describe. Upon teardown to fix it they also replaced the timing chains, replaced the water pump and replaced the camshaft thrust washers because endplay was a little out of spec. Now mind you the car was driving like an absolute dream and I had no idea about the leaks or timing chains loose. The cost to me was $0. I have no idea how much it would have cost me if I didn't have the CPO warranty. My car still looks brand new and even still smells new inside. It drives like a brand new car even with the miles. Steering is tight and straight. And yes it also has the panoramic roof :)
----------

By the way, CPO stands for Certified Pre-Owned.
there is no way I can find a deal like that in Baltimore. I do have route 66 signed up which kind of put my mind at ease, its going to give me factory warranty till 100k then from there on they only worry about power train to 120k I believe. 1900 for the warranty, pretty good reviews on the net so far and its recommended by a the bank that loan me the money for the car.

#47 ·
Yikes!!

----------

there is no way I can find a deal like that in Baltimore. I do have route 66 signed up which kind of put my mind at ease, its going to give me factory warranty till 100k then from there on they only worry about power train to 120k I believe. 1900 for the warranty, pretty good reviews on the net so far and its recommended by a the bank that loan me the money for the car.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...][]]&listingId=346910874&listingIndex=3&Log=0

#52 ·
Whether it's it's a weep or a leak, it will manifest itself into a larger problem. I know off no extended warranty the will pay for new seals, they are considered maintenance. Keep in mind that a rear main seal means the engine has to come out. It sounds like you are dead set on this car, so at this point nothing anybody on the forum says will change your mind.You asked for advice and every response has been the same; walk away from the car We have all been CTS owners, I'm on my fourth. Buy the the car and good luck. Whatever you save put it in the bank, you'll need it.

#60 ·
Not sure where you are in the search but I have an 08...no seepage but the car burns a quart and a half between oil changes (about 7000 miles) VERY COMMON WITH THE V-6. Oil level a little low does not mean there is anything wrong...just depends if the owner has topped it off lately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.