Rain Gremlins
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Rain Gremlins in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Just finished a ten day vacation trip up the East Coast (got 22.45 mpg) and had a few strange encounters ...
    Chris Pelkey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS Blue Diamond 3.6L DI AWD

Rain Gremlins

Just finished a ten day vacation trip up the East Coast (got 22.45 mpg) and had a few strange encounters during/after rain storms. The first one was the passenger side mirror went into the back up tilt mode sometime after I shut the car off. That happened for two days in a row after some heavy rain. Once the weather cleared up the problem went away. The next problem was with the navigation system. During a heavy rain storm the voice command just stopped broadcasting - the radio worked but the nav voice just went away. I went into the system and found the volume for the voice was pegged all the way to the highest volume. I checked a few other things and couldn't fix the problem so I went back to the volume control and backed it off and the voice started broadcasting again. I guess the moisture must have caused both problems because they haven't occurred since. Of course I was in Salem....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: Rain Gremlins

You don't have DirecTV. I say this because in heavy rains it "goes out" and "pixelates". The dish can't receive the signal from the satellite because there is too much interference between the signal (the satellite in the sky) and the receiver (the dish on the ground). In the case of our cars, the nav gets its signal from a fixed position satellite orbiting about 20,000 miles overhead. The satellite signal can't get through to that little shark fin antenna on your car. I don't think rain caused your nav to discorporate.

As for the side mirror, yes, I think that was moisture related.

I do have Directv so I'm familiar with that problem. The issue I had was that the volume control was maxed out and was not at the halfway point where I originally had it. The nav system was still working but just didn't have the voice commands. Once I moved the volume off max the voice came back. So I guess I believed the system somehow caused the voice volume to peg at full volume which rendered it useless.

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pelkey
    I do have Directv so I'm familiar with that problem. The issue I had was that the volume control was maxed out and was not at the halfway point where I originally had it. The nav system was still working but just didn't have the voice commands. Once I moved the volume off max the voice came back. So I guess I believed the system somehow caused the voice volume to peg at full volume which rendered it useless.
    Could you maybe by accident have turned it up using the steering wheel controls. I have done that in my coupe. I usually want to turn up my radio and as I do the GPS kicks in and it will start to increase the voice commands.

Also did you happen to notice if in the top corner. I believe the left side corner there was a GPS with a line through it sign. It comes up when it looses signal but the GPS still moves. Iv noticed that while driving under bridges etc.

That is a possibility although I don't use the steering wheel controls to turn up the radio. My wife and I were switching off every two hours on the driving and it could have been done inadvertently. I'll have to try it under normal conditions to see if I can replicate the same results. Good idea, thanks.

Pdabs is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS4
    Ya, sometimes when I want to turn the volume of the radio down while nav voice kicks in I end up turning down the nav and not the radio.

Jagillac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Pelkey
    That is a possibility although I don't use the steering wheel controls to turn up the radio. My wife and I were switching off every two hours on the driving and it could have been done inadvertently. I'll have to try it under normal conditions to see if I can replicate the same results. Good idea, thanks.
    The same thing will happen if you use the knob at the wrong time. Hope that helps.

All part of the learning process...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.