TRANSMISSION POWER FLUSH @ 50K miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, TRANSMISSION POWER FLUSH @ 50K miles in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; All the cars I had I never power flushed my transmission until after 100,000 miles. I see that we are ...
    danoh123 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS 3.6 Premium AWD

TRANSMISSION POWER FLUSH @ 50K miles

All the cars I had I never power flushed my transmission until after 100,000 miles. I see that we are recommended by Cadillac (v6 3.6L) to do so at 50,000 miles. It costs about $250. Do you thinking this is worth the money?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Re: TRANSMISSION POWER FLUSH @ 50K miles

Danoh123,

I don't have my manual handy, but is the dealer saying it should be done or the owners manual? I will check my manual.

Just off the cuff, it would be odd for a modern transmission to need a power flush at 50K. Even if the manual tells us to do it, I wouldn't. A power flush doesn't remove the old fluid from the torque convertor and that's a no no. I'm guessing your dealer is trying to up-sell this? Let us know, Marv

BreakingThrough is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Thunder Gray '08 CTS 3.6 FE2 Premium

I've been wondering the same thing. I just hit 50k on my '08, and the manual recommends "Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (severe service)" at 50k. It doesn't specify "Power Flush" vs. "Drain and Fill."

I *think* I might qualify for "severe service" (mostly city mile trips of less than 10 miles, only occasional freeway driving), but I'm not sure if they mean SEVERE, as in livery service severe. Can't trust the dealer -- they just want to upsell. As much as I like my dealer, I saw them turn some poor old man's $30 oil change into a $900 service on his Buick in the waiting room.

What would you do?

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I changed mine myself at 55,000 miles. The hardest part is refilling the pan. I used a cheap pump and mounting tape to secure the hose in the drain plug (to take up the gap and limit the chance of fluid spilling back out rather than entering the pan). Once I had pumped the quarts into the pan, with the car level, I removed the pump hose and let it drain even and installed the bolt.

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Is this something you can do yourself?
    Never "Power Flush" anything except a toilet, and then be careful.

If you can do it yourself, I can send you (not PM you, but via your real email) a How To on this very topic. I was getting set to do this, but since I have 50,000 miles and my transmission dropped out twice in the past 30 days I do believe it has been done for me.

I would have rather done it myself, thankyouverymuchCadillac.

Power flush costs $260. I believe the charge is from using special pressure generating equipment with detergent to clean out the transmission. BTW - i had a problem with transmission of 2004 Toyota Sienna at around 130,000 miles. The low gear had some jerking motion. 2 Power flush did not help at all. My friend recommended I use $10 Lucas additive: It solved the problem.

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

FORGET THE IDEA OF FLUSHING YOUR TRANSMISSIONS. Normal transmission maintenance is a good idea. Drop the bottom pan, change the filter and clean everything up and refill the transmission with fresh fluid. Do the cooler line/bucket purge if you arereally fastidious about changing all the fluid... but... DO NOT hook your transmission up to a flush machine. A flush will do absolutely nothing more than a good drain and refill will accomplish... and potentially a lot of harm. Do not take the risk. Just because some have had good experiences (or the lack of a bad experience) with a flush does NOT mean that they will always go good.

There has never been a reason to power flush a transmission other than to sell more transmission fluid. Thats what the machines were invented to do, make it easy for amateurs to sell ATF.
    rspreng, rspreng and 99flhr like this.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
    Quote Originally Posted by Z71
    FORGET THE IDEA OF FLUSHING YOUR TRANSMISSIONS. Normal transmission maintenance is a good idea. Drop the bottom pan, change the filter and clean everything up and refill the transmission with fresh fluid. Do the cooler line/bucket purge if you arereally fastidious about changing all the fluid... but... DO NOT hook your transmission up to a flush machine. A flush will do absolutely nothing more than a good drain and refill will accomplish... and potentially a lot of harm. Do not take the risk. Just because some have had good experiences (or the lack of a bad experience) with a flush does NOT mean that they will always go good.

There has never been a reason to power flush a transmission other than to sell more transmission fluid. Thats what the machines were invented to do, make it easy for amateurs to sell ATF.
    Absolutely agree!

Joe
    Joe is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS blk/blk

Don't waste your money. The fluid should be normal unless the transmission is giving you problems. GM will be happy to flush the cash out of yourwallet. I love GM but some of these money grabs are insulting.

Dealer claims that without power flush only 80% of transmission / transfer case fluid can be drained thus they do not provide a service to simply drain and replenish the fluid. Well, I did not change the fluid at 50k.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Seriously, what is the reason for changing one's transmission fluid?

Because after 50,000 miles or 5 years it has to deteriorate. Dirt and shavings get suspended and will slowly wear your parts, too. Change out your fluids, all of them. This includes Differential fluids, too. Why change your motor oil?

I'm not recommending changing out your trans and diff fluids every 10,000 miles, but they do need to be attended to.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

Just re-read the owner's manual. Recommends changing (not flushing) the ATF at 100k intervals. Sounds reasonable to me.

Whatever works is fine.

They also recommend changing the oil every 10,000 miles or so or whenever the diagnostics tell you. It might even recommend changing the oil once a year. To each his own. I'm good with 100k on the trans, but I would have changed mine at 50k if I hadn't dropped my transmission (twice) at that mileage.

HurstGN is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS4 DI Black Raven/Ebony

Note, all fluids, that also means brake fluid should be changed. Many people omit this one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.