Steering Power Train
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Steering Power Train in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I recently purchased a 2012 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon. I have 2 questions. When transmission is in sport mode I ...
    Mtneer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): cts sport wagon

Steering Power Train

I recently purchased a 2012 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon. I have 2 questions.

When transmission is in sport mode I notice it downshirting while I am coasting downhill. Is that normal?

Second, when steering is turned to the lock at slow speeds, engine seems to hesitate and it feels like something is not right. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Re: Steering Power Train

^ Second question, I`m guessing that by applying more pressure @ full lock you are dead heading the p/s pump, this increases the load for the engine and slows it down. Perhaps easing up on the wheel will solve this problem, certainly won`t turn any tighter because you push the wheel harder. JMO

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Whenever I turn my wheel to a (right or left) full lock position I immediately back it off a quarter turn so this load doesn't occur. It is a habit to never keep it fully locked for more that a second at the most.

Sport mode shouldn't just downshift going down a hill. It will do this, however, if you have had it in sportmode and have "hot dogged" it and then backed off and then gone down the hill. Here the trans is merely "getting ready" to engage in more sporting/ready mode for spirited driving (or competition, if-you-will). But if you have merely been driving like your granny and then it downshifts, then that wouldn't be normal.

----------

Whenever I turn my wheel to a (right or left) full lock position I immediately back it off a quarter turn so this load doesn't occur. It is a habit to never keep it fully locked for more that a second at the most.

Sport mode shouldn't just downshift going down a hill. It will do this, however, if you have had it in sportmode and have "hot dogged" it and then backed off and then gone down the hill. Here the trans is merely "getting ready" to engage in more sporting/ready mode for spirited driving (or competition, if-you-will). But if you have merely been driving like your granny and then it downshifts, then that wouldn't be normal.

Tbbt is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem Wagon-Diamond White-Cashmere

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong (no worry there), but there are 3 different shift patterns in out CTS. Normal = keep it in drive and let the trans seek out the fastest way to get to 6th gear, Sport mode = nudge the shifter to the right and the trans works as normal, but in a more sporty gear change, Manual = nudge the shift lever to the right and then up or down and you are in a manual mode where you have control of the transmission versus the TCM's (transmission control module) choices.

Soooooo..........there are many ways to shift in our CTS cars. Enjoy and choose what gear you like! Your MPG will vary depending on your choices!

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post

----------

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtneer View Post
    I recently purchased a 2012 CTS4 Performance Sport Wagon. I have 2 questions.

When transmission is in sport mode I notice it downshirting while I am coasting downhill. Is that normal?

Second, when steering is turned to the lock at slow speeds, engine seems to hesitate and it feels like something is not right. Any ideas? Thanks.
    Hello Mtneer,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are enjoying your CTS Sport Wagon! I see other members already provided you with advice of your questions. I am unable to provide any technical advice because I am not a certified technician. If there are questions or concerns you would like to further discuss, I can do my best to help. I can be reached via private message or at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

You have it correctly, Marv. Standard automatic (D). Sportmode (shows just the gear you are in). And what I call manumatic where you row through the gears and your tach cluster shows both the gear you are in along with a red "M" below the gear you are in.

Laura:

I am enjoying my Sport Wagon. I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I'm there.

Laura:

I am enjoying my Sport Wagon. I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I'm there.
    Thanks for the update Mtneer. Reach out to us if there is anything you have questions or concerns with in the future.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Took car to dealer today.They gave me a GM bulletin that described my problem perfectly. The bulletin indicated that this was a normal characteristic of car.

Does GM ever issue a fix for these types of things? Dealer also answered some questions and is going to fix a defect. Overall I was happy with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello Mtneer,

Welcome to the forum and I hope you are enjoying your CTS Sport Wagon! I see other members already provided you with advice of your questions. I am unable to provide any technical advice because I am not a certified technician. If there are questions or concerns you would like to further discuss, I can do my best to help. I can be reached via private message or at socialmedia@gm.com.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

Took car to dealer today.They gave me a GM bulletin that described my problem perfectly. The bulletin indicated that this was a normal characteristic of car.

Does GM ever issue a fix for these types of things? Dealer also answered some questions and is going to fix a defect. Overall I was happy with experience.

Mtneer,

It's good that you went in - this visit is documented in the dealer's database and can be referred to in the future should anything arise. It's good to hear that it's considered a normal characteristic of the vehicle's operation - do you feel more confident in your CTS after the visit?

These bulletins are developed with our technicians in mind and are aimed at providing up to date service information. They generally will provide a correction to a specific product problem and usually contain repair procedures, information on part numbers and availability, and warranty labor code information. In this instance, the bulletin may have described the condition that has been observed on the particular model of vehicle and states that it is a normal characteristic.

Regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Laura)

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): CTS

Does GM ever issue a fix for these types of things? .
    If we are talking about your p/steering issue it`s also a normal characteristic of hydraulic systems in general, hold a control lever on anything till the cylinder reaches it`s mechanical limit (" stroke") You are deadheading the pump. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Mtneer

It's good that you went in - this visit is documented in the dealer's database and can be referred to in the future should anything arise. It's good to hear that it's considered a normal characteristic of the vehicle's operation - do you feel more confident in your CTS after the visit?

These bulletins are developed with our technicians in mind and are aimed at providing up to date service information. They generally will provide a correction to a specific product problem and usually contain repair procedures, information on part numbers and availability, and warranty labor code information. In this instance, the bulletin may have described the condition that has been observed on the particular model of vehicle and states that it is a normal characteristic.

Regards,
    Sarah (Assisting Laura)
    Yes, I am more confident. I am pleased with dealer treatment. Thanks.

Yes, I am more confident. I am pleased with dealer treatment. Thanks.
    Hi Mtneer,

Glad to hear you are pleased with the dealer treatment. If any other concerns or questions arise, don't hesitate to reach out to us!

Laura M.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.