Drone getting louder with speed. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Drone getting louder with speed. in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I see this is an older post but if anyone can help it would be great! My 2010 CTSV has ...
    Danmc is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTSV

Re: Drone getting louder with speed.

I see this is an older post but if anyone can help it would be great! My 2010 CTSV has the same issue. The car was brought in and I was told it was a right rear wheel bearing. After the replacement the noise is still there. Originally,I thought the noise was coming from the drivers side but who am I to tell a professional their job I guess. Anyway,I was told that parts would have to be changed one by one to solve the issue. Should I just have the other bearing replaced and hope for the best?

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

I certainly would have the other bearing replaced. If it's not that, at least you would have gotten two new bearings!

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Danmc View Post
    I see this is an older post but if anyone can help it would be great! My 2010 CTSV has the same issue. The car was brought in and I was told it was a right rear wheel bearing. After the replacement the noise is still there. Originally,I thought the noise was coming from the drivers side but who am I to tell a professional their job I guess. Anyway,I was told that parts would have to be changed one by one to solve the issue. Should I just have the other bearing replaced and hope for the best?
    Hello Danmc,

I am sorry you are experiencing a noise issue. I understand your hesitation to have the other bearing replaced if it doesn't solve the issue. However, if this is something the dealer recommended, I would have this performed. If you would like to further discuss your situation with Gregory or I, please contact us via private message. We can also help with any additional concerns or questions.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    CadiOne likes this.

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by like2drive View Post
    I will need new tires soon. I'm still running the OEM Michelin Pilot 17" since new. Almost 60,000 miles.
    Last week, I noticed that I hear a drone coming from the rear end of the car, more noticeable at higher speed. Based on this thread and few others, it could be a wheel bearing, the drive shaft...? I might also be suspecting a tire, since I have about 4 or 5/32 thread left. Do tires become louder as they wear? I would think yes, but just want your opinions guys!

Anyway, I might have this checked sometime next week, as if it is a bearing or drive shaft, the powertrain warranty should cover it, right?
    Had the rear groan noise checked by my dealer yesterday. They found out that it was the right rear bearing. They replaced it right away and it was covered under the powertrain warranty. This is the second bearing replaced on my car. So far, the front right and rear right bearings have been replaced. Is this a common problem on the 2nd gen CTS?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Only if you continue to take left hand sweepers at high speed, Mr. Vettel.

Twentybucks is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Luxury Black Raven

Yes, there is a service bulletin out on wheel bearing assemblies having an incorrect bearing installed during manufacturing. Also drive shafts can be a problem. I had a vibration/drone/hum problem on my 2010 CTS4 and they wound up replacing the rear driveshaft and a seal. New rear driveshaft no more problems.

DarienA is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS 3.6

Mostly lurk around these parts. I Purchased a 2010 CTS in June that I'm absolutely in love with. Short time afterwards I noticed this droning sound rising and falling with wheel speed in the rear. Searching in the forums found the wheel bearing mentions. Took the car in to have it looked at last week. Drivers side wheel bearing replaced. All good back to being silent.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Silence is golden.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by DarienA View Post
    Mostly lurk around these parts. I Purchased a 2010 CTS in June that I'm absolutely in love with. Short time afterwards I noticed this droning sound rising and falling with wheel speed in the rear. Searching in the forums found the wheel bearing mentions. Took the car in to have it looked at last week. Drivers side wheel bearing replaced. All good back to being silent.
    Hello DarienA,

Thank you for providing this information. I apologize you experienced a droning sound with your vehicle. I am glad you were able to bring your vehicle in and they replaced the drivers side wheel bearing which fixed your issue. If additional concerns or questions arise, please contact us via private message so we can assist. Continue to enjoy your CTS!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.