08 CTS Engine Light.... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 08 CTS Engine Light.... in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; lvdw55 - let's see.. you have a 2008 CTS with 46,000 miles, the CEL (check engine light) is illuminating and ...
    RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Re: 08 CTS Engine Light....

lvdw55 - let's see.. you have a 2008 CTS with 46,000 miles, the CEL (check engine light) is illuminating and DTC (diagnostic trouble code) "P0017" is being thrown. As has happened to several others here, I bet the issue on your car is with the timing chain - it is stretching.
    There's much written about the issue in this forum. No doubt your "5 yr/100,000 mile, whichever comes first" powertrain warranty has expired on your '08, however you'll be happy to know GM has put into place a special/extended warranty for timing chain issues on '07 to '09 model year CTS's. Ref this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ing-chain.html
    The special warranty lasts for 10 years from the original service date or 120,000 miles, whichever comes first.
    As info, rather than tear apart your engine at this time, the dealer, per a GM instruction/directive, may elect to simply reprogram your ECM (engine control module) that will essentially allow a greater amount of timing chain stretch to occur in your engine before a CEL is thrown. This reprogramming may or may not have been already done on your car - there was a recall in 2011 - ref this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...in-recall.html
    Whatever they end up doing for you the special warranty should cover it, assuming of course the issue you face is timing chain related.

lvdw55 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS, SUNSET BLUE

Thanks, RAB. I just looked in my file and I have a letter (no date on it) that states 'Recently, you took your vehicle to your dealer to have Customer Satisfaction Program 10287 perfomed. Your dealer reprogrammed the engine control module to prevent premature wear of the timing chain and the illumination of the Sevice Engine Soon Light. Further analysis has shown that the reprogramming may not fully correct this condition for all vehicles; we, therefore, are providing you with additonal protection for the timing chain.'.....

So does this mean I had the 'supposed' problem corrected?

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Quote Originally Posted by lvdw55 View Post
    Thanks, RAB.
    --------------------------------
    So does this mean I had the 'supposed' problem corrected?
    No problem lvdw55.
    Well no, it means the reprogramming was performed to allow the car's engine management system to tolerate a greater amount of timing chain wear (stretch). So step 1 in the process, reprogramming the ECM, has already been performed. As was mentioned in the letter you received, "Further analysis has shown that the reprogramming may not fully correct this condition for all vehicles; we, therefore, are providing you with additional protection for the timing chain.".....
    It is possible that your engine timing chain needs to be replaced, assuming of course the core issue you face is with the timing chain.

Here's some general info regarding DTC P0017:

Symptoms of a P0017 will or may include:
    - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination (i.e. CEL)
    - The engine may run but with reduced performance
    - The engine may crank but not start
    - The engine may exhibit a rattle near the harmonic balancer indicating the tone ring is damaged
    - The engine may start and run, but poorly

Causes of a P0017 may include:
    - Timing chain stretched, or timing belt skipped a tooth due to wear
    - Misalignment of timing belt/chain
    - Tone ring on crankshaft slipped/broken
    - Tone ring on camshaft slipped/broken
    - Bad crank sensor
    - Bad cam sensor
    - Damaged wiring to crank/cam sensor
    - Timing belt/chain tensioner damaged
    - An improperly torqued crankshaft balancer
    - A mis-built or mis-timed engine
    - A loose or missing crankshaft balancer bolt
    - The CMP actuator solenoid stuck open
    - The CMP actuator stuck in a position other than 0 degrees

Again, much thanks RAB. I did get a direct reply back from the Customer Service gentleman I replied to with my VIN. My emmissions is still under warranty and several other things. I am clueless to the mechanics of an automobile! Looks like I'll have to take it into the dealer. Hard to imagine anything major, since car is running well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

ENGINE LIGHT NO LONGER ON! Let's see how long it stays off. Sure is puzzling.

hax
    hax is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I've got a P0017 on my 08 CTS with 60000km (33,000 miles). Do anybody know if this extended timing chain warranty applies to Europe as well (I'm in Sweden)?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Just because the CEL is no longer displaying the code it is most likely still there. After three restarts the CEL resets and the code is no longer displayed. There are two types of codes, hard codes and soft codes. The hard codes like yours stay in the ECM or BCM and can be pulled by the dealer for further inspection. Soft codes are one time events that usually do not effect the operation of the car and may or may not store. I recently asked to have the codes cleared from my ECM as I had had two warnings. The dealer found three codes stored, none of which applied to anything requiring repair. There was even a code for power seat memory and I don't even have memory seats. The point is that it appears it will be covered, so take it in and have whatever it is repaired. It's better than getting stranded somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    Just because the CEL is no longer displaying the code it is most likely still there. After three restarts the CEL resets and the code is no longer displayed. There are two types of codes, hard codes and soft codes. The hard codes like yours stay in the ECM or BCM and can be pulled by the dealer for further inspection. Soft codes are one time events that usually do not effect the operation of the car and may or may not store. I recently asked to have the codes cleared from my ECM as I had had two warnings. The dealer found three codes stored, none of which applied to anything requiring repair. There was even a code for power seat memory and I don't even have memory seats. The point is that it appears it will be covered, so take it in and have whatever it is repaired. It's better than getting stranded somewhere.
    Thanks....you're right, the light is back ON! Seems like I have no alternative but to take it in.

Thanks for your post.

Quote Originally Posted by hax View Post
    I've got a P0017 on my 08 CTS with 60000km (33,000 miles). Do anybody know if this extended timing chain warranty applies to Europe as well (I'm in Sweden)?
    That's what I'm dealing with now, hax. I had the same code and light would go off and then come back on. I'm going to have to take it

On way to garage... Hope I don't get ripped!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

That's what I'm dealing with now, hax. I had the same code and light would go off and then come back on. I'm going to have to take it

On way to garage... Hope I don't get ripped!
    Hello lvdw55,

Please keep us updated on the situation and if you need any further assistance in working with the dealership, please be sure to private message us back. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello lvdw55,

Please keep us updated on the situation and if you need any further assistance in working with the dealership, please be sure to private message us back. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    Thanks, Greg.....dropped it off and they were kind to give me a loaner to use until something's known.

Hello lvdw55,

I am happy to hear that you received a loaner vehicle! What vehicle did they loan you? Thank you for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello lvdw55,

I am happy to hear that you received a loaner vehicle! What vehicle did they loan you? Thank you for keeping us updated!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care
    A beautiful, 2013, Black, CTS. It's a 'sweet' ride! Love it!!! Might not give it back.

A beautiful, 2013, Black, CTS. It's a 'sweet' ride! Love it!!! Might not give it back.
    Sounds like a great vehicle! I hope you enjoy driving it around. I will be looking for your future updates. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post!

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Just brought my car home and happy as a pig in mud! THANK YOU Laura, Gregory, and Reggie at Cadillac Customer Service and CADILLAC OF LAS VEGAS, WEST, notably Mr. Ellis. From start, with the loaner, to finish, COMPLETE satisfaction thus far. I must say I was mostly thinking this was going to be an expensive, very negative experience, but completely to the contrary. Oh, I forget to mention....it was the timing chain and NO out of pocket expense to me. THANKS to all that posted here with helpful information and, again, the above mentioned. CADILLAC ROCKS! The loaner has me thinking.....it was nice! Loved the Black Diamond color. Swore I'd never own another black car here in the desert. Had one previously and was difficult to keep clean (definitely not nice if they're not kept clean). Not only from the dust, but the water spots 'baking' in the paint from the extreme sun.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.