Gettiing ready to buy a used 08 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Gettiing ready to buy a used 08 in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Originally Posted by tinman 5 years may have passed on this one. my bank offer route 66 extended warranty I ...
    law87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Gettiing ready to buy a used 08

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    5 years may have passed on this one.
    my bank offer route 66 extended warranty I did take that offer, however I heard stories regarding 3rd party warranties

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal33n
    I don't think the topic of discussion here is when to check the oil. I would be more worried about the leaks. What did the person who is selling the car say when you informed them of what the mechanic found?
    That's exactly what I was thinking. I would be steering clear of that car.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by law87

doesnt cars with mileage do that? I'm not trying to come off as a smart ass just trying to understand this more.
    I have owned three Acuras that went a 100K miles and a Toyota Landcruiser with 160K miles on it when they were traded in and none of them had leaks.

----------

I'm not a mechanic but do you think it could be anything else that cause that leak? to clarify when i say leak its not like oil dripping to the floor, it just when the mechanic bring it up to the lift, swipe his finger from the bottom, there is some oil residue. My thought that its normal all cars with mileage do this. My 02 rsx burn oil and I thought its normal for its age (155k) and if I lift up a car (confirmed by mechanic), i would assume to find the same problem, again I'm not a mechanic, damn I wish i would taken some pictures.
    A leak is a leak. In your case it's a small one that isn't dripping ...... Yet.

No pictures are necessary.

It could stay that way or it could get worse. Either way it will be expensive to fix.

928S is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013

Quote Originally Posted by law87 View Post
    my bank offer route 66 extended warranty I did take that offer, however I heard stories regarding 3rd party warranties
    FWIW, according to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), Auto Services Co., a.k.a. Route 66 Extended Warranties, of Mountain Home, Arkansas, a BBB-accredited business since 1987, has earned an A+ (highest) rating.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

To the OP, on this forum you can't ask for help and then challenge every opinion you get. Yes the car has to be at normal operating temp and wait ten minutes before checking the oil level. that's what the manual says, so yes we all have experience at that. It sounds like you may have already purchased the car and if so good luck. No extended warranty covers fluid leaks and if you have a leak now they are just going to continue to get worse. If you haven't bought this car, walk away, there are too many good cars out there that do not have all of these problems.
    tinman and snofun3 like this.

ROC OUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    To the OP, on this forum you can't ask for help and then challenge every opinion you get. Yes the car has to be at normal operating temp and wait ten minutes before checking the oil level. that's what the manual says, so yes we all have experience at that. It sounds like you may have already purchased the car and if so good luck. No extended warranty covers fluid leaks and if you have a leak now they are just going to continue to get worse. If you haven't bought this car, walk away, there are too many good cars out there that do not have all of these problems.
    I agree with the above quote 100%.

If you haven't already purchased this car, run don't walk away from this deal. Automotive fluids should generally stay inside the area in which they are housed unless something is worn, not seated properly, etc.

Sal33n is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Former '03 CTS owner, 09' CTS4

I know how you can fall in love with something and try to dismiss the faults. You want this car so bad and are hoping the leaks are not a big deal. If you are dead set on getting this car, I would take out out again but to an actual Cadillac dealer and have them look at it and get there professional opinion and get a quote on the cost of repair. Take that quote to the seller and negotiate for lower price or have him get the car fixed then sell at asking price. This is not like an oil pan leak or valve cover leak. A leak you described means a lot of labor involved which can be costly.

----------

Actually, just fall out of love with this car and find at least a 2009 model. Chances are once you get this car and find out you don't have blue-tooth then you will be all over the forums for months trying to figure out how to get your blue tooth phone working! lol (I am being serious

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal33n
    I know how you can fall in love with something and try to dismiss the faults. You want this car so bad and are hoping the leaks are not a big deal. If you are dead set on getting this car, I would take out out again but to an actual Cadillac dealer and have them look at it and get there professional opinion and get a quote on the cost of repair. Take that quote to the seller and negotiate for lower price or have him get the car fixed then sell at asking price. This is not like an oil pan leak or valve cover leak. A leak you described means a lot of labor involved which can be costly.

----------

Actually, just fall out of love with this car and find at least a 2009 model. Chances are once you get this car and find out you don't have blue-tooth then you will be all over the forums for months trying to figure out how to get your blue tooth phone working! lol (I am being serious
    100% agreed! I made the mistake by falling in love with my 08 and went nuts until I got the Bluetooth working by installing a newer VCIM.

You'll find another one, trust me! (I'm looking at the newer ones myself)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    100% agreed! I made the mistake by falling in love with my 08 and went nuts until I got the Bluetooth working by installing a newer VCIM.

You'll find another one, trust me! (I'm looking at the newer ones myself)
    man this suck hate walking away from a good deal.

man this suck hate walking away from a good deal.
    There is a reason why it's a good deal. If you can get them to drop the price a $2k or $3K to make the repairs, it may be a better deal.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    There is a reason why it's a good deal. If you can get them to drop the price a $2k or $3K to make the repairs, it may be a better deal.
    well he was asking 18k but i talked him down to 16k because of the leak, just talked to him again on the phone, he agreed to take it to cadillac dealership and have them inspect the engine seal and rear diff seal so hopefully its not anything major.

well he was asking 18k but i talked him down to 16k because of the leak, just talked to him again on the phone, he agreed to take it to cadillac dealership and have them inspect the engine seal and rear diff seal so hopefully its not anything major.
    I don't mean to sound rude, but I am not sure what you're not understanding. The rear diff leak may not be as big of a deal, but the rear main seal is a big deal. The parts aren't much, but the labor is large. If it is in fact leaking then to do the job right will be a big deal.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    gohawks63 is absolutely correct.

Walk away and find another one. I'll do the searching if you'd like. I'll just need a zip code, what your ABSOLUTE max price is and how far you're willing to drive to get one!

I don't mean to sound rude, but I am not sure what you're not understanding. The rear diff leak may not be as big of a deal, but the rear main seal is a big deal. The parts aren't much, but the labor is large. If it is in fact leaking then to do the job right will be a big deal.
    I understand but I wont be able to talk him down if it not coming from a dealership inspector...

plus that route 66 extended warranty should cover my back. if anything I can bargain with him and if the car actually break down I can use my warranty. that is why i also ask if anyone have route 66 extended warranty.

I understand but I wont be able to talk him down if it not coming from a dealership inspector...

plus that route 66 extended warranty should cover my back. if anything I can bargain with him and if the car actually break down I can use my warranty. that is why i also ask if anyone have route 66 extended warranty.
    Make sure that the warranty covers leaks. Some aftermarket warranties do not cover leaks.

Make sure that the warranty covers leaks. Some aftermarket warranties do not cover leaks.
    I am, thanks for the concern

so i just talk to a Cadillac service rep, she say the leak is not really consider a leak, its more like seapping by GM standard, she say its common problem...am I making this way worse than it should or is she making this way lighter then it should lol, of course she havent seen the car yet, but from my description she say that's what it sounds like.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.