GM Retiree. Cadillac Lover! New to the Cadillac Owners.com. Clunking problem in RR.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, GM Retiree. Cadillac Lover! New to the Cadillac Owners.com. Clunking problem in RR. in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; I have owned almost every make of GM vehicles, but am converted to Cadillac many times over, when I bought ...
    teejcee44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS AWD

GM Retiree. Cadillac Lover! New to the Cadillac Owners.com. Clunking problem in RR.

I have owned almost every make of GM vehicles, but am converted to Cadillac many times over, when I bought my first 03 CTS. Today I own an 09 CTS4 that is luxurious and fun to drive. I had a problem with handling on left turns at high speed on highway driving that was "driving" me crazy. I first thought it was a tire problem, since the problem became quite noticeable when I installed a new set of Michelin tires. After two times returning the vehicle to the tire shop that installed the tires. I went online (Alldata Pro) to look at TSB's, and found an article on this very thing. It was a safety recall which included a "clunking" noise in the rear, where a tie rod may work loose, and cause unsafe handling, which described exactly what I was experiencing. Turns out that the safety recall had already been done, but I finally took the vehicle to a Cadillac dealer in Batesville, AR, and they fixed the handling problem, but I still have a clunking in the right rear of the vehicle. Anybody have suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

Re: GM Retiree. Cadillac Lover! New to the Cadillac Owners.com. Clunking problem in R

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Re: GM Retiree. Cadillac Lover! New to the Cadillac Owners.com. Clunking problem in R

Initially I would crawl under the car and start grabbing what I could. Do a visual then shake it to see if anything is loose. Maybe you will hear something. Maybe a strut?

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info in here. Enjoy your stay!!!

Z71
    Z71 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS4 Blue Diamond AWD Performance Sedan

Could be the rear limited slip differential, change the fluid as the oem fluid is low quality as referenced by the bulletin.

#10-04-20-001B: Rear Axle Clunk and/or ChatterType Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill Rear Differential Fluid) - (Apr 21, 2010)
    Subject: Rear Axle Clunk and/or Chatter Type Noise on Turns (Drain/Refill RearDifferential Fluid)

Models: 2003-2010 Cadillac CTS,Sport Wagon (Including V-Series and Export)
    2004-2009 Cadillac SRX (Including Export)
    2005-2010 Cadillac STS (IncludingV-Series and Export)
    Equipped with Limited Slip Differential (RPO G80)

Condition
    Some customers may comment on a clunk and/or chatter type noise from the rear of the vehicle while making turns.

This condition may be worse on vehicles built prior to the 2008 model year. Carbon-faced clutch plates were introduced into production in the 2008 model year and have decreased the likelihood of the clutch plate chatter.

Cause
    This condition may be caused by slip/stick of the posi-traction clutch platesdue to insufficient limited-slip axle additive. As plates slip and stick, ajumping or jerking feel occurs accompanied by a clunk noise.

Correction
    Important: DO NOT remove the differential cover. It is not necessary to flush the old fluid from the differential.

Drain and refill the rear differential with fluid, GM P/N 88862624 (in
    Canada,88862625). Refer to the Axle Lubricant Change procedure in SI.

This fluid includes a friction modifier already added with a different formulation that lasts longer and does not break down over time.

Without Differential Oil Cooler
    1.10 L
    1.16 qt

With Differential Oil Cooler
    1.41 L
    1.50 qt

Parts Information
    Part Number

88862624 (
    US-1 qt)
    88862625 (
    Canada
    - 1 L)
    DEXRON® LS Gear Oil

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by teejcee44 View Post
    I have owned almost every make of GM vehicles, but am converted to Cadillac many times over, when I bought my first 03 CTS. Today I own an 09 CTS4 that is luxurious and fun to drive. I had a problem with handling on left turns at high speed on highway driving that was "driving" me crazy. I first thought it was a tire problem, since the problem became quite noticeable when I installed a new set of Michelin tires. After two times returning the vehicle to the tire shop that installed the tires. I went online (Alldata Pro) to look at TSB's, and found an article on this very thing. It was a safety recall which included a "clunking" noise in the rear, where a tie rod may work loose, and cause unsafe handling, which described exactly what I was experiencing. Turns out that the safety recall had already been done, but I finally took the vehicle to a Cadillac dealer in Batesville, AR, and they fixed the handling problem, but I still have a clunking in the right rear of the vehicle. Anybody have suggestions?

Hello teejcee44,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great way to interact with other Cadillac owners and lovers and get great insight. I am here to help monitor the sites and be a liaison between the customer and dealer. I also help answer any questions to the best of my ability, or get in contact with those that can further assist a customer. I can be reached via private message or at socialmedia@gm.com "ATTN LAURA" if there are any concerns or issues you would like to discuss further.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.