Rear End Shutter in an AWD CTS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Rear End Shutter in an AWD CTS in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have a 2008 CTS4 3.6L . It is AWD and when you accelerate, it has a shutter that seems ...
    crossbow11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4

Rear End Shutter in an AWD CTS

I have a 2008 CTS4 3.6L . It is AWD and when you accelerate, it has a shutter that seems to come from the rear end about the time that the cars shifts from 1st to second. It doesn't seem to have that problem in manual mode. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

exm22psu is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS DI AWD Premium

Re: Rear End Shutter in an AWD CTS

Is it under WOT? If so, mine does to, because it's loosing grip in the shift.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by crossbow11 View Post
    I have a 2008 CTS4 3.6L . It is AWD and when you accelerate, it has a shutter that seems to come from the rear end about the time that the cars shifts from 1st to second. It doesn't seem to have that problem in manual mode. Any ideas?
    Hello crossbow11,

I apologize that you are experiencing a concern in the rear end of your CTS when you accelerate from first to second. I do see that you are asking the community for any ideas, but if you are interested in taking your CTS to a dealership for a diagnosis, I would be happy to assist you in working with them. If that is the route you would like to pursue, please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage and dealership you would like to work with. Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

I wonder if it's a rear u-joint?

JackB is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD DI

This is a little differn't than you describe but my 09 AWD DI had an issue with the driveshaft hitting the tunnel on hard acceleration. In my case it was a real racket not a small shudder. It was fixed under a warranty TSB. Just wanted you to be aware just in case it might be a minor case of that problem.

Michael_atDell is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS 3.6L DI AWD
    You have the TSB #? Mine started doing this last week...

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by crossbow11 View Post
    Crossbow11, the issue you describe may mean you need to have shims installed at the CV Joint of your drive shaft (aka prop shaft) assembly. Note the prop shaft will rotate in an elliptical (non-concentric) manner at times of high torque, and a section of your prop shaft assembly may sometimes be contacting the tunnel /underside of your vehicle. Below is a simplified drawing of the prop shaft assembly. Your dealer should be able to confirm whether the prop shaft has been making contact with the vehicle's underside, and then apply the appropriate fix - which is typically a shimming job at the CV Joint. From historical comment on the forum this particular problem seems to occur only on '08 and '09 CTS's equipped with AWD.

Service Information
    2008 Cadillac CTS | CTS VIN D Service Manual
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #PIP4597: Rumble Thumping Grinding Ground Out Noise On Acceleration - keywords 4477 AWD bearing body case center clunk drive driveline grind prop propeller rear rumble scrape shaft shim suspension thump - (Mar 12, 2009)
    Subject: Rumble, Thumping, Grinding, Ground Out Noise on Acceleration

Models: 2008-2009 Cadillac CTS with AWD
    Built Prior to Vin 90144280

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
    A thumping noise may be heard from under the vehicle on acceleration. Inspection of the vehicle may reveal witness marks on the rear drive shaft and the under body of the vehicle.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    1. Wrap 1 layer of masking tape around the CV joint just forward of the center bearing and drive the vehicle under the same conditions to determine if the noise is from this area. If the tape shows evidence of contacting the floor pan, proceed to step 2.
    2. Lower the rear propeller shaft center bearing and inspect for the presence of shims. If no shims are present, proceed to step 3.
    3. Install (1) 6MM shim under each side of the rear propeller shaft center bearing. The rear of the prop-shaft must be match mounted with the rear differential to avoid driveline vibration. To do this the yellow mark on the rear flange of the prop-shaft must be lined up (or as close as possible) to the orange mark on the rear differential pinion flange.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

99flhr likes this.

Is that covered under power train warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_atDell View Post
    You have the TSB #? Mine started doing this last week...
    Hello Michael_atDell,

I am sorry to hear that your CTS just starting to experience this issue with the shutter in the back end. If you would like me to speak to the dealership on your behalf about this, please private message me and I would be happy to assist you. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

csudhoff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Did you have any luck with getting this resolved?

Mine just stopped; did it about a week and stopped as suddenly as it started...

csudhoff is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Starting to see this with mine as well.... so odd! Noticed that if i use the cruise control it happens less as well.

Quote Originally Posted by csudhoff View Post
    Starting to see this with mine as well.... so odd! Noticed that if i use the cruise control it happens less as well.
    Hello csudhoff,

I am sorry to hear your vehicle is experiencing a rear end shutter also. If you private message me, I am more than happy to discuss your concerns and work towards a resolution for this issue.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

syeager is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Got a 09 cts-4 that the same thing is happening to. It's going under the knife tomorrow..... Will let ya know what the experts say about it. Kinda interested to hear their take on it now that I have read this forum!

Mine started up again end of last week and continued until it became quite violent on Friday. Called the dealer and they recommended making sure all bolts are torqued to spec, other than that I'd need to replace the shaft.

Crawled under yesterday and checked all bolts; two in center support bracket were slightly loose, torqued to no avail.

Couldn't have come at a worse time (financially), maybe it's a warranty repair...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.