Putting
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Putting in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; Hello all and thank you for making me feel welcome. I bought an '08 CTS DI back when it was ...
    anpirz is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Putting

Hello all and thank you for making me feel welcome. I bought an '08 CTS DI back when it was brand new for finishing my second deployment to Iraq. The car has been wonderful so far but I'm having a little issue. It has 75k miles on it and has had all the proper maintenance done. I just had an issue with a misfire with a coil (fixed with OEM part) but there has been an underlying "putting" sound when I hit the gas. I was wondering if it could be the spark plugs bc I did the injectors, cleaned the K&N air filter, and just replaced the bad coil. My car lacks the power I am used to it having and it is consuming more gas. Please help me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

Re: Putting

I thought this was going to be a golf thread.

It's possible that your MAF is dirty. Overoiled K&N filters will do that. Just a thought.
    Have you pulled your codes?

No idea what pulling codes means lol. But the check engine light is not on. Plus, this putting has been happening even before I put theK&N in. It started over 6 months ago and I have slowly tried everything I know and it's still there. Now it is more frequent. If I floor it, the car may go fast or it may putt and hesitate before catching.

EcSTSatic is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 STS - diamond white

How to pull the DTC
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...odes-dtcs.html

The plug(s) could be fouled from the coil problem.

I've replaced the plug to the bad coil but can the bad coil effect the other plugs?

Ranger is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)

I don't think the CTS has the capability to pull DTC's via the DIC, nor does any Cadillac after '05 (if I remember correctly).

Will move this to CTS forum .

Ok please send me a link to the thread, I can't seem to find where you moved it to.

Will these codes tell me minor things that the check engine light won't? How often should I be doing this?

Plus I had asked if having one misfire in a coil effect the rest of the plugs? Should I just change them all?

jghiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Sedan Lux Silver Coast

Have dealer run scan tool to check for codes. Do you get the monthly diagnostic report? Anything shown on that? If you dont get that report, sign up for it on the Onstar website.

RAB
    RAB is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Premium AWD Sport Sedan w/FE5 - RadiantSilver|Ebony

Minor detail... the monthly diagnostic report referred to in above post requires a subscription to OnStar.

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

For one thing, my opinion is to never replace just one plug. Just change all 6 and take a look and smell of the old plugs coming out. They can tell you a lot about whats going on.
    You didn't say if the car was doing it idle, under load or at highway speeds. If it's only under load, I would suspect injectors. At cruising speed, I would consider the throttle body. At idle, bad plugs, bad fuel filter, bad gas.

blunted is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '94 Eldorado , '12 CTS Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by C "T" ess View Post
    For one thing, my opinion is to never replace just one plug. Just change all 6 and take a look and smell of the old plugs coming out. They can tell you a lot about whats going on.
    +1
    If it was me, i'd change all the plugs and take a good look at them. Might be that another coil is going out as well.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by anpirz View Post
    Hello all and thank you for making me feel welcome. I bought an '08 CTS DI back when it was brand new for finishing my second deployment to Iraq. The car has been wonderful so far but I'm having a little issue. It has 75k miles on it and has had all the proper maintenance done. I just had an issue with a misfire with a coil (fixed with OEM part) but there has been an underlying "putting" sound when I hit the gas. I was wondering if it could be the spark plugs bc I did the injectors, cleaned the K&N air filter, and just replaced the bad coil. My car lacks the power I am used to it having and it is consuming more gas. Please help me!
    Hello anpirz,

I am glad to hear you are feeling welcomed to the forums, as you should! You have received some great information from other members, and jghiller mentioned the dealership scanning tool to check for codes. Are you thinking about taking your vehicle into the dealership to scan for codes? Please let us know, and if there is anything we can do to further assist.

Regards,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Thank you very much, Laura, you and the rest of the members on this thread have been very helpful. I will be going to Vera Cadillac here in South Florida to pull up codes and take the appropriate action.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by anpirz View Post
    Thank you very much, Laura, you and the rest of the members on this thread have been very helpful. I will be going to Vera Cadillac here in South Florida to pull up codes and take the appropriate action.
    Hello anpirz,

You are very welcome. I am glad to hear the members have been very helpful for you. I want to stay involved throughout this process and further assist you if needed. We can continue our interaction via private message. Feel free to keep me updated on the outcome of your dealership visit.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS Shooting Brake W/Performance package, 3.6 DI

Again, I agree with others regarding 6 plugs vs. 1 plug. You have 75 k on the clock, close enough to change them all out at this time. I also agree with CT"ess" on the bad fuel, filter as well.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.