Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dealership Tech rant or maybe I just expect to much out of people working on my car

20K views 88 replies 23 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
G
#1 ·
Prior to my Oil change my CTS started showing obnoxiously loud and annoying front seat squeaks and a slight rattle in the back of the headliner.
My b.f. said no big deal the slight rattle in the headliner may have been from the moon roof harness coming undone he thought he remembered a bulletin put out about it and the seat squeaks probably just needed some lube and to tell the service adviser when I went in for my oil change.
I mentioned it to the service adviser they said they would take care of it and gave me some ATS loaners to play with since I was window shopping ATS's.

I got my usual daily reports on the progress, Front Driver side seat just needed some lube, Passenger seat needs a new frame.
The Moon roof frame cracked the tech replaced it and I guess damaged the motor in the process so they had to order and replace that to.
No problem to me as long as everything is fixed.

I go back drop off the ATS turbo and they pull my car up to the front door since it was after the service department was closed for the day.
I go to get in my car and there is a couple inch square patch of scratches on my driver side door and I look at the moon roof and the front of it is sticking up about an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch higher than the roof of the car.
And the rear of moon roof is sitting about a 1/4 of an inch below the roof of the car at the center.

Having washed my car about 100 times I knew for a fact that it used to sit perfectly flush with the entire roof of the car.
So I drive my CTS over to the other CTS's on the lot to compare how the moon roof's looked on those.
All of the brand new ones were flush just like mine used to be and a few of the used ones had some slight sag or sat a tiny bit below the roof of the car.
No where near as bad as mine.

So I figure I will just let my b.f. inspect it and see what he has to say when he see's it when I get home.
I get on the Jersey Turnpike and get up to speed and all I can hear is the loudest wind noise coming from the back of the car.
Made sure all of the windows were up, moon roof was closed.
Then I pulled off at the first rest stop to make sure all of the doors were closed and they were.

I get home it is almost dark my b.f. takes a look at it and instantly says that the moon roof isn't properly aligned or adjusted to the proper GM spec's and that since it isn't properly aligned it is causing wind turbulence on the roof of the car and that is what I am hearing.
He then tells me it is way off and that the front of the moon roof is to never be above the roof of the car or more than a 1/16 below.
And that the rear is supposed to be either flush or about 1/16 above.
While looking at the inside of the car he tells me the tech scuffed the material on the headliner and put runs in it at the back of the car along with leaving greasy finger prints in a few places.

Without getting to much more in depth about this and that I am still to pissed off about my car to call and complain about it just yet.
My b.f. used to be a GM tech and is pissed off about it he was going to readjust and align the moon roof but said F it because that is why he made me buy a newer car with warranty so that he doesn't have to keep doing this type of stuff.

Like my last GM Pontiac G5GT that went through 3-4 dealers for warranty repairs due to techs not properly fixing or diagnosing things it looks like like Deja vu all over again. :banghead:

My passenger side seat frame is on back order so I have to go back again once I calm down a little I will come up with a game plan in the mean time I have a couple days of rain expected so maybe the dam moon roof with leak and give me a better argument for getting the headline replaced.

Maybe I expect to much and that when I drop off a car to have warranty work done I should get it back in the same condition that I brought it in as and some Half ass tech's shouldn't be beating the shit out of my car while working on it.

See less See more
#2 ·
This is completely unacceptable. I would also be soooo pissed to get my car back from the dealer after any repair - let aside warranty repairs - in worse condition than brought in.... I'm very picky about my car, and as you, having washed my car probably more than 150 times now, I know for a fact that I would notice any scratch that was not there before... Bring back your car, and show your service advisor all the things you want to be fixed - and be clear to tell him/her that you are back because one of their tech did not do his job properly....

#3 · (Edited)
:yeah:

Agree like2drive, absolutely unacceptable. I would be VERY PISSED OFF if this happened to me.
CTSCHICK, you are not expecting too much. Please let us know what develops out of all this.

The more I hear about Cadillac dealer service screw-ups and Cadillac Customer Service screw-ups the more I'm convinced my next car will be something other than a Cadillac. Luxury car owners expect and deserve an enhanced, satisfying experience when they bring their car into the dealer for service. GM isn't doing nearly enough to ensure this is happening at dealerships nationwide in the US and Canada. It's no wonder why so many people opt for luxury imports, after seeing what GM/Cadillac and their dealer network too often hands them.

If I see one more "I'm very sorry for your experience" post from Cadillac Cust Svc in this forum I think I'm going to scream.

G
#4 ·
My main problem is the Cadillac dealer I am using is 92 miles away so it is a major effort to work with them which I was fine with as long as everything stayed satisfactory.

I don't use the closest Cadillac dealer to me because they are part of the auto group that I dealt with and refused to deal with again from dealing with them with my G5GT that I bought from them.

I will get pictures in the light tomorrow because I have read about a few complaints here about people being told wind noise is normal with moon roof repairs and replacements.
When it is actually improperly aligned moon roofs.

Until then I have my car sitting out in the rain and hope it leaks

#5 ·
CTSCHICK said:
Prior to my Oil change my CTS started showing obnoxiously loud and annoying front seat squeaks and a slight rattle in the back of the headliner.
My b.f. said no big deal the slight rattle in the headliner may have been from the moon roof harness coming undone he thought he remembered a bulletin put out about it and the seat squeaks probably just needed some lube and to tell the service adviser when I went in for my oil change.
I mentioned it to the service adviser they said they would take care of it and gave me some ATS loaners to play with since I was window shopping ATS's.

I got my usual daily reports on the progress, Front Driver side seat just needed some lube, Passenger seat needs a new frame.
The Moon roof frame cracked the tech replaced it and I guess damaged the motor in the process so they had to order and replace that to.
No problem to me as long as everything is fixed.

I go back drop off the ATS turbo and they pull my car up to the front door since it was after the service department was closed for the day.
I go to get in my car and there is a couple inch square patch of scratches on my driver side door and I look at the moon roof and the front of it is sticking up about an 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch higher than the roof of the car.
And the rear of moon roof is sitting about a 1/4 of an inch below the roof of the car at the center.

Having washed my car about 100 times I knew for a fact that it used to sit perfectly flush with the entire roof of the car.
So I drive my CTS over to the other CTS's on the lot to compare how the moon roof's looked on those.
All of the brand new ones were flush just like mine used to be and a few of the used ones had some slight sag or sat a tiny bit below the roof of the car.
No where near as bad as mine.

So I figure I will just let my b.f. inspect it and see what he has to say when he see's it when I get home.
I get on the Jersey Turnpike and get up to speed and all I can hear is the loudest wind noise coming from the back of the car.
Made sure all of the windows were up, moon roof was closed.
Then I pulled off at the first rest stop to make sure all of the doors were closed and they were.

I get home it is almost dark my b.f. takes a look at it and instantly says that the moon roof isn't properly aligned or adjusted to the proper GM spec's and that since it isn't properly aligned it is causing wind turbulence on the roof of the car and that is what I am hearing.
He then tells me it is way off and that the front of the moon roof is to never be above the roof of the car or more than a 1/16 below.
And that the rear is supposed to be either flush or about 1/16 above.
While looking at the inside of the car he tells me the tech scuffed the material on the headliner and put runs in it at the back of the car along with leaving greasy finger prints in a few places.

Without getting to much more in depth about this and that I am still to pissed off about my car to call and complain about it just yet.
My b.f. used to be a GM tech and is pissed off about it he was going to readjust and align the moon roof but said F it because that is why he made me buy a newer car with warranty so that he doesn't have to keep doing this type of stuff.

Like my last GM Pontiac G5GT that went through 3-4 dealers for warranty repairs due to techs not properly fixing or diagnosing things it looks like like Deja vu all over again. :banghead:

My passenger side seat frame is on back order so I have to go back again once I calm down a little I will come up with a game plan in the mean time I have a couple days of rain expected so maybe the dam moon roof with leak and give me a better argument for getting the headline replaced.

Maybe I expect to much and that when I drop off a car to have warranty work done I should get it back in the same condition that I brought it in as and some Half ass tech's shouldn't be beating the shit out of my car while working on it.
Unacceptable. You need to hot these dealers where it hurts. When you get the survey you need to let them have it and have it hard. Every dealer I have ever dealt with takes these things seriously.

#6 ·
gohawks63 said:
Unacceptable. You need to hot these dealers where it hurts. When you get the survey you need to let them have it and have it hard. Every dealer I have ever dealt with takes these things seriously.
And you commented on jgalillac spelling on a previous post. Must be driving and didn't use Siri. Lol, just kidding. :)

#7 ·
Hello CTSCHICK,

I completely understand your frustration of the issue of the dealership and I apologize that you experienced it. I would be more than happy to call and speak to the dealership on your behalf about this issue. If you would like my assistance, please private message me so I can look into your concern. Thank you very much for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#9 ·
Couple things: I completely agree with your frustration and being upset (about the condition of your vehicle) but you should have said something before accepting delivery, since the vehicle is going back for the completion of service give them the chance to make things right, and finally, contact Gregory W. (Cadillac Customer Care, post #7) and take him up on his offer to act in your behalf with the dealership involved. Best of luck in rectifying this situation.

#10 ·
It is totally unacceptable that you got your car back in that condition. The service technicians pay very little attention to details and we as customers have to suffer and spend more time and money to get it right and then we are perceived as azz hats for being so picky. I hope they get this right.
As for the headliner, I have pulled some with the same type of material and let me tell you, you have to go above and beyond to keep it from getting dirty. I am as anal as they come and I take pride in my work. I actually wear latex gloves and change them out religiously, that material and color is sooooooo receptive to dirt and grime. I could only imagine what the techs hands looked like after replacing the frame and motor to sunroof. Let us know what happens, curious if they try to clean the headliner or replace it.

#19 ·
This chat board will not let me go back as far as the complaint that i emailed to, I believe her name was Katie. I sent the info with my VIN and sent the info again when I still had no reply.
I am most fortunate that I have probably the best Cadillac dealer around, Sewell.
I find that the Cadillac Costomer Care on this board is of no value. I have also explained this to my dealer's GM.

#83 ·
Hello WEMTX,

I am sorry your Email was never interacted with. Katie is no longer part of our team; we have been in the process of transitioning new customer service agent's which include myself and Gregory to the Cadillac forum. We do our best to help assist our customers and make contact with the appropriate people to further assist them if needed. If you would like to discuss any concerns or issues, please private message me and we can continue our interaction.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service
I'm interested in a job working for Cadillac in your department. Please advise.
thanks, Douglas

#84 ·
I'm interested in a job working for Cadillac in your department. Please advise.
thanks, Douglas
Hello Douglas,

Thank you for your interest in working for our company in this department! I am not sure if there are any openings at this time, but feel free to check out our careers page on our website! Here is a link to it if you need it: http://careers.gm.com/#.html. Thank you very much for reaching out to us with your interest in our company!

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#16 ·
The inept repair is bad enough, where is the quality check the dealer is supposed to do before returning the car to the customer. At the dealership I go to there is always the service manager or another designated person whose initials are on every repair line indicating that the service was performed and re-checked by a second set of eyes.

G
#17 ·
I don't think it would do any good unless the person doing the inspecting or checking things over actually went through the Gm service material to go back over what was done to a car to know what they are even looking for.

How ever with just a cosmetic check over would have probably caught some of my complaints especially with the dirty finger prints and smudges on the interior along with lubrication drip marks on my driver side floor from where they lubed the seat.
My passenger side A pillar interior panel being put back on wrong over top of the door weather stripping instead of behind it.
It looks like the tech banged into my passenger side door panel right above the speaker, near the door lock/window switch bezel while removing the passenger seat I have a white dent through the material where it scuffed the black leather.

#18 ·
I happened to be on the cts forums for a different reason and this thread caught my eye. It's ridiculous. About a month ago I opened a thread on the STS-V forums you might find interesting. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...2-horrible-experiences-dealer-care-share.html. It tells the story and talks about how it was somewhat resolved. What you should expect when you drop your cadillac off at the dealer for service is that the people dealing with your car treat your car as you would treat your car. You should expect nothing less. This crap gets me so heated. Good luck.

#23 ·
Thank you, Laura for telling me that. I guess the wheels of progress grind slowly.

I work with a small company and when we need something done, we get it done. I am not used to the machinations of a large corporation and their multiple layers of bureaucracy.

----------

Chick, I am posting a link to this thread on the "Tell me about your sunroof" thread.

#25 ·
You are welcome Paul. Don't hesitate to reach out to us again, if there is ever additional questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

----------

I just sent an email to my Service adviser she is on vacation until next Monday.
Like I said before I can wait because I only want to go back in when my passenger side seat frame comes in and they can have the opportunity to resolve this.

I took better pictures today of all of my complaints for the email.
This is just one example of why I am pissed off about this and this is just the Passenger side C pillar trim panel.

As you can see in the picture on the left there is 2 couple inch long runs in the material along with a greasy finger print on the right.
There is longer runs in the material of the actual headliner from being rubbed against something to cause them.

Hi CTSCHICK,

I apologize for these marks left in your vehicle. I do see you Emailed your service advisor at your dealership, but she is out of office for another week. When you do make contact with her next week, if you would like my assistance throughout the process, please let me know. I can be contacted via private message where we can continue to interact and discuss any other questions or concerns you have.

Sincerely,

Laura M.

G
#27 ·
Figured I would update this.
My service adviser came back from vacation yesterday and contacted me immediately after reading my email and viewing my pictures of my complaints.
Along with forwarding them to the Service manage & director due to all of that.

My Passenger side seat frame is in so I am dropping my CTS off on Friday and meeting with everyone now involved when I get there.
My b.f. is going with me to take care of the technical stuff.

Their response is They can not have me unhappy with my car and their service so we will see.
Right now they think they can have their detailer detail the interior and clean it up after the other complaints with the moon rood & ect are taken care of.
When the only way to take car of the runs in the material is to replace the trim.
Along with detailing the exterior

Other than that I have another ATS turbo reserved to drive while dealing with this so we will see how all of this ends up.

#31 ·
I'm way behind on reading, and this may well be fixed by now....but I can see what the problem is from the pics.
The back is too low when it should be flush to high, and the front is too high when it should be flush to low....
They installed it backwards!!! :thumbsup:

OK, I know this is nowhere near helpful, and I hope they get you fixed properly. I was hoping to ease your pain with a little levity. Please don't hit me. :thepan:

G
#32 ·
Hehe yeh I posted the GM specs in my first post

Dropped the car off today without any debate what cant be detailed out will be replaced
And that includes the headliner, passenger side c pillar trim and ect along with dealing with the moon roof.

My loaner is a silver ats turbo with 1280 miles on it.

#34 ·
Hello CTSCHICK,

I completely understand your frustration of the issue of the dealership and I apologize that you experienced it. I would be more than happy to call and speak to the dealership on your behalf about this issue. If you would like my assistance, please private message me so I can look into your concern. Thank you very much for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

I think it is great that you offered to get involved with the dealer but I have had our SRX and CTS in multiple times and constantly get the same answer we cannot reproduce the problem but they manage to find everything that costs me money never anything that is covered under warranty or extended warranty which are quite costly when the dealer "cannot reproduce the problem" do they think we want to put all this mileage on our cars to hear the same old song and dance most of us have genuine concerns that are overlooked I am trading in my 09 CTS for a 2011 coupe tomorrow this is Cadillacs last shot with me.Perhaps contacting the dealer is step one but it should be conveyed to GM executives to wake up or fall on their butts again we bailed them out once with our hard earned tax dollars the least they can do is give us the service they so proudly display in all the dealerships about Cadillac customer service and then they beg for a 100% satisfaction survey(are they kidding) which seems useless anyways nothing ever gets done.Well that's my rant and rave.

#35 ·
There will always be good dealers and bad dealers -- its the fact of life! It's finding that good dealer that is the problem. Where we live I have had first hand experience with the dealer in Lansing, MI named Capital Cadillac. They have been very good to us and feel fortunate to have them in our area. The only problem is the quality of our car has been disappointing to say the least. We are getting close to the 50k b2b and the car (bought it new) is definitely starting to show its quality issues as things keep breaking. We have always purchased new Infiniti's in the past so visiting a dealer for warranty work is new for us. We kept our last Infiniti FX35 until is had 198k miles on it and the only thing it needed in that time frame was a wheel bearing (110k) and tie rod ends (143k). Infiniti even covered the wheel bearing under warranty for us even though the car was way out of warranty which was very nice of them. I guess the moral of the story is -- even though our dealer is top notch, what's the point when the quality of the product they sell is not up to snuff. No doubt Cadillac is making some good looking cars and have had made some improvements to quality over previous model (1st gen CTS was a joke) -- I just think their no where near the Japanese in terms of reliability/quality yet. You can probably tell what our next car will be after the warranty is up on our CTS..

#36 ·
I guess the moral of the story is -- even though our dealer is top notch, what's the point when the quality of the product they sell is not up to snuff. No doubt Cadillac is making some good looking cars and have had made some improvements to quality over previous model (1st gen CTS was a joke) -- I just think their no where near the Japanese in terms of reliability/quality yet. You can probably tell what our next car will be after the warranty is up on our CTS..
Well said, I could not agree more. 2nd gen CTS was an easy choice for many here, due to favorable discount price versus competition; but now with new 3rd gen CTS reportedly priced higher on par with competition, it’s a real dilemma. How lucky do potential buyers feel?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.