Drone getting louder with speed.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Drone getting louder with speed. in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I drive a 2010 AWD 3.6 wagon. Today, I noticed a drone that seemed to originate in the rear of ...
    Stoneybroke is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS AWD Sportwagon

Drone getting louder with speed.

I drive a 2010 AWD 3.6 wagon. Today, I noticed a drone that seemed to originate in the rear of the car. First thought it was tire noise, but got onto some new, perfectly smooth pavement and the noise was still
    there. It was quite obvious at 55mph and almost a howl at 75. No vibration and ride and steering seemed normal. Ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jschmank is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 Silver CTS AWD

Re: Drone getting louder with speed.

wheel bearing possibly.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

How old are your tires? They can sometimes cause the loud drone as they wear down. Depends on the tread pattern. While I don't believe this is the cause it is a consideration. Wheel bearing issue first, differential second, driveshaft or u-joint, pavement.

sdobert is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-4
    I had this same issue a few months back on the right rear and took it into the dealer. They found that it was a wheel bearing. They replaced the entire hub and fixes the problem.

37K on the tires. Time to call my dealer. Thankfully, car is certified.

If you have the OEM tires I doubt that is the problem. I had some PS2's that got worn down and THEY WERE LOUD.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneybroke View Post
    I drive a 2010 AWD 3.6 wagon. Today, I noticed a drone that seemed to originate in the rear of the car...
    The good thing is the President is also trying to get rid of Drones on a daily basis, so maybe between the two of you it can get figured out.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

It has all the classic signs of a wheel bearing especially since you are not getting ride feedback.
    By the way I bet you are glad to be up there. It's been in the 90's everyday with a heat index above 100. Combined with heavy rain every afternoon. Say hi and I hope you get your problem resolved with no problems.

Humidity? What humidity? We don't have no stinking humidity!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

I drive a 2010 AWD 3.6 wagon. Today, I noticed a drone that seemed to originate in the rear of the car. First thought it was tire noise, but got onto some new, perfectly smooth pavement and the noise was still
    there. It was quite obvious at 55mph and almost a howl at 75. No vibration and ride and steering seemed normal. Ideas?
    Hello Stoneybroke,

I see you are looking to contact your dealership in regards of this issue you are experiencing. If you would like me to stay involved throughout the process, please let me know. I can be reached via private message. Keep me informed with the outcome of your situation and if it is able to be fixed.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service
    CadiOne likes this.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

I drive a 2010 AWD 3.6 wagon. Today, I noticed a drone that seemed to originate in the rear of the car. It was quite obvious at 55mph and almost a howl at 75. No vibration and ride and steering seemed normal. Ideas?
    I had a Tbird that did that. The dealer even took the dif apart looking for it. The factory rep found it, a badly mounted exhaust shield hanging in the undercar airstream.

Dealer replaced the right rear hub/bearing assembly today under warranty. All is well. First real mechanical problem I've had.

typo681 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS

I had the same problem with my CTS a few weeks ago. Drone/Hum from right rear wheel from 40-80mph. No vibration. Took it in and it was also the wheel bearing (covered under my GM Protection Plan).

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Dealer replaced the right rear hub/bearing assembly today under warranty. All is well. First real mechanical problem I've had.
    Hi Stoneybroke,

Glad to hear the dealer was able to replace the part and solve your issue. If there are any other issues or problems that arise, don't hesitate to reach out to us.

Regards,

Laura M.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by typo681 View Post
    I had the same problem with my CTS a few weeks ago. Drone/Hum from right rear wheel from 40-80mph. No vibration. Took it in and it was also the wheel bearing (covered under my GM Protection Plan).
    Hello typo681,

I am happy to hear you were able to get your vehicle issue diagnosed and fixed by the dealership. Don't hesitate to contact us in the near future if any other problems or concerns come up.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    CadiOne likes this.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

I will need new tires soon. I'm still running the OEM Michelin Pilot 17" since new. Almost 60,000 miles.
    Last week, I noticed that I hear a drone coming from the rear end of the car, more noticeable at higher speed. Based on this thread and few others, it could be a wheel bearing, the drive shaft...? I might also be suspecting a tire, since I have about 4 or 5/32 thread left. Do tires become louder as they wear? I would think yes, but just want your opinions guys!

Anyway, I might have this checked sometime next week, as if it is a bearing or drive shaft, the powertrain warranty should cover it, right?

I had a set of PS2's. When they wore down they were the loudest tires I ever owned.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.