2009 CTS AWD pulsation or rumble when braking
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By C&C
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, 2009 CTS AWD pulsation or rumble when braking in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Two weeks ago, I bought a 2009 CTS 3.6L SFI AWD from a Jaguar dealer in AZ. It has 18" ...
    Maxicat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6L SFI AWD, Red/Cashmere

Question 2009 CTS AWD pulsation or rumble when braking

Two weeks ago, I bought a 2009 CTS 3.6L SFI AWD from a Jaguar dealer in AZ. It has 18" wheels, the sports suspension, 77,000 miles and brand new tires. (The Jag dealer said they gave it an oil change and alignment, and that it passed their 'inspection'). I received a Carfax, which did not indicate any accidents or other issues. I just love the car, but am worried it may have a problem. It needed recall 11029 (rear susp toe link), so last week it was done at a Caddy dealer in AZ. The dealer then re-aligned all four wheels, and said the front driver's side was hard to do. They looked for evidence of a prior collision, but found none. Now, upon braking when going over 35 mph, there is a moderate pulsation or rumbling feeling which seems to be coming from the front driver's wheel. There's no problem actually stopping the car. The rotors are shiny and clean. The car does not pull to either side when moving. Any suggestion on what may be causing that pulsating or rumbling sensation would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

rdomeck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Wagon

Re: 2009 CTS AWD pulsation or rumble when braking

You have a warped rotor. You can try and machine them, but they will warp again in a shorter amount of time. They warp from heat. You should always do both sides at a time and always replace the pads when you machine or replace rotors. You should expect to pay about $75 per rotor, $60 for pads and maybe $120 in labor.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Maxicat View Post
    Two weeks ago, I bought a 2009 CTS 3.6L SFI AWD from a Jaguar dealer in AZ. It has 18" wheels, the sports suspension, 77,000 miles and brand new tires. (The Jag dealer said they gave it an oil change and alignment, and that it passed their 'inspection'). I received a Carfax, which did not indicate any accidents or other issues. I just love the car, but am worried it may have a problem. It needed recall 11029 (rear susp toe link), so last week it was done at a Caddy dealer in AZ. The dealer then re-aligned all four wheels, and said the front driver's side was hard to do. They looked for evidence of a prior collision, but found none. Now, upon braking when going over 35 mph, there is a moderate pulsation or rumbling feeling which seems to be coming from the front driver's wheel. There's no problem actually stopping the car. The rotors are shiny and clean. The car does not pull to either side when moving. Any suggestion on what may be causing that pulsating or rumbling sensation would be greatly appreciated.
    Hello Maxicat,

Congratulations on your new CTS! Have you brought up this issue of the pulsation and rumble when braking with your Cadillac dealership? If you would like assistance in working with the dealership, I would be more than happy to assist you. Send me a private message if that is the route you would like to pursue. I look forward to hearing from you about this issue. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

like2drive is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS RWD 3.6L SFI Black Cherry / Cashmere

Quote Originally Posted by rdomeck View Post
    You have a warped rotor. You can try and machine them, but they will warp again in a shorter amount of time. They warp from heat. You should always do both sides at a time and always replace the pads when you machine or replace rotors. You should expect to pay about $75 per rotor, $60 for pads and maybe $120 in labor.
    Actually, the cost might be more than that. At the dealership, the OEM JE5 (standard) front pads are $154 and each front rotor (OEM new) is $114. My dealership charges $156 to machine them, which I thought was steep. If you elect to have your front brakes replaced, you need to add the labor, which is around $120 an hour. If you can do it yourself, needless to say that you'll save a lot of money. I recently bought the OEM rotors for $52 each and OEM pads for $79. Now, my car is pulsation free when I apply the brakes - love it!

C&C
    C&C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS (2011)

You MAY have a warped rotor(s) but I would try some some hard braking (obviously in a safe place) first. No need to invoke ABS (but do three or four aggressive brakings; it may just be some glazing on the rotors and/or pads. Warped rotors are not as common as they are blamed (though they can and do occur). Do the easy stuff first, then if the pulsation remains, investigate the more expensive remedies. Best of luck in getting this rectified.

A link for more reading if interested: http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
    99flhr and 99flhr like this.

Maxicat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS 3.6L SFI AWD, Red/Cashmere

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful input. I will try the hard braking route first, and if that doesn't work, I will likely contact the dealer to discuss my options. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.