First time buyer, any help is much appreciated
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Which One Should I Buy?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • CTS-4

13 76.47%
  • 328xi/335xi

3 17.65%
  • C300 Benz

0 0%
  • Lexus IS

1 5.88%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, First time buyer, any help is much appreciated in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hey Everyone, Current Acura MDX owner looking to purchase a new vehicle. Have been looking at a CTS or a ...
    Steelers83186 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Looking for a CTS

First time buyer, any help is much appreciated

Hey Everyone, Current Acura MDX owner looking to purchase a new vehicle. Have been looking at a CTS or a 3 series, but am leaning more toward the CTS. I'm very concerned about the repair costs of the 3-series.

My basic buying guidelines are:
    Under $20,000
    Under 60,000 Miles
    Must have AWD
    Sedan, no coupe
    2008+ Model Year on CTS
    Automatic

Any input, help, advice, or knowledge is very much appreciated. I know the budget is a little low, but i have found a few cars local that fit the description. Still up in the air on what to do.

Thanks!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jeffc83 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury
    FWIW, I'm happy with my 08 but be warned, there are a lot of minor first year bugs with most of them. (mine has had a few itself but everything was taken care of by my dealer) Shoot for a 2009 model or if possible, a 2010. Good luck!

In my opinion, don't buy a BMW. I have read that they are high on maintenance...

Re: First time buyer, any help is much appreciated

Thanks, Found a good deal on a 2008 locally (Pittsburgh,Pa) might go look at it soon. The carfax had a few problems that were fixed through dealers, o2 sensor replaced very recently, 2-3k. and the steering knuckles replaced around 25k, I don't even know exactly what that is, but im sure its very $ through a quick google search. So Ya this 08 was worrying me.
    Also was considering a c300 or lexus IS, but the repair costs on the c300 scare me as well.

Yeah, that's what steered me away from the c300 too. If you're interested in the 08, just take it for a VERY long test drive. Listen for squeaks and rattles as some of the 08s suffer from it bad. (there are fixes posted here for just about all of them of you're a do it yourself type of person) Make sure YOU feel comfortable in the seat as some think they are pure crap. Hopefully the one you're looking at doesn't have the moonroof as they are prone to leaking from clogged drain tubes and can be noisy. (mine was repaired under warranty and has been perfect since) Also listen for any kind of vibration from the transmission although I'm not sure what that's about...mine is very quiet. Other than that, they're solid cars and the AWD matched up with the 3.6DI is VERY fun to drive...the Lexus could never match the "fun" factor of the CTS IMO.

MaxBuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 DI Blue Diamond

The Lexus IS is likely the most economical choice, and they drive nicely, but they are really tiny automobiles. It's also hard to imagine finding an AWD version for under $20k.

snofun3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS4

If you're looking under $20k at a AWD CTS you'll have an unwarranted vehicle, and probably an 08, or a no-content 09. Make sure you have a LOT of $ available for fixes. A LOT. A REAL lot.

Just read around here, it's not a pretty picture. If you want something sportier, and just a hair smaller (and for sure light years better reliability) look at a G35x.

is250sp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe Premium RWD

My previous car was a 07 Lexus is250 and in the 5+ years of ownership not even one major problem and excellent mpg. Of course that model only has 200hp so you may want to test drive the is350 with 300hp.

Quote Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
    If you're looking under $20k at a AWD CTS you'll have an unwarranted vehicle, and probably an 08, or a no-content 09. Make sure you have a LOT of $ available for fixes. A LOT. A REAL lot.

Just read around here, it's not a pretty picture. If you want something sportier, and just a hair smaller (and for sure light years better reliability) look at a G35x.
    Not to be rude but if he can still purchase the gmpp warranty, then it WILL NOT cost him a lot of dough to fix the car. Yes, some CTSs are much more prone to problems but not all of them are garage queens. On the flip side, the g35x is much more reliable. If you like that look, I'd recommend you loom at that too. My maxima was a "bad egg" so I cannot recommend it.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers83186 View Post
    Hey Everyone, Current Acura MDX owner looking to purchase a new vehicle. Have been looking at a CTS or a 3 series, but am leaning more toward the CTS. I'm very concerned about the repair costs of the 3-series.

My basic buying guidelines are:
    Under $20,000
    Under 60,000 Miles
    Must have AWD
    Sedan, no coupe
    2008+ Model Year on CTS
    Automatic

Any input, help, advice, or knowledge is very much appreciated. I know the budget is a little low, but i have found a few cars local that fit the description. Still up in the air on what to do.

Thanks!!!!!
    Hello Steelers83186,

I see you have been offered great advice from other forum members. Like jeffc83 mentioned, I also advise to take the vehicle for a test drive before you consider purchasing it. Good luck with searching for your vehicle and if there are any additional questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks For all the input.... One of the reasons I am looking to get a new (used) car is that I've had problems with my MDX, also paying way too much and can easily get a lower payment,

The one I am looking at does have the large moon-roof/sunroof that goes into the back a little.
    It also has Nav, which seems to have some problems as well.

The Size of the IS did steer me away the most, found one locally listed for just over 20,000 with AWD, Was also the most expensive choice (of whats available in the Pgh area)

For some reason I just dont really like how the g35x looks as much as the others. I'm not saying its ugly or anything, but not as appealing. however I do love Nissan products, I've owned a few and positive experiences with all. Maybe ill take a closer look though

Definitely looking for something SOMEWHAT reliable.

Appreciate all the help so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelers83186 View Post
    Thanks For all the input.... One of the reasons I am looking to get a new (used) car is that I've had problems with my MDX, also paying way too much and can easily get a lower payment,

The one I am looking at does have the large moon-roof/sunroof that goes into the back a little.
    It also has Nav, which seems to have some problems as well.

The Size of the IS did steer me away the most, found one locally listed for just over 20,000 with AWD, Was also the most expensive choice (of whats available in the Pgh area)

For some reason I just dont really like how the g35x looks as much as the others. I'm not saying its ugly or anything, but not as appealing. however I do love Nissan products, I've owned a few and positive experiences with all. Maybe ill take a closer look though

Definitely looking for something SOMEWHAT reliable.

Appreciate all the help so far!
    No problems with my NAV at all.

Agreed with the look of the g35.

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

I will reaffirm what others have said here. Do NOT get an 2008/09 without a warranty. They can be problem prone and VERY expensive to fix. From timing chains and leaking joint boots to misfires and electrical issues, you could find yourself spending a lot of money. They are nice cars but they are prone to problems pre-2010.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Steelers83186, your price limit of under $20,000 is too low in my opinion, by $5K or $6K.
    You definitely want to get a car with some warranty remaining. I think you'll get the most bang for your buck, in all respects, going with a CTS compared with the other cars you've listed. I'd recommend at least a 2010 model-year, preferably a 2011. The prices for 2010's and 2011's are not that different. Check out Cars.com, which is where I found my immaculate '11 CTS4 Premium Sedan with FE5 (the vehicle had 1,250 miles on the odo when I bought it). I'd recommend getting a Premium model, which comes with everything on it. That way you won't miss out on options & features you will later wish you had. On a quick check at Cars.com I've just spotted a 2011 CTS4 Premium Sedan with 9,187 miles for $25,997. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by RAB
    Steelers83186, your price limit of under $20,000 is too low in my opinion, by $5K or $6K.
    You definitely want to get a car with some warranty remaining. I think you'll get the most bang for your buck, in all respects, going with a CTS compared with the other cars you've listed. I'd recommend at least a 2010 model-year, preferably a 2011. The prices for 2010's and 2011's are not that different. Check out Cars.com, which is where I found my immaculate '11 CTS4 Premium Sedan with FE5 (the vehicle had 1,250 miles on the odo when I bought it). I'd recommend getting a Premium model, which comes with everything on it. That way you won't miss out on options & features you will later wish you had. On a quick check at Cars.com I've just spotted a 2011 CTS4 Premium Sedan with 9,187 miles for $25,997. Good luck in your search.
    RAB, where is that 2011 at!? lol, that's cheap!?

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    RAB, where is that 2011 at!? lol, that's cheap!?
    Hi Jeffc83. Yes, it is cheap. The car is in Salt Lake City, UT. Here's the link: http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
    Hmm... might you be interested?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.