08 CTS Engine Light....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 08 CTS Engine Light.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have an '08 CTS, 41,000 miles and engine light came on. All my gauges are good, as far as ...
    lvdw55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, SUNSET BLUE

08 CTS Engine Light....

I have an '08 CTS, 41,000 miles and engine light came on. All my gauges are good, as far as the temperature, oil, RPM, etc. Can anyone tell me if this maybe just a general maintenace alert? I've never had it come on before and the car seems to be running well. I recently lost my job and cannot run it into the garage, especially if it's just a general maintenance light. I am bothered by the fact that it's never come on before. Your help appreciated and I apologize if I did not post in proper forum.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

Re: 08 CTS Engine Light....

a check engine light wouldn't come on as a "general maintenance alert" any aamco, pepboys, autozone, decent garage will hook up a scanner to your car and tell you what the code is for free, and then from there you can decide how much of a hurry it is for you to get it in the garage to be fixed, depending on what the code is. good luck

Thanks for quick response! Going to Sears and hopefully they'll do the scan free, if not I'll try one of the stores you mentioned. Much appreciated.

NO LUCK! Sears couldn't check it and when I called Pep Boys they want $100 for a diagnostic check. Guy at Sears suggested to take gas cap off and put back on, which I did, but light remains on. He also suggest a fuel injection additive??? I'm lost Any other suggestions/help? Thanks

arw1510 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS 3.6, 2004 SRX 4.6 AWD, 2012 CTS 3.6 DI AWD

That's crazy. You could buy a cheap code reader online for less than half of that. I wouldn't bother with the additive. Its probably nothing drastic if you don't feel a difference in the driving. but the range of items the check engine light covers are so varied that you can never tell why its on without looking up the code. and usually the first step with that is to clear the code, and then go back to driving and see if the check engine light comes back on. It could be anything from a misfire, to a faulty sensor somewhere, to poor emissions. I would try some other shops and see what they say. Here in NY all those kind of shops advertise for free check engine light checks, and even if they don't I would hassle with them until they did it. even your little gas station shop should have the tool and be able to tell you what the code is

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

The first thing you should do is to read the Federal Emissions portion of your Owners Manual. Your car should be covered under that Warranty! I would take the car to a Cadillac dealer and have it checked out. It might even be covered under the B2B warranty too. Send a private message to Laura at Cad Cust Service with your VIN number and she can pull up your warranty coverage.

Good Luck, Marv

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by lvdw55 View Post
    I have an '08 CTS, 41,000 miles and engine light came on. All my gauges are good, as far as the temperature, oil, RPM, etc. Can anyone tell me if this maybe just a general maintenace alert? I've never had it come on before and the car seems to be running well. I recently lost my job and cannot run it into the garage, especially if it's just a general maintenance light. I am bothered by the fact that it's never come on before. Your help appreciated and I apologize if I did not post in proper forum.
    Hello lvdw55,

I apologize that your check engine light has illuminated. I would be happy to double check your warranty coverage like Tbbt has stated. If you could just private message me your VIN, I will be able to check that for you. I could also call around and see what the diagnostic fees are for some of the dealerships around you, if you would like. Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I will be looking for your message.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

sbudaj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Blue Chip AWD 3.6DI FE2

I am having the same issue with my 08 CTS. I took it to Meinke where they will check the engine light for free. They said it is an 02 (oxygen) sensor. Car is running perfectly fine. No loss in mileage or any other issues. Dealer says it will cost around $500 to replace. I am not doing anything until it starts to act differently.

wmillar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS
    Reset the code by taking the ground of the battery for a few minutes.

sbudaj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS Blue Chip AWD 3.6DI FE2

Quote Originally Posted by wmillar View Post
    Reset the code by taking the ground of the battery for a few minutes.
    They actually reset the code for me. It went off for a while, but came back on.

Sorry for the delay.....and thanks to all for input. I was taking it to AutoZone, where they were going to do a free scan. As I pulled out of the garage and looked, engine light was off. I was relieved and assume it was gas cap. After checking gas cap, the light was still on so I didn't think that was the problem. However, it must have taken some time to reset?? and it went off. Thank you all...greatly appreciated!

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Generally after three restarts the light will go off and store the code into the ECM. If the condition reoccurs again it will send another check engine light.

It's back! Yes, the engine light is back on after 9 days. I took it to AutoZone and came back with code P0017. Says: 'detected the crank sensor is not alligned with cam sensor'. Probable cause: (1) intermittent connection (2) failed crank or cam sensor (3) engine mechanical condition. Any suggestions? How urgent should I react? Estimate to fix probable cause? Car still seems to be running fine. Also, to correct my orginal post; car has 46,000 miles. Again, your replies are much appreciated. Thanks

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

What did the dealer say about the emissions warranty?

I haven't taken it to the dealer, but I did direct message Cadillac Customer Service (see post #7) with my VIN number. I assume this will be my next step. Losing my job really makes things different! I would have just taken it to the dealer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.