Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dropped Trans

12K views 98 replies 22 participants last post by  tinman 
#1 ·
Took my car in two weeks ago to repair a hard shifting transmission. They took 10 days and found an internal leak. I picked it up on Thursday and have driven about 100 miles. Last night at 10:00 I left for the airport to get my wife (45 minute drive). As I drove out of the 'hood my tranny gave up the ghost. I coasted to a stop, said some choice words and had to leash up the dog and run the 3/4 mile home to find my wife's keys to her car (that was another p.i.t.a.). Now I have to install my tow ring that I built so the tow jockey doesn't screw up my car and deal with this whole mess all over.

Not happy. Thanks for the rant. :banghead:

----------

OK, how do I remove the little cover plate on the bumper? Not a word in the manual!

#3 ·
Thanks. Upon closer inspection I saw where the screwdriver is inserted.

30 minutes + on phone with Caddy Roadside Assistance and another 90 minutes (still) waiting for a tow truck.

#5 ·
tinman said:
Thanks. Upon closer inspection I saw where the screwdriver is inserted.

30 minutes + on phone with Caddy Roadside Assistance and another 90 minutes (still) waiting for a tow truck.
Good Luck Tinman

It's so disappointing when the techs fail to fix it right the first time. Cadillac says they will get it right but they fail to realize the inconvenience they put their customers through with multiple trips to the dealer. Like an idiot I now own two, an 09 premium sedan and a 10 performance wagon. Last month I was at the dealer 4 times and will have another visit when they decide to fix my exhaust. I'm getting that special as I did with my Oldsmobile!

#6 ·
I just put my wagon on a flatbed. I went to install my tow hook and I have no female receiver!!! I am quite unhappy with Cadillac right now. To add insult to injury I talked with Cadillac customer lip service. "Give us your phone # if we get disconnected" so they can call me. We did get disconnected and of course no call back. I will call them a third time. I pity the fool I talk with. I need a car and a ride to work tomorrow.

#7 ·
tinman said:
I just put my wagon on a flatbed. I went to install my tow hook and I have no female receiver!!! I am quite unhappy with Cadillac right now. To add insult to injury I talked with Cadillac customer lip service. "Give us your phone # if we get disconnected" so they can call me. We did get disconnected and of course no call back. I will call them a third time. I pity the fool I talk with. I need a car and a ride to work tomorrow.
Unbelievable.......how does one not get totally upset.

----------

Citabria said:
Good Luck Tinman

It's so disappointing when the techs fail to fix it right the first time. Cadillac says they will get it right but they fail to realize the inconvenience they put their customers through with multiple trips to the dealer. Like an idiot I now own two, an 09 premium sedan and a 10 performance wagon. Last month I was at the dealer 4 times and will have another visit when they decide to fix my exhaust. I'm getting that special as I did with my Oldsmobile!
Oops. Meant to say say that special FEEL in an Oldsmobile!

#8 · (Edited)
So I called Cadillac No Service and asked for a car and /or a ride to work tomorrow. Their response was to have someone pick me up, drive 45 minutes to a rental agency, fill out paperwork and then drive 45 minutes home.

No.

I asked them to deliver a car. No. I asked them to pick me up in the A.M. No. I asked them to arrange a cab. No. I asked if they would pay for my cab ride to the dealer. And the response was, "They would submit to the website for a possible reimbursement".

Superb Service from Cadillac Concierge Service. An absolute waste of over 90 elapsed minutes on the phone. I have received better service from AAA for a fraction of the cost numerous times.

I will have to rethink my position with Cadillac.

Reactions: snofun3
#11 ·
Interesting you mentioned that.

I do like this ride. I like a wagon. Now what? TSX wagon? Mercedes at $60k?

If I get a NEW tranny now then I will rethink. Not happy with the French transmission.

#12 ·
Tinman, you've been a positive fixture on this forum since I joined over a year ago. We'd hate to lose you and your experience sounds dreadful. After that experience I would understand, but based on previous posts you seemed to like your CTS, and we'd hate to lose you, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. As a fellow Floridian, I hope I don't have to go through the same thing. When I first got my car, I ran the battery down (I was filling my HDD and left the power on way too long) and couldn't open the door. My first experience with the Cadillac roadside assistance was actually pretty good and they came out right away to my home and took care of the problem. Do what you think is right for you, especially since your warranty may be running out soon, but maybe this experience with the Concierge was an anomaly, and if not get the wagon you want. I would suggest the Volvo, but I just read an article about the company's viability, so the Merc may be the best alternative.

#13 ·
Took my car in two weeks ago to repair a hard shifting transmission. They took 10 days and found an internal leak. I picked it up on Thursday and have driven about 100 miles. Last night at 10:00 I left for the airport to get my wife (45 minute drive). As I drove out of the 'hood my tranny gave up the ghost. I coasted to a stop, said some choice words and had to leash up the dog and run the 3/4 mile home to find my wife's keys to her car (that was another p.i.t.a.). Now I have to install my tow ring that I built so the tow jockey doesn't screw up my car and deal with this whole mess all over.

Not happy. Thanks for the rant. :banghead:

----------

OK, how do I remove the little cover plate on the bumper? Not a word in the manual!
Hello tinman,

After reading this thread, I apologize for what you have experienced. I am sorry how you feel about Cadillac right now, I would be frustrated if I were in your position also. If you would like to discuss this further, please private message me. I would like to hear about your issues and experience and work towards a possible solution.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

#14 ·
Angelbones, thanks for your kind words. I will give Cadillac the opportunity to redeem themselves. They will have ample opportunity to do such. No Volvo, thanks. Love a Merc E63, though! All it takes is money.

I do enjoy my wagon. I have been seriously looking at rims, but I do believe that I will back off of that notion.

Sigh, to be continued.

----------

I will pm you later, Miss Laura. I am leaving to go to my dealer where they better have a Cadillac waiting for me.

#18 ·
I really do appreciate everyone's good words. Many thanks to all of you good folks.

I got to the dealer courtesy of my wife who drove 30 minutes out of her way...and got up early to do so. The dealer was slammed so I had to wait for a while to get a CTS to drive. It is dirty inside...all they did was turn the dirty mats over. What does the next guy get? Petty - maybe. Still wrong, however. Anyway the service writer originally couldn't duplicate the tranny problem. I was amazed. Then he drove it up to me so I could get my insurance papers. Thank goodness for that because it acted up at that time.

So now I wait to hear what the situation is. I will post back later.

#19 ·
tinman said:
I really do appreciate everyone's good words. Many thanks to all of you good folks.

I got to the dealer courtesy of my wife who drove 30 minutes out of her way...and got up early to do so. The dealer was slammed so I had to wait for a while to get a CTS to drive. It is dirty inside...all they did was turn the dirty mats over. What does the next guy get? Petty - maybe. Still wrong, however. .

You know I thought I was the only one. I have only needed two loaners and both times the cars were dirty. Once it was really pretty gross.

Compare that with when I drove Acuras. The dealers always made sure I got a clean car. To the point that they would make sure it was washed even if it was raining/snowing outside.

We have only have had a need for a loaner for our BMW X5 once, but it was spotless. They didn't even require we bring it back with gas, but I did replace what I used as I felt it was the right thing to do.

Heck, even Toyota, when we had our Landcruiser, made sure the loaners were clean. They may have been a Prius or Yaris, but at least they were clean.

I do think Cadillac has a way to go with the dealer experience.

#20 ·
gohawks63 said:
You know I thought I was the only one. I have only needed two loaners and both times the cars were dirty. Once it was really pretty gross.

Compare that with when I drove Acuras. The dealers always made sure I got a clean car. To the point that they would make sure it was washed even if it was raining/snowing outside.

We have only have had a need for a loaner for our BMW X5 once, but it was spotless. They didn't even require we bring it back with gas, but I did replace what I used as I felt it was the right thing to do.

Heck, even Toyota, when we had our Landcruiser, made sure the loaners were clean. They may have been a Prius or Yaris, but at least they were clean.

I do think Cadillac has a way to go with the dealer experience.
I cannot complain about my dealer. The loaners were quite clean. What you guys are saying though Cadillac dealers have long way to go. GM needs to put some pressure on them and bring them to a reasonable standard.

#24 ·
Tinman, it seems to me that the majority of the blame lies with the dealer and its apparently incompetent mechanics, not with Cadillac itself. What you describe, from the outrageous and totally unacceptable 10 days in the shop to the dirty loaners, is 180 degrees from what I've experienced with my local dealer, Penske Caddy in Torrance, California. I suggest that you give Cadillac another chance -- unless, of course, that means dealing with these same jerks. If you do switch, I urge you to write a letter to GM and tell them exactly why you're moving on.

#25 ·
I wrote Laura, the Caddy rep on this forum. I will give her every opportunity to help Cadillac redeem themselves. If not then I will determine my course of action at that time. I guess I will contact the Caddy salesman as well as the owner of the dealership. I will do that tomorrow morning. This will give Cadillac 48 hours to communicate something (anything) to me as I have not heard from anyone but Laura since I took my car in.

----------

Judge, who, exactly, is Cadillac? Is it only the manufacturer in Detroit? It is the shareholders and bond owners and the UAW? Or is it the entire organization, from Danial Akerson (Chairman of the Board) to the lot attendant who drove my loaner from the back lot to me?

I own my own company. I have taken phone calls where a customer is unhappy with a certain project of which I had nothing to do with directly. Nonetheless, it is my fault and responsibility as well as the tradesman who did a poor installation or fabrication of the item. It is a collective, and in the case we are talking about it is the dealer's fault. He is one with the Cadillac crest on his door and his business cards, and he is the "First Line of Defense" so-to-speak.

Shoot 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

Reactions: MoFex
#26 ·
I understand your frustrations but to paint Cadillac and then GM with such a wide brush may be a bit harsh. I have my fourth CTS from the same dealership because of the way I am treated, the appearance of the facility and the entire purchase and service experience. I keep coming back because of that but for me to say all Cadillac dealers are like this is too broad a statement. I think the general manager sets the tone for the dealership standards and because any deficiency affects his bottom line, I think an in person sit down might benefit both of you. I hope you get your problem handled but if you decide to keep your car, you may have to deal with these folks again.

#27 ·
I am not a hell fire and brimstone type of guy (unless the situation truly warrants that and I am not insinuating this situation meets that behavior). I would write the salesman as he stands to lose a customer over this. I would write the President as he stands to lose a customer as well as get bad "PR" over this. I am 61 and have owned my own businesses basically forever, so what I am saying is I have a good feel as to what works for me in interpersonal/business relationships. I won't go to town and do a tap dance on this guy's face.

As to my broad strokes as to who Cadillac is, I was trying to give some thought as to what constitutes an organization. It is everyone from the lowest man on the totem pole to the top head honcho. Everyone represents the marque and you are always in the public's eye. Just one man's opinion, lord knows we all have an opinion.

So, how 'bout them Bruins!

#28 ·
tinman said:
I wrote Laura, the Caddy rep on this forum. I will give her every opportunity to help Cadillac redeem themselves. If not then I will determine my course of action at that time. I guess I will contact the Caddy salesman as well as the owner of the dealership. I will do that tomorrow morning. This will give Cadillac 48 hours to communicate something (anything) to me as I have not heard from anyone but Laura since I took my car in.

----------

Judge, who, exactly, is Cadillac? Is it only the manufacturer in Detroit? It is the shareholders and bond owners and the UAW? Or is it the entire organization, from Danial Akerson (Chairman of the Board) to the lot attendant who drove my loaner from the back lot to me?

I own my own company. I have taken phone calls where a customer is unhappy with a certain project of which I had nothing to do with directly. Nonetheless, it is my fault and responsibility as well as the tradesman who did a poor installation or fabrication of the item. It is a collective, and in the case we are talking about it is the dealer's fault. He is one with the Cadillac crest on his door and his business cards, and he is the "First Line of Defense" so-to-speak.

Shoot 'em all, let God sort 'em out.
I would call the General Manager. I had to do that with my first warranty visit. Here is the story.

About a year ago (May 2012) I noticed that my seatbelt light would occasionally flash even though I was buckled. I had the car only 3 months and it had just under 4K miles on her. I finally called to set up an appointment, but I was leery as I knew that unless it happened consistently, they would just tell me they couldn't recreate it. I was scheduled to take the car in the Tuesday after Memorial Day.

The Thursday before I am driving to work and now the seat belt light is flashing consistently. I called the dealer and asked if I could swing by and let them see it first hand even though my appointment wasn't until Tuesday. They said to come over.

I get to the dealer, pull into the service bay and never got out as I had the SM come over and I showed him the flashing light and showed him that I was buckled. He nodded and said, "Got it, see you Tuesday".

Tuesday morning comes along and as I'm driving to the dealer the light is again flashing consistently. I pull in and show the porter (when he asked me what I was in for) and again I flagged him over and showed him the flashing light and the fact I was buckled. He again acknowledged it. They took all my information and proceeded to give me the filthy CTS loaner.

So later in the day I get a phone call and the following conversation takes place:

SM: we didn't see the light flashing. We hooked up the car to the computer and it didn't give us any codes.

He then proceeded to insult my intelligence by saying....

SM: you know... That light WILL flash if you don't wear your seatbelt.

Me: (incredulous that he just said that). It's not going to give you any codes because it's not indicating a malfunction. It thinks I'm not wearing my seatbelt. There has to be something wrong with the buckle or the wiring in the seat.

SM: I'm not sure what to tell you, the tech couldn't pull any codes
Me: can I talk to the tech?
SM: no he left for the day
Me: don't you remember seeing it flash when I showed it to you TWICE?!
SM: No answer
Me: (losing it now) Listen, this is my first domestic car after nearly 20 years of owning Japanese cars, we are not off to a good start here
SM: well I want to make it right, what can we do?
Me: find the problem and fix it

So he asked me if they could keep it another day to which I certainly agreed.

The next morning I just wasn't having a good feeling about this so I called the dealership and spoke to the GM. He is a friend of a friend and he was who I originally spoke to when I started entertaining buying the car. He assured me they would get to the bottom of it, even if they had to start replacing parts.

Later that afternoon I get another call from the SM and it goes like this...

SM: we must have put nearly 30 miles driving the car and we hooked it up to the computer and we didn't get any codes. There is nothing wrong with the car. Come pick it up.
Me: Again, it's not going to throw any codes!!! It's not indicating a malfunction!!!! It thinks the seatbelt isn't buckled. Don't you remember seeing it flash the two times I showed you?!

This is where he sent me off the deep end.

SM: to tell you the truth, I wasn't really paying attention as to whether you were buckled in.

I lost it now. The following is in CAPS because I was shouting and for those who know me, it takes a lot for me to lose it.

ME: I AM GOING TO PICK UP THAT FU****G CAR AND WHEN I GET THE SURVEY FROM CADILLAC I AM GOING TO ABSOLUTELY FU****G RAVAGE YOU ON IT.
(Silence)
I hang up and now call the GM.

GM: Hi G.... I have a bunch of techs working on it, but we still haven't gotten to the bottom of it.
Me: well your SM just called me to tell me that there isn't anything wrong and to pick up the car.

I then proceeded to tell him how he told me that he insulted me the first time telling me that the light will flash if I am not buckled and the second time when he said he never looked to confirm that I was buckled after I made a special trip to show him and the second time when I dropped it off.

Dead silence for a while and then...

GM: please do not pick up your car. We're going to fix this.

5 minutes later the GM calls me back

GM: Hey G.. I have a tech here, can you please explain what is happening?
Me: (exasperated) sure
Tech: hi, what seems to be the problem
Me: (gritting my teeth now) the seatbelt warning light flashes even though I am buckled. Occasionally I have noticed if I shift in my seat it might stop
Tech: Oh that helps, I wish I would have know that from the start
Me: well I wanted to speak with you, but the SM wouldn't let that happen.

They asked if they could keep the car overnight again.

The following day I get a call. Car is fixed. The culprit was a bad seatbelt buckle.

It would not have gotten resolved if I had not gotten the general manager involved.

----------

tinman said:
So, how 'bout them Bruins!
Go Blackhawks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.