Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dealership Tech rant or maybe I just expect to much out of people working on my car

20K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
G
#1 ·
Prior to my Oil change my CTS started showing obnoxiously loud and annoying front seat squeaks and a slight rattle in the back of the headliner.
My b.f. said no big deal the slight rattle in the headliner may have been from the moon roof harness coming undone he thought he remembered a bulletin put out about it and the seat squeaks probably just needed some lube and to tell the service adviser when I went in for my oil change.
I mentioned it to the service adviser they said they would take care of it and gave me some ATS loaners to play with since I was window shopping ATS's.

I got my usual daily reports on the progress, Front Driver side seat just needed some lube, Passenger seat needs a new frame.
The Moon roof frame cracked the tech replaced it and I guess damaged the motor in the process so they had to order and replace that to.
No problem to me as long as everything is fixed.

I go back drop off the ATS turbo and they pull my car up to the front door since it was after the service department was closed for the day.
I go to get in my car and there is a couple inch square patch of scratches on my driver side door and I look at the moon roof and the front of it is sticking up about an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch higher than the roof of the car.
And the rear of moon roof is sitting about a 1/4 of an inch below the roof of the car at the center.

Having washed my car about 100 times I knew for a fact that it used to sit perfectly flush with the entire roof of the car.
So I drive my CTS over to the other CTS's on the lot to compare how the moon roof's looked on those.
All of the brand new ones were flush just like mine used to be and a few of the used ones had some slight sag or sat a tiny bit below the roof of the car.
No where near as bad as mine.

So I figure I will just let my b.f. inspect it and see what he has to say when he see's it when I get home.
I get on the Jersey Turnpike and get up to speed and all I can hear is the loudest wind noise coming from the back of the car.
Made sure all of the windows were up, moon roof was closed.
Then I pulled off at the first rest stop to make sure all of the doors were closed and they were.

I get home it is almost dark my b.f. takes a look at it and instantly says that the moon roof isn't properly aligned or adjusted to the proper GM spec's and that since it isn't properly aligned it is causing wind turbulence on the roof of the car and that is what I am hearing.
He then tells me it is way off and that the front of the moon roof is to never be above the roof of the car or more than a 1/16 below.
And that the rear is supposed to be either flush or about 1/16 above.
While looking at the inside of the car he tells me the tech scuffed the material on the headliner and put runs in it at the back of the car along with leaving greasy finger prints in a few places.

Without getting to much more in depth about this and that I am still to pissed off about my car to call and complain about it just yet.
My b.f. used to be a GM tech and is pissed off about it he was going to readjust and align the moon roof but said F it because that is why he made me buy a newer car with warranty so that he doesn't have to keep doing this type of stuff.

Like my last GM Pontiac G5GT that went through 3-4 dealers for warranty repairs due to techs not properly fixing or diagnosing things it looks like like Deja vu all over again. :banghead:

My passenger side seat frame is on back order so I have to go back again once I calm down a little I will come up with a game plan in the mean time I have a couple days of rain expected so maybe the dam moon roof with leak and give me a better argument for getting the headline replaced.

Maybe I expect to much and that when I drop off a car to have warranty work done I should get it back in the same condition that I brought it in as and some Half ass tech's shouldn't be beating the shit out of my car while working on it.

See less See more
#79 ·
I'm not sure it's fair to let Cadillac entirely off the hook here.

When I was a kid my family owned Caddys, and the dealerships were uniformly excellent. It seemed like Cadillac dealerships were a lot like Mercedes and Lexus dealerships today: a businessman needed to continually demonstrate excellence in customer service in order to retain the franchise. I don't see evidence that 2013 Cadillac dealerships operate under the same corporate scrutiny.

Probably resulting partly from the bankruptcy of GM and the various forms of fallout, but from what I see, Cadillac dealerships today aren't a lot different from those of Ford, Chevy and Chrysler.

G
#74 ·
Yeh I am not blaming Cadillac yet anyways but it is a serious enough issue along with a consistent documented history of poor repairs and damage that it should be their problem and they should make sure it is taken care of.

I am just going to cool down and wait and see what my Regional Rep has to say.

The only good thing in my favor right now is from what my b.f. says is they don't have to take apart my interior again just to remove the moon roof glass panels.
He said all they should have to do is remove the front glass panel then remove the rear glass panel, 4 screws in each panel to replace it, then reinstall and adjust the height of the glass panels to Gm spec then confirm everything works.

G
#76 · (Edited)
I am the 2nd owner, Prior to the repairs the interior was in Mint condition it looked like no one ever even sat in the back.
I have cleaned the moon roof glass at least 4 times since buying it and no they was not there.
If you haven't read the my entire thread my moon roof glass panels were removed and reinstalled 3 times prior to this, not counting the other damage they did to my car, a long with not putting the car back together completely and or correctly the last 3 times.

And perhaps the scratches on the glass are directly lined up with a mounting screw on the rear glass panel and a result from what ever tool they used to tighten the screw.

G
#81 · (Edited)
The larger scratch in the glass is to deep to sand out with out creating distortions in the glass.
And if it was possible the proper way to do it would require removing the glass panel anyways and doing it on a work bench

Returning to Holman Cadillac is not even an option I would consider anymore.
I was easy going about all these problems and accepted some of the small things that still irk the crap out of me but I am not accepting this.

G
#88 · (Edited)
Picked up my CTS today and purposely took it on a 100+ mile drive through P.A. to see if I or my b.f. could notice any problems
New rear glass panel is all good, no further damage, everything is silent so far.

My CTS had to go back to the same dealer that did the damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.