Dropped Trans - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Dropped Trans in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Seems they are depreciating very quickly....as any luxury car.........
    MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Re: Dropped Trans

Seems they are depreciating very quickly....as any luxury car......

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    Seems they are depreciating very quickly....as any luxury car......
    Mercs are expensive to repair too...my buddy just spent 450 on a headlight bezel minus labor.

C "T" ess is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

"Most problems in this world are caused by morons. I wonder if there's a moron-detector app?"

Where would you plug it in and what code would you get.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Hello Paul,

I was able to make contact with the dealership today. I spoke with Bill. He informed me of James who is your technician, and is going to take great care of your vehicle. Bill updated me on the status of your vehicle. The transmission is going to be replaced: new pistons, clutch, clutch housing. Bill told me the parts to replace have all been ordered and should be in within a couple of days. He said James will contact you once the parts are in at the dealership, and will also contact you once the vehicle is all fixed.I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

I responded:
    So they are rebuilding the transmission, not putting in a new one.

Thanks for asking them the status. They can't be bothered to communicate, it takes an outsider. Sigh, not a wonderful Cadillac experience.

I do thank you for your time.

Then I immediately followed up with:
    This guy who is rebuilding the transmission, he failed on his first attempt. Why would I have any confidence in this vehicle now? I don't, unfortunately.

Laura, this is a rebuild, not a new transmission. I am quite disappointed. I feel violated. If this had been done in the first place then Cadillac wouldn't have my vehicle today and be paying for it again. This is not the way to go, and I am sure all on the Cadillac Forum will not be pleased, either.

End of emails.

Now I am at a crossroads, and my initial thoughts are that I need to dump this vehicle while it still drives. Do I want to drive to it to the end of the earth? Will it get me there? Major disappointment...sigh.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    Now I am at a crossroads, and my initial thoughts are that I need to dump this vehicle while it still drives. Do I want to drive to it to the end of the earth? Will it get me there? Major disappointment...sigh.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you, you are lucky you're still under warranty. You will also get more money in a trade if the vehicle is still under warranty. Or it could be the only problem that you will ever have, who knows. Not a good situation to be in.

Yeah, I know this could be the only problem I ever have. However, the issue I have in my mind is "Do I feel lucky?" I just don't want to be somewhere between "here and there" with my wife and/or grandkids or 92 year old parents and have it let go again. That could escalate into a life and death situation. Dramatic? Probably. A possibility, however, and a car with 50,000 miles should not instill this lack of confidence.

dreiloft is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS, 2012 Coupe traded, 2010 CTS 4 Dr traded
    It's too bad you don't have more dealer options. Down here we have five dealers with in a thirty mile radius.

I have two others. The one I use I drive by on the way to work. The other two are a minimum 30 minute drive. I guess I will get familiar with them, unless I dump the car. Then I wont be familiar with any of them.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Hello Paul,

I was able to make contact with the dealership today. I spoke with Bill. He informed me of James who is your technician, and is going to take great care of your vehicle. Bill updated me on the status of your vehicle. The transmission is going to be replaced: new pistons, clutch, clutch housing. Bill told me the parts to replace have all been ordered and should be in within a couple of days. He said James will contact you once the parts are in at the dealership, and will also contact you once the vehicle is all fixed.I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

I responded:
    So they are rebuilding the transmission, not putting in a new one.

Thanks for asking them the status. They can't be bothered to communicate, it takes an outsider. Sigh, not a wonderful Cadillac experience.

I do thank you for your time.

Then I immediately followed up with:
    This guy who is rebuilding the transmission, he failed on his first attempt. Why would I have any confidence in this vehicle now? I don't, unfortunately.

Laura, this is a rebuild, not a new transmission. I am quite disappointed. I feel violated. If this had been done in the first place then Cadillac wouldn't have my vehicle today and be paying for it again. This is not the way to go, and I am sure all on the Cadillac Forum will not be pleased, either.

End of emails.

Now I am at a crossroads, and my initial thoughts are that I need to dump this vehicle while it still drives. Do I want to drive to it to the end of the earth? Will it get me there? Major disappointment...sigh.
    I don't know, I am going to take a different approach here. Assuming the guy who is doing the rebuild knows what he's doing, rebuilding the transmission can be just as good as a new one.

Think about when you buy a refurbished piece of electronics. Most of the time they replace anything that is subject to wear and tear. Screens, keyboard, moving parts, etc. oftentimes the only thing that is left from the original is the outer shell/case.

When I was younger working in my uncle's auto repair business, the same applied with respect to rebuilding an engine or transmission. Things like valves, seals and other items subject to wear were replaced. The key as I said before is the guy doing the rebuild.

If they are rebuilding the trans with all new parts I would (personally) would be OK with that, provided that it is backed by a warranty.

Provided there is a warranty.

I do not know if my warranty is extended at all on this POS tranny or not.

Absolutely the wrong analogy to use with me, the refurbished electronics. After three different occasions with refurbished electronics I will never purchase refurbished electronics again in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by tinman
    Provided there is a warranty.

I do not know if my warranty is extended at all on this POS tranny or not.

Absolutely the wrong analogy to use with me, the refurbished electronics. After three different occasions with refurbished electronics I will never purchase refurbished electronics again in my lifetime.
    I guess it depends on what they replace. I believe when Apple gives you a "refurbished" IPhone, it is essentially a new phone. All of the guts are replaced.

The warranty should be the balance of your factory warranty or one year, whichever comes first.

Now if there is a known design defect/flaw that is a different story.

Back in 2000, Honda/Acura came out with their 1st 5 speed transmission and within a couple of years the transmissions started self destructing. In some cases the self destruction was dangerous as the cars would drastically decelerate while driving at highway speeds almost like you were slamming on the brakes. If you do a Consumer Reports reliability search on any Honda/Acura from that era that had a 5 speed transmission, you will see that it has a black dot because of the transmission problems.

I had a 2001 Acura TL. I never had it fail, but once I noticed a weird shift and when I mentioned it to the SM he immediately told me to bring it in and they replaced the trans with a rebuild. The dealer was told to not open the transmission up and send it directly to the manufacturer as they wanted to dismantle them at the factory. Honda had a hard time figuring out the problem and they issued a couple of recalls to try and fix the problem and even after the rebuild I had to take mine in a couple of times (Again even though I never experienced a failure). In the end they narrowed it down to a design flaw where the third gear clutch pack wasn't getting enough lubrication and would self destruct. Honda/Acura ended up extending warranties for all cars with the 5 speed transmissions for 7 years/120K miles manufactured between 2000 and I believe 2003, whether or not you ever had a transmission failure.

I also had a similar, though not as drastic issue in our previous 2004 Toyota Landcruiser. While it was still under the B2B warranty the rear view camera went on the fritz. Again, all replaced under warranty, but I got a notice in the mail later that Toyota was extending the warranty coverage on the RV camera to 5 years/100K miles as there was apparently an issue with the rear view cameras used that year.

Now your case seems to be a one off failure that happens on occasion (it still sucks when it happens to you) so I don't see GM offering some extended warranty campaign.

As a doctor once told me, statistics really mean nothing when you end up being the statistic.

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

I agree with gohawks63 (about the car, not the Hawks). Virtually all warranties, whether for cars or just about anything else mechanical or electrical, provide that during the warranty period, the manufacturer will repair or replace defective items, at their discretion. It would be unreasonable to expect a new transmission if the existing one can be repaired by the replacement of one or more defective parts.

Here's what the warranty covers (from the 2013 Cadillac Warranty and Owner Assistance Information Booklet):

"Repairs Covered

The warranty covers repairs to
    correct any vehicle defect, not slight
    noise, vibrations, or other normal
    characteristics of the vehicle related
    to materials or workmanship
    occurring during the warranty
    period. Needed repairs will be
    performed using new,
    remanufactured, or refurbished
    parts."

I doubt that any automotive manufacturer promises to do more.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge
    I agree with gohawks63 (about the car, not the Hawks).
    Aw come on, there's room on the bandwagon!

99flhr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    " I just don't want to be somewhere between "here and there" with my wife and/or grandkids or 92 year old parents and have it let go again. That could escalate into a life and death situation. Dramatic? Probably. A possibility, however, and a car with 50,000 miles should not instill this lack of confidence.
    Not to minimize your issues, but I would point out that any vehicle of any age/mileage could fail and leave you stranded, even a shredded tire in a car with only an inflator kit leaves you dead in the water.
    Prior to the cell phone age this could an issue, considerably less so today.
    Hope this is resolved to your satisfaction

RAB
    RAB is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Tinman, I'm sorry to hear about your transmission troubles. I'm also sorry to hear about Cadillac Customer Service leavin so much to be desired. Extraordinarily unacceptable.
    You can tell a lot about a company by the way they handle issues such as this. In this case Cadillac certainly earns a "Fail".
    I don't blame you for now looking to a completely other brand of vehicle for your next car. After all these years Cadillac still doesn't understand how to deal with customer issues, and some of the ways (often simple ways) to retain customers. These days, more than ever, customer service is everything. Most of Cadillac's direct competition understand this point very well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.