Dropped Trans - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Dropped Trans in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; gohawks63, very interesting story. unfortunately this is the "state of the nation" now. people luck of troubleshooting skills....and of course ...
    MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

Re: Dropped Trans

gohawks63,

very interesting story. unfortunately this is the "state of the nation" now. people luck of troubleshooting skills....and of course because you as a customer are disconected from the tech they do mostly guess work....very sad....what is even more sad is the fact that most of the dealerships do not care.....

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Okay, so I found an E63 Mercedes wagon with 60,000 miles and is affordable...

caddad08 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2

tinman- wow sorry to read about your problem! While we would rather have you here than in a Merc I personally would say that you need to do what you feel is the best course of action for you.

Just exploring all of my alternatives. If I get a rebuilt transmission, which is what I expect these folks to give me, and it is rebuilt by the same skilled craftsman who rebuilt it the first time, then I will dump the car. I can't live with the prospect of it taking a dump in the middle of Bufu in sunny hot Florida with the wife and dog.

Before I bought my CTS I had looked at the E63. It was too expensive as a used car, so I would have bought a new Vagon (6mt, recaros, no sunroof, thankyouverymuch). However, the Vagon was north of $65 - $70k. I also really wanted a true sports car, so I decided to buy a regular CTS wagon as a DD and get a Porsche Cayman R. Well, then I decided to spend $250k on a new machine for work, so I decided to keep my cash reserves "in case" I ran into lean times with the business. So here I am today. I have made initial contact with the MB dealer to see how the numbers look (initially). Just kicking tires right now, but I have to be prepared.

jeffc83 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 DI Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    Just exploring all of my alternatives. If I get a rebuilt transmission, which is what I expect these folks to give me, and it is rebuilt by the same skilled craftsman who rebuilt it the first time, then I will dump the car. I can't live with the prospect of it taking a dump in the middle of Bufu in sunny hot Florida with the wife and dog.

Before I bought my CTS I had looked at the E63. It was too expensive as a used car, so I would have bought a new Vagon (6mt, recaros, no sunroof, thankyouverymuch). However, the Vagon was north of $65 - $70k. I also really wanted a true sports car, so I decided to buy a regular CTS wagon as a DD and get a Porsche Cayman R. Well, then I decided to spend $250k on a new machine for work, so I decided to keep my cash reserves "in case" I ran into lean times with the business. So here I am today. I have made initial contact with the MB dealer to see how the numbers look (initially). Just kicking tires right now, but I have to be prepared.
    That you do...hope you end up sticking around if you do decide to switch manufacturers!!!

I'm just hoping they don't screw this up for you!

I'm with you, Jeff. They should make it easy for me to stick around.

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFex
    gohawks63,

very interesting story. unfortunately this is the "state of the nation" now. people luck of troubleshooting skills....and of course because you as a customer are disconected from the tech they do mostly guess work....very sad....what is even more sad is the fact that most of the dealerships do not care.....
    I grew up working in my uncle's auto repair shop so I get that they can't just replace parts. That's why I was trying to help them with troubleshooting. It was obvious that the SM was clueless and wasn't communicating what was going on as they (he) kept referencing diagnostic codes.

It was frustrating for me and I understand the challenges of troubleshooting sporadic issues. That's why I was trying to help. You can imagine how frustrating (for the customer) it is when you get someone who is less technically inclined.

OMG
    OMG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS4 3.6DI

Sounds like you a dealership issue for sure. My CTS had it's trans replaced at 35k mi with a new one (not rebuilt) in 2010. Don't see why they couldn't give you a new one. My experience with my caddy dealership has been pretty effin' awesome.

MoFex is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options

What does "affordable" mean?

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    I grew up working in my uncle's auto repair shop so I get that they can't just replace parts. That's why I was trying to help them with troubleshooting. It was obvious that the SM was clueless and wasn't communicating what was going on as they (he) kept referencing diagnostic codes....
    Most problems in this world are caused by morons. I wonder if there's a moron-detector app?

----------

Good luck with that. I had a 2004 E55 for two years -- fun car to drive but expensive to maintain.

Quote Originally Posted by MoFex View Post
    What does "affordable" mean?
    About $35k. Alas, too late, it's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post

Most problems in this world are caused by morons. I wonder if there's a moron-detector app?
    Now THERE is a million dollar idea!

Judge, what kind of issues did you have with your E55?

----------

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc83 View Post
    Now THERE is a million dollar idea!
    Yeah, but what happens when it's used by morons to detect morons?

The_Judge is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 CTS 3.6 Premium, Black on Black, 19" Summer Tire Package

----------

Don't recall the details, but it was in the shop every few months for something. It ate tires -- very expensive tires -- for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Had problems with alignment, including the rear wheels.

----------

I guess it would have to be password protected...then again....lol.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.