Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 2008 AWD 3.6 DI CTS, that I took in for an oil change and was notified that ...
    dlav63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak

I have a 2008 AWD 3.6 DI CTS, that I took in for an oil change and was notified that oil was leaking from the timing chain cover. It was very minor so I didn't get it fixed then but decided to take it back in a week later so no bigger issues pop up. I've been quoted at 1600.00 to fix the leak, I asked service if they are able to check the timing chain while that is being done. He said yes and that if there is any damage to the chain it would be much cheaper to repair since they will already have the engine out. I was thinking to myself after the fact that if there was damage wouldn't it be covered under the special warranty extension of 12 years 120,000 miles on the timing chain? I have 95k miles but my powertrain is up due to it being over the five year mark. I bought the car used back in 2010 and I'm not sure what all service work has been done on it, is there anyway to check and see if its had any timing issues before? Any feedback is greatly appreciate and thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Timing Chain Cover Oil Leak

Your dealer should be able to check to see if that timing chain issue was done. Also, I'm not sure if the Cadillac support people can do that or not, Laura and Gregory.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by dlav63
    I have a 2008 AWD 3.6 DI CTS, that I took in for an oil change and was notified that oil was leaking from the timing chain cover. It was very minor so I didn't get it fixed then but decided to take it back in a week later so no bigger issues pop up. I've been quoted at 1600.00 to fix the leak, I asked service if they are able to check the timing chain while that is being done. He said yes and that if there is any damage to the chain it would be much cheaper to repair since they will already have the engine out. I was thinking to myself after the fact that if there was damage wouldn't it be covered under the special warranty extension of 12 years 120,000 miles on the timing chain? I have 95k miles but my powertrain is up due to it being over the five year mark. I bought the car used back in 2010 and I'm not sure what all service work has been done on it, is there anyway to check and see if its had any timing issues before? Any feedback is greatly appreciate and thanks in advance.
    Apparently the timing chain cover on my CTS started to leak when it only had 14K miles on her. I didn't even notice it, the dealer did when I went in for an oil change. I don't know what the cost was, but the SM acknowledged it was a big job. Not sure they need to pull the engine to do it though.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by dlav63 View Post
    Hello dlav63,

If you provided me with your VIN, I would be happy to look into your warranty and special coverage for you. I could also contact the dealer on your behalf and inquire about the special coverage with your service advisor. If that’s something you would like me to do, please message me your name, contact info, VIN, and dealership you are working with. Regarding the past service history, Laura or I am not able to discuss past service history that has been done on the vehicle. I would have to direct you to the dealership concerning that. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

dlav63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Thanks for the replies, Gregory, PM sent.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.