Putting - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2008-2013 Cadillac CTS General Discussion Discussion, Putting in Cadillac CTS Second Generation Forum - 2008-2013; One follow up question. If I am changing the plugs myself (which due to my financial situation at the moment ...
    anpirz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    One follow up question. If I am changing the plugs myself (which due to my financial situation at the moment is a real possibility) how difficult would it be to do the TB? I've heard that spark plug issues can muck up the TB and if I'm already under the good I may as well do it right. I just did the TB but I'm told that the unlit fuel in there can cause carbon deposits fast. I am moderately mechanically inclined and really want my ride back to its full potential. Since someone said that if I change one plug then change them all. If I'm changing the plugs after misfires should I just clean the TB?

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: Putting

It would never harm anything to clean the tb. If you don't then I wouldn't worry about it. Changing all plugs should help immensely. Now I haven't changed our plugs so I am not intimate with our engine. That being said, wear safety glasses and if our plugs are recessed then blow out the cavity before pulling plugs so any sand/dirt in there doesn't drop in. When installing new plugs check gap. Hand install and hand tighten to avoid cross threading. And put anti sieze on threads so they are easy to remove next time. Torque to specs.

Tinman, did everything like you said. It was cake. Nothing is in the way. You might want to take off the crossbar (I was advised by another forum member) because it will cut time in the end. The coil plug is a bit tricky but nothing too difficult, use a flathead as a wedge on it.
    Now, when I took out the plug from the new coil I had installed two weeks earlier, I noticed that 2 week old plug had a LOT of carbon deposits on the lip. Is this from misfires?

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Grey deposits are from too much or unburned fuel. Black tar looking deposits are from oil. Post a picture if you can.

Can't get a photo with my phone, it doesn't t resize it correctly. I can tell you this though, it is charcoal gray just like the carbon deposits on my gun after the range.

----------

Can this be due to all the misfiring within these 2 weeks? Should I be concerned or is this expected with misfires?

C "T" ess is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS Coupe

Try a couple of tanks of premium and then check the plugs again. I'm not saying to permanently change to premium but a couple of tanks may give you a better indication of what could possibly be going awry.

hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Sportwagon 18.2city 28hwy 25hwy AC on

Charcoal grey is too much fuel, not enough air, can be caused by a bad plug or one fouled by a bad coil. Listen to the putting noise while you are still using 87 octane. Could it be spark knock causing a slight stumble? If it is, premium fuel should slow the flame front and suppress the noise. If not, as CTEss said, continuing on premium fuel has no benefit, unless your car adjusts it's timing electronically by listening for high advance knocking.

If it is knocking, it's also possible the fuel in the tank is less than 87 octane = change gas stations.

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Yep, use a "top tier" fuel.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.