08 AWD - Drivetrain noise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 08 AWD - Drivetrain noise in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Wanted to see if anyone has experienced this in the past. Starting to get some drive train noise while on ...
    csudhoff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

08 AWD - Drivetrain noise

Wanted to see if anyone has experienced this in the past. Starting to get some drive train noise while on the highway. When driving around 65-70 on the highway the car is cruising at 1900-2100 RPM I get a vibration/noise from the trans tunnel and or rear end, i let off the gas and it stops immediately. I noticed this more when there is a slight incline. Car is just out of its 5 Year drive train warranty as of last month.

Here is some basic info about my car: 2008 CTS AWD / 3.6 DI / 87,000 Miles. Any info is appreciated.

-Craig

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 08 AWD - Drivetrain noise

Quote Originally Posted by csudhoff View Post
    Wanted to see if anyone has experienced this in the past. Starting to get some drive train noise while on the highway. When driving around 65-70 on the highway the car is cruising at 1900-2100 RPM I get a vibration/noise from the trans tunnel and or rear end, i let off the gas and it stops immediately. I noticed this more when there is a slight incline. Car is just out of its 5 Year drive train warranty as of last month.

Here is some basic info about my car: 2008 CTS AWD / 3.6 DI / 87,000 Miles. Any info is appreciated.

-Craig
    Hello Craig,

I apologize for the noise you are experiencing. I am unable to offer technical advice, because I am not a certified technician. I do see you are just out of your drivetrain warranty, however if you do want to take your vehicle in for a diagnosis, let me know. I can be reached via private message and we can continue to interact that way.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Tsirpas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L AWD

Yea bad news bud, just finished paying roughly $3000 to replace my drive-shaft Same year, awd 3.6di my drive train started doing the same thing, eventually the ticking got so bad I finally took it in, and the mechanic told me that the drive shaft was finished, and also went on to mention it's not the first time he's heard of our generation of cts's having this issue which makes me very uneasy... just as the warranty ends one of the most expensive parts decides to go?

Anyways, just speaking from experience, get your wallet ready for this one.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Hmm... these "drivetrain noise" problems on early ('08) AWD CTS's seem to be getting much more prominent/numerous now. Not a good sign. It suggests prop shaft assembly (drive shaft asm) alignment was messed up on some early AWD cars, and as a consequence related components are now failing. Outside of warranty this can represent a very expensive repair.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsirpas View Post
    Yea bad news bud, just finished paying roughly $3000 to replace my drive-shaft Same year, awd 3.6di my drive train started doing the same thing, eventually the ticking got so bad I finally took it in, and the mechanic told me that the drive shaft was finished, and also went on to mention it's not the first time he's heard of our generation of cts's having this issue which makes me very uneasy... just as the warranty ends one of the most expensive parts decides to go?

Anyways, just speaking from experience, get your wallet ready for this one.
    Thanks for the info! Did this fix your issues i hope? It's alarming how many issues there have been lately that sound related to this. I work for a Tier 1 drive train supplier and this is obviously some sort of defect, a component is failing that should be looked into as a TSB/Recall repair IMO.

I am really disappointed with the CTS, its problems like this that makes me want to just get rid of it. I really love the car but the quality is lacking, you have a lot of options at this price point. My in-laws also bought a 2009 CTS4 brand new (my recommendation) and I'm about to tell them they should also consider unloading the car before they have problems. Just overall I'm not thrilled with the brand and may not buy another GM product. Also had a horrible experience with a local dealer and had Mr. Furguson involved since I was so disgusted them.

I want to support the American brands but I think it may be time to move on to something German... I never have any problems with the wife's Mercedes and even the service visits have been pleasant.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Keep in mind this is a 5 year old car. Even a Cadillac is going to start having problems by now. It's unfortunate that you have the problem but you shouldn't condemn the entire brand. I realize that many people out there have cars older than yours without problems. I know it stinks and if it was my car I'd be mad but I think you would have to admit that some of the parts that your company manufactures; just plain fail at times. It's just the nature of the beast. I wish you well in getting your problem straightened soon.

jagi0966 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4, 3.6L DI, Luxury Collection
    The rear shaft doesnt have joints in it, just isolators as the alignment is almost straight to the rear diff. What fails? Cant see how it will cost $3000 to replace the driveshaft asm.

Tsirpas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS 3.6L AWD
    Well my mechanic had said this should be a recall based on the frequency of the occurrences! A car should never need to have its drive shaft replaced... However no to be honest it's never been 100% the same since the replacement, also my stabilitrak, traction and abs systems have all failed too now with all the lights on and it's telling me to service all three.

Transmission gave out this morning while just turning over 90,008 miles on the odometer. Had the car towed to the local dealer and they said its an internal transmission failure. No chance to rebuild. Must replace with a new transmission for $3885.00 + tax. Wonderful beings that the drive train warranty expired in March of this year.

Very disappointing to say the least.

qijovn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS 3.6DI AWD NAV 07 CBR600RR

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Keep in mind this is a 5 year old car. Even a Cadillac is going to start having problems by now. It's unfortunate that you have the problem but you shouldn't condemn the entire brand. I realize that many people out there have cars older than yours without problems. I know it stinks and if it was my car I'd be mad but I think you would have to admit that some of the parts that your company manufactures; just plain fail at times. It's just the nature of the beast. I wish you well in getting your problem straightened soon.
    I agree. Good insight.

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

The prop shaft is under $1,000 but it looks like the exhaust system has to come down to replace it. Has anyone witnessed this thing being replaced?

Also has anyone ever just replaced those goofy vibration dampers??

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Today the vibration was so bad on the highway I decided to take it to a Cadillac Dealer for diagnosis. Tomorrow (Tuesday) it gets dropped off and we will see what they find. My guess is the prop shaft, since I've re balanced the tires so many times I lost count.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.